SAU Community

Earthquake 11/03

NISMO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys ok??

I am, thanks for asking mate. I didnt even feel it but the Japanese teacher in my class did and made us all crawl under the desks. I think one of the guys on here lives in Saitama which is a lot closer - I hope he is alright.

Hey Loach good to here your ok..

I've got friends missing at the moment, cant contact them but hopefully went to higher ground.

Was on the phone to a friend just after the big shock and they got hit by 10 aftershocks.

We were talking when their office started shaking like shit and they bolted outside. He reckons biggest he's felt.

Got hold of another Japanese friend who lives on the coast and they bolted to the mountains and said you could see the tsunami coming towards land.

She reckons the tsunami sirens went off and people left asap but she reckons the tsunami came very quick after the shock..

Scary shit...

Looks like its moving its way up the coast to Hokkaido.

They reckon its 8.8 quake and largest in Japans recorded history.

Loach hows the mobile service and internet...

I cant get through to a lot of friends..

I reckon there will be a big casualty list on this one.

I've seen nothing in the media.

I read the Japanese news most days and have seen bar just the NZ earthquake and the Japneses that lost their lives there.

The thing is Japan shakes and rocks every single day. Theres at least one seismic event everyday.

This one topped their seismic scale so it was big one.

Sendai airport is under water

anyone heard anything about miura city ( kanagawa)? any inundation of tidal waters?

all of my friends are accounted for except this one in miura city that i can not get a hold of.

Hey Loach good to here your ok..

I've got friends missing at the moment, cant contact them but hopefully went to higher ground.

Was on the phone to a friend just after the big shock and they got hit by 10 aftershocks.

We were talking when their office started shaking like shit and they bolted outside. He reckons biggest he's felt.

Got hold of another Japanese friend who lives on the coast and they bolted to the mountains and said you could see the tsunami coming towards land.

She reckons the tsunami sirens went off and people left asap but she reckons the tsunami came very quick after the shock..

Scary shit...

Looks like its moving its way up the coast to Hokkaido.

They reckon its 8.8 quake and largest in Japans recorded history.

Loach hows the mobile service and internet...

I cant get through to a lot of friends..

I reckon there will be a big casualty list on this one.

My internet is fine and I have a friend in Tokyo whose mobile is fine, she said she can see fires from her 10th floor office and the trains have stopped so she is stuck in the building for the night. We had three earthquakes in Gifu last week but they were insignificant compared to this. Japanese people have been talking about the big earthquake that they have been expecting to hit Tokyo ever since I have been here. Doesnt look like this one will have as terrible results as Kobe at least. Thanks for everyones concern, I hope some of the other guys check in soon - Streeter should be ok as I have heard Osaka was fine, I think adam87 is in Kyushuu so as long he is away from the coast he should be fine, anyone who needs somewhere to stay or whatever let me know.

Spoke to streeter last night and he's fine. He didn't even feel it.

Heard top secret and ebisu has abit of damage tho :(

Thoughts are with all the guys there. I was only there 3weeks ago.

This is just so horrible.To any aussies still over there i would be coming home asap,those power plants look like they could blow any time.I feel so lucky to live in oz. :(

50% chance in the next 6 days of another 'quake further north or south along that same fault line.

(That 7.2 aftershock on Sat was not along the same fault line.)

So if it happens, it may be adjecent to Hokkaido or further south and then south-west tucking in below Tokyo and around to Hakone.

Expected magnitude is in the order of 7.9