SAU Community

Exhaust And Bov Choices

Then they used poor quality steel. My exhaust was made by Kermit. Those in WA will know what I'm talking about.

I'm quite good mates with Kermit, he has shown me pictures of some jobs that he has done. Race cars that have crashed at stupid speeds and the only things that survived are his custom stainless intake piping and his exhausts. He uses absolute top quality stainless (shameless plug for a top bloke :P ) and offers lifetime guarantee. Go around to your exhaust shops and see how many of them offer a lifetime warranty on all their work.

why are you telling me to go round to local exhaust shops? did you not read my post, iam a mechanic in an exhaust shop. we do offer a lifetime warranty on some of our systems too by the way,

We weld up cracks in stainless exhausts from factory systems, constantly, cheap systems sometimes and also high end systems as well.

A big shiny stainless exhaust is a "wanky" item, they are marketed for the wankers who can boast about it down the pub, or on a forum in this case lol. even our suppliers tell us that.

stainless exhausts are good, but dont write off mild steel, both have their pros and cons

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you telling me to go round to local exhaust shops? did you not read my post, iam a mechanic in an exhaust shop. we do offer a lifetime warranty on some of our systems too by the way,

We weld up cracks in stainless exhausts from factory systems, constantly, cheap systems sometimes and also high end systems as well.

A big shiny stainless exhaust is a "wanky" item, they are marketed for the wankers who can boast about it down the pub, or on a forum in this case lol. even our suppliers tell us that.

stainless exhausts are good, but dont write off mild steel, both have their pros and cons

I couldn't care less for shiny, it's under the car and it gets covered in dirt and discolored with heat anyway.

But seeing as this is just 'forum boasting' as you said, I'm gonna go ahead and take the word of the most respected fabricator in WA, rather than the opinion of someone I've never heard of. No offense :)

hey just out of curiousity,

is a standard blow off valve still ok if you upgrade your turbo or run high boost, will it start blowing off or break?? or does it just blow off when you lift off the throttle??

I think im going to a turbo smart compact one. Atm i have a shitty go fast bits bucket of crap, and i dont think going a decat is much use for around 200-220rwkw.

Whats an example of a mild steel exhaust?? Do any big brands use it??

I really keen on a Kakimoto exhaust. Love the roar on high revs. I'm going to nsw texi in 2 weeks so hopefully someone has that exhaust so it can confirm my choice

Try to change my mind though :).

I just don't think you can beat a custom exhaust... I paid $700 for mine, so it is far cheaper than a Jap brand exhaust and is equal if not better quality. It's straight-cut so it will flow more than any off-the-shelf item (There's only a 5hp difference on my car with exhaust and no exhaust). They are made to fit your car, so I don't have issues with scraping on anything even though my car is lowered quite a lot. And it sounds way better than it does in those videos.

For me, I wouldn't buy an off-the-shelf item, custom for the win :)

I bought my R34 GTT with a JJR 3" dump pipe, high flow cat and a Fujitsubo (JASMA approved) 3" exhaust. The car sounds very quiet on idle, but when you put your foot down it sounds like a bit of a jet fighter, lol. I'm very happy with it. I don't like putting around down and sounding like it's got a 4" straight through with a punched out cat. But I do like being able to sound like I'm driving a mildly-modded performance street car when I want to. Comparing it to my mates R34 which had a standard dump pipe, but high-flow cat and an HKS 3" exhaust. That car was much louder than mine. We did pull out all the baffling though. But it was really throaty beforehand...

In my old S13 I had a Kakimoto exhaust. That made my car sound like an absolute pig when you got up it! It idled pretty loud though. They seem to be pretty screamy exhausts from my experience.

So, based on my experience, I'd go a Fujitsubo for performing driveability, HKS for a bit more roar and throaty idle, and Kakimoto for what sounds like a straight-though jet-exhaust!

Edited by fastjetjockey

How did you do it Martin?? Go into an exhaust shop and told them what you wanted and they made it??

Hmm sounds a bit to deep from the YouTube videos lance.

I just want a quiet exhaust but when you put your foot down it roars which I think the Kakimoto will accommodate.

I'll have to wait till texi to make my desicion I think. I leave for work at 630 so I need something that I can sneak away with.

Fujitsubos sound alright. You've definitely given me a hard descision but from YouTube videos I like Kakimoto the best. Problem is with those vids you don't k ow what other mods they have. Ei decat etc.

Kakimoto is legal too isn't it?

I just don't think you can beat a custom exhaust... I paid $700 for mine, so it is far cheaper than a Jap brand exhaust and is equal if not better quality. It's straight-cut so it will flow more than any off-the-shelf item (There's only a 5hp difference on my car with exhaust and no exhaust). They are made to fit your car, so I don't have issues with scraping on anything even though my car is lowered quite a lot. And it sounds way better than it does in those videos.

For me, I wouldn't buy an off-the-shelf item, custom for the win :)

hey thats sounds good value,

how much should it cost to fabricate a new pipe to go between turbo and air flow meter?? does that have performance gain or just sound better?

How did you do it Martin?? Go into an exhaust shop and told them what you wanted and they made it??

Hmm sounds a bit to deep from the YouTube videos lance.

I just want a quiet exhaust but when you put your foot down it roars which I think the Kakimoto will accommodate.

I'll have to wait till texi to make my desicion I think. I leave for work at 630 so I need something that I can sneak away with.

Well Kermit is just one guy, not a shop. He does a lot of exhausts for high performance cars so he knows what he is doing. I just told him how I wanted it to sound and how I wanted it to sit on the car and he did the rest. So if you take it somewhere where they know what a high performance car needs from it's exhaust then I would say they will know what to do.

hey thats sounds good value,

how much should it cost to fabricate a new pipe to go between turbo and air flow meter?? does that have performance gain or just sound better?

From memory, Kermit did just the intake pipe for $150 (might have been $250, I forget). He did all my cooler piping at the same time so all up it costed me $450. The intake pipe won't be much of a performance gain if you still have the stock turbo. If you have an aftermarket turbo then the intake pipe is pretty much a necessity.

Whats an example of a mild steel exhaust?? Do any big brands use it??

I really keen on a Kakimoto exhaust. Love the roar on high revs. I'm going to nsw texi in 2 weeks so hopefully someone has that exhaust so it can confirm my choice

Try to change my mind though :).

an example is a custom made exhaust for your car from an exhuast shop.

Iam a mechanic working in an exhuast shop. i have made lots of systems for skylines and silvias/180sx's.

We buy in the dump pipe, it is australian made by advance headers and are of very good quality, then we make the system out of mandrel or press bent, your choice.

like i said earlier in the thread, for great sound and performance i would go in one of 2 directions.

3inch system with glass pack chambered muffler in the middle and twin drift pipes at the rear.

or

3inch system straight through to quality cannon at the rear.

both with the advance 3inch dump and a high flow cat.

i personally love the sound of the chambered muffler and drift pipe set up but many love the cannon set up as well so the choice would be yours.

an example is a custom made exhaust for your car from an exhuast shop.

Iam a mechanic working in an exhuast shop. i have made lots of systems for skylines and silvias/180sx's.

We buy in the dump pipe, it is australian made by advance headers and are of very good quality, then we make the system out of mandrel or press bent, your choice.

like i said earlier in the thread, for great sound and performance i would go in one of 2 directions.

3inch system with glass pack chambered muffler in the middle and twin drift pipes at the rear.

or

3inch system straight through to quality cannon at the rear.

both with the advance 3inch dump and a high flow cat.

i personally love the sound of the chambered muffler and drift pipe set up but many love the cannon set up as well so the choice would be yours.

What would be the rough cost of one of the mild steel cat back systems man? My cannon is looking rusty, so i need to replace it pretty soon. Im also in your area.

Ok so I just bought a Kakimoto regu 06&r catback from forsale for 600 bucks including postage! Pretty excited.

Just wondering what differences there are with pod filters. Do the brands make different induction noises/loudness? More power?

What would be best bang for your buck considering loudness and power

Ok so I just bought a Kakimoto regu 06&r catback from forsale for 600 bucks including postage! Pretty excited.

Just wondering what differences there are with pod filters. Do the brands make different induction noises/loudness? More power?

What would be best bang for your buck considering loudness and power

If you're not making a lot of power with lots of boost, a $30 cheapie from your local car store will be fine. In fact, a study done in AutoSalon magazine (I think 2007, can' remember issue) showed that 3A Racing (cheap no-name brand) had the best flow and filtration compared to other brands like Apexi, HKS, Trust, K&N, etc. I've heard since then that these cheap pods are not made out of a strong material, and the foam can get sucked into your turbo and engine under high flow.

Personally I use an Apexi Power Intake, sounds amazing and I don't notice a difference between other types of pods. In reality, there is probably <1% difference between all of them in terms of noticeable affect.