SAU Community

Water Sloshing Sound In Front Of Dashboard

greenpool

Hey, i've got a 2003 skyline v35. a couple of months back when it was about 40 degrees the coolent started to boil and spurted out which created havoc with the air con. ever since every now and a again when i start the car i hear this

water sloshing sound in front of the dashboard. anybody know why this happens? or experienced this before?

any advice on what i should do?

thanks a lot.

Is it still losing coolant? Sounds like maybe the heater box is leaking coolant into the ducting.

Can u smell coolant with the heater or aircon on?

hey i haven't really tested it. what is it meant to smell like? i'll try it and get back to you.

i called nissan service center and they said they won't look at it cos its an import, something about how they're computers won't sync with mine :(

i called my dealer skyimports in melbourne and they said they'll have a look on tuesday.

is it still ok to drive it around? how severe is the problem? i clearly dunno much about this.

thanks a lot btw.

hey i haven't really tested it. what is it meant to smell like? i'll try it and get back to you.

i called nissan service center and they said they won't look at it cos its an import, something about how they're computers won't sync with mine :(

i called my dealer skyimports in melbourne and they said they'll have a look on tuesday.

is it still ok to drive it around? how severe is the problem? i clearly dunno much about this.

thanks a lot btw.

the air con doesn't smell or anything but i had a look at the coolent and its almost empty...

... what is it meant to smell like?

^ ^ ^ a bit like 34 minute-old ejaculant on floor of passenger footwell :P

see if coolant is leaking behind glove box where heater core might be

shut off heater

refill coolant before driving and take spare water with you whilst driving until it's attended to on tuesday

if you arent leaking water, it means you havent bled your coolant system properly. the sound you're hearing is the water moving around in the air gaps inside the heater core. bleed your coolant properly and it should go away.

if you arent leaking water, it means you havent bled your coolant system properly. the sound you're hearing is the water moving around in the air gaps inside the heater core. bleed your coolant properly and it should go away.

hey thanks, yup there's nothing leaking atm.

i'm new to all this. is bleeding the coolant easy to do? what does it involve doing?

thanks a lot.

you need to get all of the air out of your coolant system. it involves filling up your radiator, letting the car get to operating temperature and revving the engine to about 3000rpm every now and then while still keeping the coolant topped up. you need to keep an eye on the temperature, making sure it doesnt overheat.

you need to be doing all of this while the heater is on full heat @ full fan speed. when it seems like its not releasing any more air, close the radiator cap, let it idle for a little while then crack the bleeder nut which is at the highest point of the cooling system.

if its your first attempt i suggest searching 'how to bleed cooling system'. or get it to a mechanic to sort out.

this has the potential of doing a bit of damage if temps get too high so be careful and dont be afraid to turn the car off if you feel like the temperature is getting too hot.

you need to get all of the air out of your coolant system. it involves filling up your radiator, letting the car get to operating temperature and revving the engine to about 3000rpm every now and then while still keeping the coolant topped up. you need to keep an eye on the temperature, making sure it doesnt overheat.

you need to be doing all of this while the heater is on full heat @ full fan speed. when it seems like its not releasing any more air, close the radiator cap, let it idle for a little while then crack the bleeder nut which is at the highest point of the cooling system.

if its your first attempt i suggest searching 'how to bleed cooling system'. or get it to a mechanic to sort out.

this has the potential of doing a bit of damage if temps get too high so be careful and dont be afraid to turn the car off if you feel like the temperature is getting too hot.

hey thanks for all that info.

i did go see a mechanic today. we tried running the heater on to verify the sloshing sound but nothing happened. because its intermittent and the mechanic couldn't hear it, he asked me to come

back if the coolant runs low (?). i mentioned bleeding the coolant but he said that he can't confirm anything at this point.

would you recommend getting a another mechanic to check it out?

thanks!

Edited by greenpool

Need to get the air bubbles out of the coolant mate.....happened to me with my old 180sx when I installed a new PWR radiator.

I bleed the system but it still had bubbles in the coolant, just keep bleeding it over the next couple of drives and should go away.

Also I squeezed the radiator hoses to push the air bubbles out which helps.....and you need to get the water hot enough to open the thermostat.

I normally cut a 2lite bottle in half and tape it to the top of the radiator so the water level is higher than the engine which helps push the water down.

Edited by 180JDM

thanks. i'm not quite sure how to go about doing that but i'll try to figure it out.

i also need to buy coolant for the car.

is there a specific kind i need to get for a nissan v35 350gt?

thanks.

get any brand but make sure its concentrated or get a 50/50 blend. some do a 30/70 on non turbo cars (30 coolant/70 water). its up to you which one you go for - its just an anti-boil/freeze additive.

you'll find that the concentrates are a little cheaper than the pre-mixed stuff.

another quick question.

i've currently got the coolant tank filled with water. above the max cos i didn't know any better lol.

when i've got the coolant, can i mix it with the water? OR wait till the water evaporates and then fill it with coolant?

thanks a lot for ya replies.

you dont need to put anything in the reservoir tank. if its over-filled then it will just drain if your fuel cap ever releases any pressure. its not something you need to fill up.

just concentrate on putting coolant into your radiator.