SAU Community

Wa Salmon

t_revz

Well its my favourite time of year again. usually from Feb-late May i spend more than half of my weekends down south on the beach drinking and catching some excellent fish. last year they came early and caught a dozen at new year. this year most people i know havent got any until this last week...finally.I had a go start of Jan and got none and havent been back since becoming a dad 5 weeks ago but enough is enough and im due to make up for lost time. despite that they arent the best tasting fish we like them as i always have a fresh supply coming in. usually between 3.5-6.5kg sometimes bigger.. but i think 4-5kg ones have the most fight in them

who else is into this yearly ritual? Get amongst it!!

post-24655-0-56368900-1301317688_thumb.jpg

Mitchell Rocks near Yallingup

All the rest are at Malimup Beach

post-24655-0-49880200-1301317713_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-03814200-1301317791_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-74013800-1301317865_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-64275900-1301317900_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-41889300-1301317944_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-53353900-1301318151_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-32778300-1301318297_thumb.jpg

Can remember if there is a reason why i was carrying a knife in my mouth or it was just for the photo...

more photos to come...

Edited by t_revz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading down to Cape Ritchie for easter to *maybe* drop a line in the ocean if there's time between drinking. Any tips on good spots along the south coast?

cape riche is meant to be the goods. havent stopped there since i was a kid. but Fishing Wa has done Salmon episodes there and done ok. i generally fish around Windy Harbour which is 2 1/2 hours away for me. Malimup Beach is my favourite as i always do well and the beach is long so no problem if it gets crowded. Mates got back yesterday from Broke Inlet and got plenty of fish but only 1 salmon trout. We dont have any problems drinking and fishing at the same time...rod in holder and wait...

Nice.. we were down there last year but the weather was terrible (hoping it is again.. sick of this heat :P), couldn't cast into the wind and noone was game enough to swim some bait out for us :laugh:

A couple of guys i work with went down to Windy harbor 2 weeks ago and caught nothing at all. I did get told on Fri that apparently a few have been caught up near Hungry Hollow there and also over near the cut on Belvedere side near the reef, havent tested the waters yet so am unsure if its true

Nice.. we were down there last year but the weather was terrible (hoping it is again.. sick of this heat :P), couldn't cast into the wind and noone was game enough to swim some bait out for us :laugh:

haha funny story...we went to Deep Dene near Augusta for Easter 2 yrs ago. could see them 100m out but couldnt get to them. 4 of us swam out about 10m from the school. casted and hooked up then swam back and reeled them in. after getting about 6 someone caught one that had been beaten up so we stayed out incase we looked tasty to the sharks

A couple of guys i work with went down to Windy harbor 2 weeks ago and caught nothing at all. I did get told on Fri that apparently a few have been caught up near Hungry Hollow there and also over near the cut on Belvedere side near the reef, havent tested the waters yet so am unsure if its true

yeah all my mates have only been catching flathead and bream down south until last week. mate rang last tues and said they got 8 in the arvo. then another call yesterday from a mate who only fishes once every 5 yrs and has no idea and even he got half dozen at malimup from the rocks. said they were hooking up every 2nd or 3rd cast but kept losing them. havent heard of any up further especially in bunno...

Heading down to Cape Ritchie for easter to *maybe* drop a line in the ocean if there's time between drinking. Any tips on good spots along the south coast?

was just trawling for news down south. few reports of salmon at bremer bay 2 weeks ago. up to 7kg so should be fine at cape riche if weather permits. also few big ones around albany but seems it has to be the right day.big schools but far between from what i can gather

haha funny story...we went to Deep Dene near Augusta for Easter 2 yrs ago. could see them 100m out but couldnt get to them. 4 of us swam out about 10m from the school. casted and hooked up then swam back and reeled them in. after getting about 6 someone caught one that had been beaten up so we stayed out incase we looked tasty to the sharks

lol nice work!

was just trawling for news down south. few reports of salmon at bremer bay 2 weeks ago. up to 7kg so should be fine at cape riche if weather permits. also few big ones around albany but seems it has to be the right day.big schools but far between from what i can gather

Well hopefully we can nab some as they're wandering back and forth between Albany and Bremer Bay :D

Mate went down yesterday to Malimup Beach for 2 nights. will have an update tomorrow... if you wanna some additional luck jump on RigMasterTackle and look at the Surf poppers. Those things are like honey to a bee. Salmon cant say no. you can buy them from fishing shops in "Geoff Wilson" pre-made rig packs for about $5 but the hooks are crap and fall off so need to change hooks before use, so i buy poppers individually and make my own rigs. when using popper and bait at the same time i get 9/10 on popper and only 1/10 on mulies...

forgot to mention i get them at BCF but have seen other places. Geoff Wilson tangle free surf popper rig and has Salmon as the only targeted species...

going down this Sat morning overnight so will keep ya posted. got excited and pulled out all my gear for clean up and prep...Cant wait. make sure to tell your mates if you destroy them its natural ability and not the poppers lol

yeah i run a baitfeeder and have used live herring but i find the poppers to be better and less work. and i dont wanna be wasting time catching herring when the big boys are around

• 2 weeks later...

well finally got down on the beach on the weekend with the boys in search of salmon. twas like easter with all the cars up the bloody beach. got about 2kms up when i spotted a school about 15m wide but sitting 70+ metres out. we went up 200m in front of them and rigged up. but unfortunately when they got just before us they split up and disapeared. tried for a while but no good.

went up the beach further to better spot and was a fish head cut off from a 7-8Kg salmon. hour of two and few stubbies later and BAM. two of the guys got tangled together with a fish on the other end. they got it in but it came off as a wave was coming in. i was on my way over to help and as it came off the hook i jumped on top of it and held it til the water retracted. weighed in at 4.8Kg

5 mins later and another but only 2kg. no more before dark. had a very very messy night with lots of beer/port and wrestling and i ended up reproducing the port and wasnt up for fishing in the morning. the others had a go but nothing around. saw lots heads on the beach on the way out so the other people down there went ok. they are around but i think just out a touch too far on this occasion. hopefully when i go again at easter or before i have better luck.

ps both fish were caught on "the popper" and port is now banned on fishing trips

post-24655-0-60975400-1302700345_thumb.jpg

post-24655-0-62596500-1302700387_thumb.jpg

unfortunately :whistling: going to bremer bay for work mon and tues so hoping to wet a line. gotta get as many as possible before the city folk come down at Easter and swarm the beaches :nyaanyaa:

Edited by t_revz

• Latest Posts

• I say this and there’s a Nistune r34 GTT MT ECU for sale on eBay.de but I need to figure out compatibility between the AT harness and MT ECU - TCS considered. I figure this HKS SLD is a quick bandaid anyhow. 
    • It’s a high priority but I can’t get a Nistune in before my next Nurburgring trip. 180 is pretty easy to hit on the back straight of the GP course. I should have got the Nistune installed in Japan - my friend offered to solder the board - but I had the same problem of just not wanting any downtime for the car. My guess is this winter when I rebuild the rear subframe  (which is what I said back in 2022) 
    • To add to that very useful summary, even in the race/rally r32 gtr I have good quality, new(ish) poly bushes everywhere because that is what rules require, and the handling is excellent. Of course, the car doesn't do many klm but I'd still expect poly bushes to last better in road use than sphericals (especially as I have a couple of klm of dirt road to stuff sphericals up) I would change the front upper arms to spherical if I was allowed to, because the poly bushes flog out often, but otherwise new bushes (and ball joints) and a good alignment can make a world of difference
    • Any chance you can get a Nistune board installed instead and set the speed limit to whatever your tires can handle?
    • Hi all, I need to get this HKS SLD attached to my stock ECU because I've now got the German autobahn and faster European circuits to contend with.  The car is a manual 2dr ER34 with an AT ECU and I've realised the AT ECU has two pins for speed sensor signals: Pin 29: Vehicle speed sensor signal (Vehicle speed sensor 2) Pin *58: Output shaft rotation sensor signal (Vehicle speed sensor 1) - *RB25DET A/T model only Before I go butchering this harness, is anyone sure of which pin is the correct one for signal adjustment? The attached document from HKS indicates pin 29 but I found this situation mentioned in the following thread on a different forum (R34 GTT Auto Trans Speed Cut Problem | Zerotohundred) mentioning pin 58 needing to be altered by member zephuros, albeit it seems to be for an RSM-GP and the info appears to be old.  R34_All_Workshop_Manual-pages-2.pdf R34_All_Workshop_Manual-pages-3.pdf R34_All_Workshop_Manual-pages-1.pdf HKS SLD Vehicle Pin out P59-P70 ER34-pages.pdf