SAU Community

Turbo Set Up Options Question

Am planing do few mods on my stock R33, Iam planning on doing the following mods,...1.high flow stock turbo 2.full turbo back exhaust 3.electronic boost controller,running on a mines ecu at less than 10 psi boost. so here is my question iam on a budget so would like to know which intercooler to go for, i have two options only either a cheap e bay intercooler or a stock r34 , my worry is which one would give best perfomance for the price.Iam also worried about turbo lag with the e bay one , not really sure, i think ive heard that big intercoolers on small setups causes turbo lag.. is this right ?

If you are worried about lag, then you need to not be a tightass :)

Given the two things go hand in hand.

Sorry to tell you but a MINES ecu is not good enough in any way, shape or form. There is also no point spending money on parts and running 10psi and no tune. You are better off not spending a cent and leaving the stock turbo on there... Then spend the money on coke, booze and hookers.

However if you are prepared to get a tune etc etc.... And want to do it on the cheap you have many options, only a few reasonable however...

1. JJR cooler kit (SAU Sponsor)

2. JJR exhaust or just get a 2nd hand one off the forum

3. Hypergear turbo (SAU Sponsor), just using actuator.

4. Tuneable ECU + tune

~ $3500 if you are lucky. If you are paying a workshop then $4500 if not more.

The above will give you an average 220rwkw or so. Won't be the best setup.

If you want more power you will also need to factor in things like AFM, injectors, coilpacks - $1500

Also to take into account are.... clutch, brakes, tyres and most likely a diff.

They will cost anywhere from $3,000 - $5,000.

my recomendation just jap return flow cooler. i have a hybrid cooler on my vl running a stock r33 rb25det with microtech ecu the lag isnt to much of a problem i hit full boost around 3800 i think however im going larger turbo soon so shouldnt be to much of a problem. the jusp jap is great if your on a budget and i have heard nothing but good feedback about them

R31Nismoid i understand and appreciate your comment but the reason why iam going for a budget setup is because iam doing what i can afford, the car is not for any track use at all, and i dont have any power figure targets in mind at all, the only reason iam doing the turbo is because iam trying to avoid a turbo failure and gain tiny bit of power with the few basic mods.therefore just needed to know what intercooler will serve the purpose with optimum perfomance

i ran 350rwhp with china intercooler on a highflow. will be fine. just done go too cheap, somthing around the $300 will be fine but you wont get pipework with that :thumbsup:

p.s. throw the mines ecu in bin and get SAFC2 minimum

R31Nismoid i understand and appreciate your comment but the reason why iam going for a budget setup is because iam doing what i can afford, the car is not for any track use at all, and i dont have any power figure targets in mind at all, the only reason iam doing the turbo is because iam trying to avoid a turbo failure and gain tiny bit of power with the few basic mods.therefore just needed to know what intercooler will serve the purpose with optimum perfomance

If you don't run more than 10psi, the stock turbo wont die.

It's when people push 12psi+ they get agro.

and you wont need any parts, coolers and you might be able to get away with the MINES ECU (but i would get the AFR's etc checked in a dyno first)

yeah if you are on a budget the best thing you can do is get the max out of the stock turbo setup. this means safe, but you can net yourself some good gains by doing so on a budget. my setup went from 140rwkw to 193rwkw which makes for a fairly quick car on the street, not much can beat you in most "legal" situations, even the vlt's and xr6's, xr8s etc will struggle to beat if you can drive. i was able to net 13.7 with a f**ked diff and 0 to 100 in 4.8 so you dont need 4000rwkw to get good times or a quick car

get a good tune with a good setup (nistune, safc, anything but a MINES ECU)

good intercooler

good intake

good tyres and clutch

the stock ER34 smic is ass, dont bother

either upgrade the standard SMIC to a frount mounted item or dont bother, a SMIC is a waste of time and money

All I had was an excedy HD clutch walbro fuel pump and a boost tee at 11psi with stock ecu and a tune it was doin about 185kw..was enough to keep up with just about everything on the street ..Stock cooler did me fine too..

but yeah id go..

jjr turnflow 400$

walbro pump 200$

turbotech boost t 30$

full service and tune 300$

Any secondhand exhaust will do.

should net you a healthy 180kw or so then start saving for a clutch..

If your turbo does blow rebuild with steel wheels and your good to go again..

If your on a budget and not chasing a lot of power then just keep the standard turbo on the car, not going to gain anything by putting on a cheap turbo and running 10psi.

Dont bother with a mines ecu as there rubbish, i have never heard of one actually having a decent 'tune' on them.

I would just a front mount, boost controller, exhaust and a tune. You should be able to get around 180-190rwkw easy with a 25 while still keeping the standard turbo, injectors and afm. If you go a front mount get a return flow, they may be more expensive but it saves you cutting up your car and a return flow cooler is legal.

Spend money on a decent tune, nistune would be perfect and at least you can keep your standard ecu.

I personally would stay well away from the cheap ebay turbos, for the same or fractionally more money you can get your standard turbo highflowed by hypergear and atleast you know it will do the job and not shit itself, but unless your chasing more then 200rwkw dont bother upgrading.

I would be doing this.

1.Exhaust $500-1000

2.Boost controller Turbo tech $30 best cheap one on the market

3.Intercooler Return flow $700

4.Tune $850-1000

5.Fuel pump $300 standard might be fine though

Will be safe and reliable and what i would consider cheap considering the gains.

Edited by eightsixboy

• 2 weeks later...

yeah if you are on a budget the best thing you can do is get the max out of the stock turbo setup. this means safe, but you can net yourself some good gains by doing so on a budget. my setup went from 140rwkw to 193rwkw which makes for a fairly quick car on the street, not much can beat you in most "legal" situations, even the vlt's and xr6's, xr8s etc will struggle to beat if you can drive. i was able to net 13.7 with a f**ked diff and 0 to 100 in 4.8 so you dont need 4000rwkw to get good times or a quick car

get a good tune with a good setup (nistune, safc, anything but a MINES ECU)

good intercooler

good intake

good tyres and clutch

the stock ER34 smic is ass, dont bother

either upgrade the standard SMIC to a frount mounted item or dont bother, a SMIC is a waste of time and money

thats about it there, concentrate on supporting mods that you can use in the future IE good exhaust some management good boost controller, i have heard that the r34 smic is good for about 200rwkw but i could be wrong.

Out of interest, whats the budget?

and to clarify the 34 smic thing, its good for 200rwkw if you only give it the odd squirt, doing hills runs or constant boost and i agree with paulr33

yeah the prob with the stock SMIC (any stock SMIC) is it's location and core size

once it has some heat in it, from repeated boosting - the core is practically useless, i bet its too hot to touch on both sides after a twisty road quick thrash

i see no legit reason to keep a SMIC or upgrade to the ER34 SMIC

most of the other mods make the car defectable just as much