SAU Community

R35 Rims Cracking!

kymbo

Just had a new set of the Dunlop's fitted to my black 2010 R35. My car has now only done 11,000Km and the Bridgestones were stuffed. In fact the inside edges were starting to show the belts.

Just when I thought the car should be ready, The tyre dealer brought in my left rear rim and pointed out a full blown crack on the inside rim lip that had made its way right through to the inside body, to the point where the knurling starts. I took some pics that I will post when I get a chance.

This is a bloody serious issue!

The tyre dealer said he has never seen that on a quality rim. I thought these rims were meant to be top quality Rays Wheels???????

I suggest all R35 owners check there rims for cracking, particularly the inside rim lip. In the least you could get a quick release of pressure, or at worst midway through a very hard corner at your local track or favourite mountain road the rim fails, and your wheel locks into the wheel well sending you off to the pearly gates a little sooner than you hoped?

My QLD Nissan dealer now has the car and said it would take about a week to get Melbourne to approve the warranty claim and get a new rim up. The Murano loaner, is just not cutting it.

Good luck and if anybody finds a crack, and considering how nutty our government is on OH&S, I hear a 'RECALL' coming!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a bugger. Could it have been a big pothole hit?

When i had a couple of cheaper rims crack, a few people told me stories about QUALITY rims cracking, FWIW.

If it was a pothole there would be evidence of the rim hitting the road, that would void warranty and the QLD dealer wouldn't bother asking Melbourne for a warranty job. For the tyre place and dealer not to mention anything like it has hit a pothole, then it really shouldn't have cracked. There is no excuse for the standard rim to crack if the rim it self didn't make contact with the road.

With these wheels being made in batches of hundreds at a time and with the fact that these cars are likely to get abused in their lifetime, I doubt this is the end of the story of R35 wheels cracking.

If it was a pothole there would be evidence of the rim hitting the road, that would void warranty and the QLD dealer wouldn't bother asking Melbourne for a warranty job. For the tyre place and dealer not to mention anything like it has hit a pothole, then it really shouldn't have cracked. There is no excuse for the standard rim to crack if the rim it self didn't make contact with the road.

With these wheels being made in batches of hundreds at a time and with the fact that these cars are likely to get abused in their lifetime, I doubt this is the end of the story of R35 wheels cracking.

There are countless examples online of wheels cracking without visible evidence of abuse/damage.

Could be a lot of reasons for a stress fracture.

Let's see some pics of the entire wheel.

Metal fatigue verdict I presume will ultimately result from

* a series of anecdotes

* metal compression/stress testing

* batch feedback

I just hope we don't hear of a recall like what Audi had to do with some of their rims in the 90s

...and worse still, loss of life.

As you can see by these photos, the rim has a clean crack, with NO other rim damage.

I have never hit anything hard like a big pothole etc. I haven't even used the launch control. The car is always properly serviced and maintained.

Anyway, the latest word from the Nissan A-holes in Melbourne is that my rim is bent and it is my fault. Talk about dodging the issue?

LOOK AT THE PICS AND YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK?

WHY SPEND $180K ON A CAR THAT NISSAN WILL NOT STAND BEHIND!

post-75605-0-46281600-1299825054_thumb.jpg

post-75605-0-83011500-1299825262_thumb.jpg

post-75605-0-19291600-1299825147_thumb.jpg

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW I CAN GET THIS POST WITH THESE PICS ONTO OTHER GTR SITES AROUND THE WORLD (ESPECIALLY JAPAN & US), SOONER OR LATER SOMEONE IS GOING TO PAY I PRICE THEY DON'T DESERVE!!!!!

ANYWAY, ANYBODY GOT A GOOD 2010 'REAR RIM' WITHOUT A CRACK IN IT, I AM A DEAD SET QUICK SALE!!!!

post-75605-0-34231700-1299825505_thumb.jpg

Edited by kymbo

wow

were you losing tyre pressure before the tyre was changed at all?

Have you thought the tyre place might have done it when removing the tyre?

can you post up a full pic of the rim, square on. that might help see if it's still 100% round

wow

were you losing tyre pressure before the tyre was changed at all?

Have you thought the tyre place might have done it when removing the tyre?

can you post up a full pic of the rim, square on. that might help see if it's still 100% round

Tyre pressure was still holding, but as you can see the crack would only have to advance another mm and it would be a problem. The trouble with cracks though, is they can open slowly, or just let go and fully tear and split the rim. Especially if it is under a lot of force, like turning a corner at speed. Probably another thing Nissan will soon ban. Maybe that is why the cars have a G meters?

As soon as I can get the rim back from the dealer I will take a full rim pic and you will see the rim is perfectly round! and never been hit. NOT EVEN A GUTTER SCRATCH!

I personally watched the tyre place from start to end, even made sure they did not use a rattle gun (hand wheel braces used all round) and very good condition tyre fitting machine used VERY gently. Because I was very concerned about them bumping into the low tyre pressure warning modules.

Edited by kymbo

Tyre pressure was still holding, but as you can see the crack would only have to advance another mm and it would be a problem. The trouble with cracks though, is they can open slowly, or just let go and fully tear and split the rim. Especially if it is under a lot of force, like turning a corner at speed. Probably another thing Nissan will soon ban. Maybe that is why the cars have a G meters?

As soon as I can get the rim back from the dealer I will take a full rim pic and you will see the rim is perfectly round! and never been hit. NOT EVEN A GUTTER SCRATCH!

I personally watched the tyre place from start to end, even made sure they did not use a rattle gun (hand wheel braces used all round) and very good condition tyre fitting machine used VERY gently. Because I was very concerned about them bumping into the low tyre pressure warning modules.

What's Nissans justification for denying warranty? I mean have they explained how they came to their conclusion.

You might consider having the wheel/s x-rayed. Who's to say the others do not have the same flaw.

If you want to buy a near new 2nd hand set of r35 wheels, the going rate is about $3k US on the nagtroc forum. Harder to find individual wheels though.

Id be getting their reason in writing and then calling Nissan Australia head office - you've spent a lot of money with them and thats the sort of customer they wouldnt want to lose (logic being if you can afford a GTR you can probably afford to buy your mrs a new nissan whatever every few years, etc..) so ask them to look after you. Worst case they say no and you are no worse off.

I had a pair of Rays wheels do exactly that, It simply is caused by a big hit whether it be a road join or pot hole. Mine was a road join at a bridge doing 110km/h on the way to heathcote raceway in Vic, did it to my 2 front wheels, no other sign of damage etc just 2 big bloody cracks.

tyre fitter may have dropped it?

Take the wheel back to the tyre shop or a wheel repairing mob to get it spun on their balancing machine, should be able to see any bends then.

If it comes up 100%, get a letter written up, then contact nissan?

Not on an R35 wheel but I have had this happen to me. 3 of my old Rays wheels had 2 or 3 of those cracks on them. They were 20 inch wheels on a GTR and I did hit a pot hole which caused it.

Are you running on factory suspension?

Just when I thought the car should be ready, The tyre dealer brought in my left rear rim....

Are you sure you were watching them 100% of the time? That's pretty hard to do, and i've always feel it's a bit odd/distrustful

The runflats are somewhat of a pain to remove, tyre fitters have damaged my rims trying fwiw.

Are you sure you were watching them 100% of the time? That's pretty hard to do, and i've always feel it's a bit odd/distrustful

The runflats are somewhat of a pain to remove, tyre fitters have damaged my rims trying fwiw.

Based on the dirt in the crack, it seems to have been there for some time.

What the yellow marking from?

Edited by N/A®

Put the wheel on the balancing machine and slowly rotate it using a dial gauge to measure radial runout. Then do the same for face runout. Video both of these (including showing the crack clearly in both videos so they can't accuse you of faking the vid) and send to Nissan proving that the wheel is within factory specs.

Note this may also prove that the wheel is bent (if it actually is). At least you'll know either way, and if the wheel is OK, you'll have some proof that Nissan will be hard pressed to refute.