SAU Community

300Zx Drift Car

sogeCEO

Like the title states has anyone chosen the 300zx as a drift car and has been successful? Has it been a reliable vehicle free from hassles,

easy to mod with parts readily available online and no need for custom this and custom that? As a drift car what are peoples thoughts

can anyone give me details on the pro's and con's of this car as a sustainable drift car?

I know there is a 300zx drift car setup by sureflo there was one guy in the D1 with a yellow 300zx on youtube.

Only reason im asking is im sick of seeing 180's and silvia's on the track i personally drive and drift a R33 and i love it, just wanted to know the differences.

Cheers, Jace

Alot of people complain about the R33's being able to spin out easily.... I find it's pretty hard for the R33 to lose rear end grip compared to a silvia/180/R32 and drifts being hard to sustain in a lower powered R33 GTS-T. However I have noticed once the LSD kicks in properly and your laying down power on both wheels I am confident on taking the R33 sideways without much of spinning out. I guess it comes down to the driver.

I have driven a TT Z32 and you can feel the weight of it. The poor 3L needs those turbos! I have alot less confidence in chucking that thing around compared to my R33... ALOT less. Weighing alot it would need full suspension, engine, hydraulic handbrake etc. And at the end of the day the VG30DETT is a prick of an engine to work on in a 300ZX engine bay. How many 33 drift cars do you see!!! They are all silvia/180/R32's!

My 2c

If you have any friends witt a twin turbo 300zx ask them if you can look at the engine bay. U will see issue number one... They are a pain in the ass to work on.

Issue number two IMHO would be that while the vg30dett does produce some good power and more torque it is offset by the fact the car its self is a bit heavier.

And I imagine the after market support for z32 may not be as great as for skyline and silvia

I guess it is true the tracks a riddled with 180's and silvia's and R32's, there really isnt any R33's as a drift car kinda why i chose it, its something different

to look at, as for the engine bay of the 300zx i have seen the vg30dett in person and was very surprised that there was no F##KING room to work

around, as for the mod support i guess it would be less then the R33.

My R33 GTS-T is currently running the standard lsd and i dont really find it hard to spin out but would a proper 1.5 or 2.0 way be better?

Drifting isnt about being different... The only reason said cars are more popular is they are piss easy to work on and theres a gazillion parts out there for them.

The only flaw imo with 300 is the engine bay space. If you where going to use it for drifting/racing you could lose a lot of weight by stripping it and fibre glassed panels etc.

Also the overheating problem would be easily addressed.

I cant remember what parts but there is interchangeable from other nissan that fit 300's, might be good to check out some 300zx forums.

If I was going to use one for track one of the first power mods Id be doing would be to convert it to single turbo, will free up a bit of space and reduce engine bay temperatures slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned a 300zx Twin Turbo for nearly three years now. They are a bit of a pain to work on but not impossible and I knew nothing about them before now I do all the work myself with the help of aus300zx.com theres also a few drift 300zx on there and many in the USA. I really gotta say it, there isnt an overheating problem with the 300zx, any 20yr old car without a maintained cooling system will overheat. Its not as if they were shipped from the factory with overheating problems. I've never gone over 85cdeg in a 21yr old TT 300zx and all I did was replace the cooling system, radiator, thermo, waterpump. Easy as. Theres a lot of aftermarket support check out conceptzperformance.com 300zx come in 2+2, 2+0 and hardtop varients also which would be better for drifting. Hope this was of some help. Thats mine below.

DSC00049.jpg