SAU Community

Transferring Rego From Vic To Nsw

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a registered car from vic and just wanted to know what has to happen when trnasferring ownership etc with rta (don't be curios about the car nothing exciting).

Obviously just the stamp duty but do I also have to pay for nsw plates?

Thanks Guys.

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a registered car from vic and just wanted to know what has to happen when trnasferring ownership etc with rta (don't be curios about the car nothing exciting).

Thanks Guys.

Who else would pay for NSW plates or were you thinking you could pay nsw stamp duty but drive on vic plates?!!!!

Is that your question !!!!!!!

I guess my question is Can I pay NSW stamp duty and leave vic plates on?

Or do I have to get new plates and pay NSW stamp duty as well?

Are there any significant fees with transferring VIC reg to NSW? Does the VIC rego period remain valid in NSW even after putting NSW plates on the car?

from what i gather it is like registering a car that has no rego on it at all. you pay all the fees associated with registering it (including for plates), however you may be able to get a partial refund on the vic rego (don't know about it though).

from what i gather it is like registering a car that has no rego on it at all. you pay all the fees associated with registering it (including for plates), however you may be able to get a partial refund on the vic rego (don't know about it though).

I have just looked into it a little more and I think your spot on.

Basically I can drive it back on its VIC reg, however once in NSW I have to get blue slip, new green slip from NSW provider and then go to RTA for new plates and rego. If anyone else is interested here is the link to the RTA.

Thanks for your help.

RTA Interstate Transfer

thats correct, Its like the car has no rego. you need to get a Blue Slip not a pink slip(roadworthy), Green slip CTP insurance, then pay stamp duty and rego costs and you need to buy NSW plates, its 80ish dollars for the white slim line plates and 37 for the BIG yellow and black number plates,

blue slip is around 80-100 probally depends on which mechanic you take it too, green slip is 450-550 depends on insurance company, stamp duty is 3% of cost of the car so say if the car is 10 grand it will be 300 for stamp duty, and rego is about 350 or so then plates,

you can also get a refund on the vic rego, if ur sydney or something im not sure how u do it as i live on the border of nsw and vic so the vicroads (vic RTA) is 5 mins away and i took it there and refunded it, they probally send the plates away or something not sure,,

also the Vic road worthy does nothing at all.. so if they asking a high price with rwc tell them no rwc, doesnt do anything

You can also cancel the Vic registration, then purchase a temporary permit (certainly available from VicRoads, maybe from NSW RTA) so you can drive the car back to NSW and go through the rego process there.

• 2 years later...

thats correct, Its like the car has no rego. you need to get a Blue Slip not a pink slip(roadworthy), Green slip CTP insurance, then pay stamp duty and rego costs and you need to buy NSW plates, its 80ish dollars for the white slim line plates and 37 for the BIG yellow and black number plates,

blue slip is around 80-100 probally depends on which mechanic you take it too, green slip is 450-550 depends on insurance company, stamp duty is 3% of cost of the car so say if the car is 10 grand it will be 300 for stamp duty, and rego is about 350 or so then plates,

you can also get a refund on the vic rego, if ur sydney or something im not sure how u do it as i live on the border of nsw and vic so the vicroads (vic RTA) is 5 mins away and i took it there and refunded it, they probally send the plates away or something not sure,,

also the Vic road worthy does nothing at all.. so if they asking a high price with rwc tell them no rwc, doesnt do anything

Hi Guys,

Thanks Guys.

Hi guys,

Is there anyone who would be able to guide me in the case for a motorcycle. I have purchased the motorcycle from Vic and the seller said that it has 11months rego on it and with a custom number plate. He informed me that he would remove the number plate(custom) and transfer the rego to the new number plate and then send the motorbike.

My question is whether do I have to pay for greenslip here and get it registered as I would do for a fresh rego for a second hand vehicle or do I have to pay only for the registration fee and stamp duty as I normally do when purchasing old vehicle with rego on it.

Thanks in advance..