SAU Community

Wats the deal with VIC Demeric Points system?

Dragon18

Well there is a chance that they will make 10%.

So vote Liberals at the next election.

And if any1 have a chance to speak to Libs leader (before elections)

maybe he could ask a question regarding the buffer on speed cameras.

I would love to hear the answer (may be a lie anyway)

And if you be so lucky to shake his hand dont forget to count your fingers (you never know)

Yeah, I remember rthe Liberals saying they were going to put it back to 10%...

What I don't understand with the current system, is that someone once mentioned that the ADRs state that a vehicle's speedo must be accurate to +/-5%. Now if that's what Federal law states (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me cos' I'd love to know!) how the hell can State government come up with a law stating we will only allow 3%?

If it's true we could all get proof that our speedos are 5km under (putting larger tires on if we must! :D) taking that to court, and getting these stupid 3km/h over fines thrown out!!!

• 1 month later...

What I don't understand with the current system, is that someone once mentioned that the ADRs state that a vehicle's speedo must be accurate to +/-5%. Now if that's what Federal law states (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me cos' I'd love to know!) how the hell can State government come up with a law stating we will only allow 3%?

If it's true we could all get proof that our speedos are 5km under (putting larger tires on if we must! :D) taking that to court, and getting these stupid 3km/h over fines thrown out!!!

agreed

This probably sounds geeky but anyway in scientific measurement (which is measurements off any scale) the number is always accurate to half the increment... so in my car there is increments of 10km/hr so if i'm going 94 (accordingf to the speedo) it could be that i'm actually going 90. but equally so if i'm going 95 it could be that i'm going 100...

(scientific error - if anyone knows what i'm talking about)

Kor

agreed

This probably sounds geeky but anyway in scientific measurement (which is measurements off any scale) the number is always accurate to half the increment... so in my car there is increments of 10km/hr so if i'm going 94 (accordingf to the speedo) it could be that i'm actually going 90. but equally so if i'm going 95 it could be that i'm going 100...  

(scientific error - if anyone knows what i'm talking about)

Kor

geeky but true davor... :)

nothing is accurate without an error margin specified.

and as for the liberals bringing back the +/- 10% system: i believe this is not only a fair option and a potentially elecion-winning proposition, but a feasable one as this party will actually be able to keep victoria out of debt without having to rape the wallets of every victorian to do so.

moral of story = bring back jeff...

If it's true we could all get proof that our speedos are 5km under (putting larger tires on if we must! :() taking that to court, and getting these stupid 3km/h over fines thrown out!!!

63 in a 60 zone is 5% over. So technically they are ok with that one.

LOL @ Chef_32

this shits me i mean yes i should have had my p's but i dont thinhk its worth 3 points

Not anywhere near as bad as 3 demerit points for dodgy number plates! I was fuming when that law got introduced. It is the icing on the revenue cake.

The other option you have as this is your first offence is to write to the transport authority and ask them to let you off.  If it is your first offence they most likely will.

This is a proven fact that has been covered in the media lately

This is true. I have seen it done. Write a letter stating how sorry and stupid you are bla blah and you should get off... It MUST be your first EVER offence.

As soon as the Libs are elected in Victoria I'm sure they are going to take away all the revenue grabbing laws that are in place now.

It was the Libs that introduced most of the revenue raising laws, why the hell would they take them away again.

Guest INASNT
im in cout atm for not having a front number plate copz it was stolen!!! but because it was my bday and i cbf reporting it, i get 3 pts and criminal record for protesting it to court....

just because u protest it doesent mean u will get any record