SAU Community

Earthquake 11/03

NISMO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Terry its 70% chance and they had 6.2 around 11am Japan time this morning.

Doubt there will ever big a big one in or around Hokkaido as its on the outer edge of the fault line.

Reactor 3 has gone boom and now measuring radiation fallout and anyone thats in the 20km zone has been told to stay indoors.

Honestly knowing the bullshit the Japanese authorities feed the general public I wouldnt be surprised if its a lot worse than they are saying.

Japan has a motto of what you dont know does not hurt you.

Honestly knowing the bullshit the Japanese authorities feed the general public I wouldnt be surprised if its a lot worse than they are saying.

Japan has a motto of what you dont know does not hurt you.

They did that with the '95 Kobe one didn't they?

I wonder if they do get more smaller fractures less than 6.5, that there'll be less chance of the odd larger one.

Yep they lied through their teeth on that one and kept everyone in the dark and were useless with getting help to people and refused foreign aid.

It was actually the Yakuza who opened their doors, helped out with food and water and supplies immediately after the earthquake.

Even yesterday there were Japanese politicians denying there had been a possible meltdown whereas the government spokesman Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano had said in all probability there had been a meltdown.

Thing is, in both sides of the government their is a very pro nuclear faction...it makes money and if the shit hits the fan the Japanese people will not want anymore reactors.

The other thing is the f*kushima power station was 40 years old and was due to be decommissioned.

And latest on the f*kushima plant that according to the government isnt anything to worry about...

Now number 2 reactor cooling isnt working and hydrogen gas is being produced.

They are expecting the possibility of this one exploding as well.

Isn't the F-ukushima Daichi #1 much older than the other 3?

And is it true that #3 which has been of risk in the last 18hrs, much more potentially devastating becuase of using 5/6 plutonium to 1/6 uranium?

Shinmoedake volcano which is still on the Pacific Plate rim, but to the s-W on Kyushu is demonstrating built up pressure from being in a subduction zone right?

Perhaps Mts Aso and Kagoshima are more active down there too?

Shinmoedake volcano is blowing its stack again.

Its been going off and on for the last couple of months but shows that theres something definitely going on.

Dai ichi #1 reactor I'm pretty sure was built by general electric and the others by the Japanese.

Yep #3 has the more potent combo of plutonium & uranium. #2 I dont know but I think its the same as #3.

Thing is the whole place is pretty old and has had accidents which has been swept under the carpet.

The only good thing is the casing structure layers are extremely good but after massive explosions like they had today, hoe the hell are they getting close enough to examine them properly.

So much for this not being worse than Kobe, looks like it will end up having caused a much greater loss of life.

A friend who lives in Tokyo sent me an email about what is happening now:

"However, you will be surprised at grocery store in Tokyo. There are not bottle of water, milk, toilet paper, and some frozen food. I talked to a clerk, and he said he does not have food delivery to the store since the earthquake. A lot of food are coming from north east area in Tokyo.We also have blackouts because of power plants including nuclear plants were damaged. Fortunately I could go to the office today, but most of colleagues were absent. Many trains stopped. My company recommends working at home. I had very bad rush hour because of poor train schedule."

Edited by *LOACH*

Oh these poor people,no water no food,no where to stay and freezing weather,i really feel for them. :(:(

Yes, Sendai temp is -2 today and -3 tomorrow. ^ ^ ^

The 1st month of spring is always more like winter :/

Fuel rods are exposed now on what 3 reactors? > Temp? > H2 build up? > Seawater feedpipes need repairing?

I'm concerned about meltdown on #2 & #3 more so than #1. But then Chernobyl was an old reactor too.

Nissan, Honda and even Toyota (further away near Nagoya) have suspended wk.

After Kobe '95, the NIKKEI dropped about 25% over 6 months, but the following year it went up again by 52% via rebuilding.

Besides Mt Shinmoedake, is there any increased thermal activity around Noboribetsu to the north; or Hakone west of Tokyo?

Sorry, I'm all over the place in this post.

Yes, Sendai temp is -2 today and -3 tomorrow. ^ ^ ^

The 1st month of spring is always more like winter :/

Fuel rods are exposed now on what 3 reactors? > Temp? > H2 build up? > Seawater feedpipes need repairing?

I'm concerned about meltdown on #2 & #3 more so than #1. But then Chernobyl was an old reactor too.

Nissan, Honda and even Toyota (further away near Nagoya) have suspended wk.

After Kobe '95, the NIKKEI dropped about 25% over 6 months, but the following year it went up again by 52% via rebuilding.

Besides Mt Shinmoedake, is there any increased thermal activity around Noboribetsu to the north; or Hakone west of Tokyo?

Sorry, I'm all over the place in this post.

The notorious Chernobyl-4 RBMK1000 reactor was an inherently stable and relatively safe design except during startup and shutdown, and it only blew up because the operators did unimaginably stupid things...

"The probability of this occurring is hard to calculate primarily because of the possibility of what are called common-cause accidents, where the loss of offsite power and of onsite power are caused by the same thing. In this case, it was the earthquake and tsunami. So we're in uncharted territory, we're in a land where probability says we shouldn't be. And we're hoping that all of the barriers to release of radioactivity will not fail."

Physicist Ken Bergeron, who has performed research on nuclear reactor accident simulation at Sandia National Laboratory in New Mexico, in Scientific American.

http://www.alternet....ossible_coverup

http://au.news.yahoo...-nuclear-plant/

Edited by Shazza24

50 workers at the F-ukushima Daiichi plant have been evacuated from the site.

This is a precautionary measure due to the fact that 100s of millisieverts are being emitted into the air per hour.

No residents are to be with a 30km radius of the plant.

Now why am I thinking that the remaining workers are sacrificing their lives for the greater good???????????????????????????????????????

Shinmoedake volcano which is still on the Pacific Plate rim, but to the s-W on Kyushu is demonstrating built up pressure from being in a subduction zone right?

Perhaps Mts Aso and Kagoshima are more active down there too?

mum in law who is 8kms from volcano has said its been thumping away lately but people arent talking as much about it now as everyone else is so much worse off. i still would be shitting bricks having that thing in the back yard

This is a precautionary measure due to the fact that 100s of millisieverts are being emitted into the air per hour.

Now why am I thinking that the remaining workers are sacrificing their lives for the greater good???????????????????????????????????????

Well what would you propose? Everyone abandon the site from the get go and let it go into uncontrollable meltdown?

Edited by ironpaw

The french now want any/all of their citizens to leave Japan or at least head to south Japan. Seeing how they derive 78.8% of their power from atomic energy i would be inclined to listen to them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/16/uk-japan-quake-france-idUSLNE72F04W20110316

Well what would you propose? Everyone abandon the site from the get go and let it go into uncontrollable meltdown?

I think you may have misread the ambiguity of my last Q.

I was actually being complimentary of their dedication and courage. :thumbsup: