SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Bonnets R34 - Legal Or Not?

ausreptiles

99% of the aftermarket cf bonnets are illegal. There is one Australian company that has met the ADR requirements... Can't remember the name unfortunatly...sorry!!!

Insurance will not cover them. You may also be liable if the bonnet causes personal injury. Eg hit a pedestrian

However, as they do look fantastic <<<<<see avatar...just make sure you have the original in case you get caught.

blits body kits www.blitsbodykits.com.au their about $740, and if you wont the CF look put some CF vinal on it. BTW i just brought one and they are well worth the money. futher more you can shove the ADR in the cops face when he tryes to ping you.

Not 'legal' but I drove around with a carbon bonnet for years... got pulled over a few times... got questioned about how close the exhaust was to the ground and how much tread I had on my tyres... but nobody ever mentioned the bonnet

mine didn't have any vents or holes though, was an exact replica of the standard bonnet just in carbon

The blitz ones looks kinda gay lol.

As for a aftermarket bonnet, it just depends on your luck on the day that you get pulled over. Some cops might care, some cops might not, some might know that it's illegal, some might not.

At the end of the day, they are illegal, it just a matter of time before you get caught with it, you might be lucky, you might be not lol. But then theres another saying, it's not illegal until you get caught xD

and let's face it, it takes about 15min to swap the stocker back on

just don't get the ones with all the vents... they're gay

And most won't have a water channel, which means water will drip straight into your engine bay lol

But yeah, wouldn't wanna keep swapping it, as defects do stay on records (as I've been told by VicRoads, or maybe it's not true as to what Ash said, one min they can say one thing and the next min is different lol)

Blits bonnets are ONLY legal in QLD. in vic the certificate they will give you means nothing.

there have been a few threads about this in the past, pls search for them as i cbf/dont have time now :)

I am going to have to look in to this, why would a ADR tho be illegal in one state and not anothre when ADR stands for Australian Desing Rule.

I thought only pure carbon fibre was illegal due to shattering like shards upon impact. Fibre glass with carbon fibre overlay is most commonly used item for aftermarket bonnets and doesn't seem to bother the law.

Never seen or heard of anyone getting done for bonnet but with insurance it's a different story I guess.

Even though my car came factory with pure carbon fibre bonnet, it's deemed legal in my case due to being a factory item and also the fact that it's color coded to the car :)

Yeah well spoke to just car insurance and apparently it doesn't void my insurance either if declare it. I think it's one of those greyed zones were people just push it to the side cos can't be bothered with all the work to declare it legal/illegal

I think with insurance, it will only void your insurance IF the bonnet was the cause of an accident, eg it flips and smashes your roof then flies off and smashes into the car behind lol

seen that happen to a civic on the western ring road bout year ago didn't hit anyone else which was lucky

No doubt those things happens... a lot. Heard heaps of stories about people having a aftermarket bonnet without bonnet pins lol