SAU Community

Ke?

zebra

Hey guys,

I'll be straight up, not looking to import a car for at least 2 years.

But I would like to become a (slight) guru on importing, Not looking to start a business or anything like that.

What i would like to know are the finer details about picking a car, When I do bring a car over I will be using a broker.

But things like:

X car is $approx $10,000 landed and complied

Now I'm guessing that is less the brokers fee. But what other costs are there? Does that above price include customs fees etc or are they on top of the above as well?

Also - Pre 88 vehicles (which is what I'd be looking at bring in) Do they have to be standard/Unmodified like the Cars coming in under SEVS?

Obviously they have to be able to pass rego here in Aus. But will a e.g heavily modifed Z20 Soarer be aprroved for Import?

But yeah for some reason I have a love for Quirky 80's cars (silly I know)

Any thanks in advance :D

Just on pre88 cars. What is involved in compliance. Off the top of my head it would be

Seat belts

Tyres

A/c re gas

Cat converter

Any thing else such as side intrusion bars or are they a laterodel thing?

sup top bloke

*hug*

okay when a price estimation says "landed and complied"

that means

10,000 landed n complied. including:

brokers fee

car cost

FOB cost

cost of boating the car into aust

cost of taxes, GST, warfage, quarrantine, steamcleaning, re-inspection.. etc etc..

compliance of the car

basically - your landed n complied estimate includes everything UP TO the point of post-compliance...

so - on top of this - allow for "other things" that are NOT included:

tyres (may or may not be the case - some shops do it - some shops dont

brake pads (again some do some dont - depends on the RAWS complying the car)

EDIT: and registration in your state - costs vary so much so this is not included in your estimate, so allow a few hundred extra to get some metal numbers put on the bumpers. :)

^^^those are the things that you MAY get charged on top of your estimate...

...and the reason it's CALLED an "estimate" is to allow for a blow-out here n there...

ie: tow truck to tow your car from the warf to the RAWS

tow truck to tow your car from the RAWS to your house (if need be)

minor costs like this may exceed your estimate, which is why it's called an estimate... the aforementioned information i've provided is applicable ONLY to sevs cars..

so, stay tuned for post #2

Edited by Mr Eps

Pre-88 cars DO need to follow compliance, contrary to popular beleif it's not as simple as "driving it off the boat n going to get plates"

...but it's actually not that far from the truth.

fortunately for you as a buyer - pre 88 cars are very easy to import and register, IF they're straight.

fortunately for you, you have a passion for quirky 80s japanese cars...

...UNfortunately for you... so does the rest of Japan. and the price for GOOD pre 88 cars is kept high by the local market..

compliance for pre 88 cars are - the car must be signed off by an engineer, depending on what state you live in - this may require it to be an approved engineer.

general rule of thumb for compliance of pre 1988 cars is: the vehicle must be compliant to the ADRs that were issued at the time of manufacture.

ie: say you import a 1987 Z20 soarer. let's say this example is standard. for arguements sake.

that car must be compliant to the rules that applied to australia in 1987.

which from recollection were:

Cig lighter must work at all times

engine must be held in with 3 (or more) pieces of stickytape (or better equipment if available)

so in that regard you have nothing to worry about.

however early 2010 saw changes to the PRE-88 rule, becuase the department of federal transport decided there were to be NO MORE MODIFIED PRE88 cars!!!!

naturally - we all panicked. because to us JDM fans... a "modification" means a new set of rims, and some adjustable suspension.

i mean after all - the department of transport issued a release STATING that there were no more modified pre88 cars... but never specified to WHAT a modification IS in their eyes...

i think PERSONALLY and humbly... that change to the rule was more to stamp out the importation of things like:

a 1932 model T ford body, custom tubbed and fabricated onto the chassis of a PT chrysler in someone's backyard with an LS7 in it...

^^^in that example yes it LOOKS like a 1932 model T ... buuuuut it was a car actually built after pre 88... i think it was more to stamp out cars like that...

i personally and humbly still beleive that if you WERE to import a particular Z20 that looks like.... oh., i dunno

shnngo2000-img600x450-1303365527dgmyq447453.jpg

THIS HOT PIECE OF ASS.

then i think that you would be fine to import that particular pre1988 car.

i mean - what car HASN'T lived for 25 years and hasn't had it's wheels changed?

Cheers Kient!

*researches 86-87 ADR's

YES I have been looking at that Soarer lol.

Would make a tasty weekender/track bitch

Also good to know the Aprrox landed and complied cost covers those things (give or take)

i dont get it - does knowing how to spell "que" mean you're old?

i saw the "ke" thing but figured that i won't go out of my way to embarrass poor andy. he gets enough of it as is! :P

anway - as requested...

the MZ21 soarer of doom

^^the inerior is wow.

AND it's an 88... WINKYface?

tein coilovers, LeonHardiritt Bugels, overfenders, Viper alarm system (?) has new timing belt waterpump thermostat and and radiator fan...

apparently also 108,229 km - with no windback km? and stored in a garage?

looks to be suffering a small oil leak - but what 7M gte ISNT leaking oil...

...would make way for a particular 1J i have had my eye on ;)

please click here if you like the 1JZ

brand sssshhhhpankers.

andrew if you want a CHEAP AS YOUR MUMMA Z20 soarer...

there is THIS

which may be of interest to you... Gz20 with a 5MT... 100,000 yen for you only.

=) first to see will buy :P

would be a little bit less than 6K landed. allow a few extra hundred for compliance..

...although that is a dealer sale - so his commission would be inclusive of that 100,000Y ... so in other words i'd say that'd be a bit of a shi1tter :P

Before I opened this I honestly pondered "what kind of sick f**k would actually import a laser" LOL.

Then all I saw was a thread full of Eps and Soarers and it all made sense.

beleive it or not most times i mention soarers i am not actually trying to convince people - 98% the time they're actually asking about them!

(OP said he wanted a soarer in an email he once wrote to me)

(he also said he looked at Nee-sans profile n says he wanna suck yo' dick mang)

well we can't all be spanish masters!! or pedantic old f**kers like me now can we?

first soarer looks cool but fk me dead it's expensive for an auto 7M powered car. it would be well over the $15K mark by the time you had it hear and even half way decent to drive. probably more like $20K with a 1JZ in it and a 5 speed. way too much.

as much as I hate to say it the other one for 100,000 is a better buy. it might be shit but at least you know what you're getting...

• 5 months later...

So...I forgot about this thread.

I bought a JZZ30 Locally

But still have a soft spot for tough z20s

Whats the dealeo with bringing a car (Z20) in as a track car, I know that track only cars need a Cams L3, but if I brought a car in that isnt classed as race/rally is there an obligation to have it complied/registered?

I would assume that if a car fell off the radar after import approval eyebrows would be raised.

Now this isnt going to me much of an issue with a pre-88 car as compliance is relativity simple compared to SEVS

So yeah help a dumb-ass out :)

and please change my failed spelling of the thread title

Hahaha f**k up Miguel!

They are cool no doubt.

My mate has one.

Facts:

1ggte motor

Weak gearbox

Worn interior

Rust

No coilover off the shelf option

Rear suspension is separate spring and shock so pain in ass