SAU Community

Anyone Keen To Help For A Cost?

V8or4X4

Hey guys, so my 32gtr is still giving me grief and I have absolutely no idea how to begin the trouble shooting process. I have the complete service manual and basic tools.

I am wondering If there is a gtr savvy member living around the maylands area who is interested in spending a few minutes answering questions and having a look at my car(try and get it going properly) for the price of a carton of their choice. I have read through hundreds of threads on this and other gtr sites(Canada gtr is also very good) but have not managed anything solid.

Cheers in advance guys. Here's hoping. :)

Jesse.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's very similar to the problem benno2 was having, started her up and let it idle for a few minutes to warm. Cruised slowly around the block(probly 1k) then, going up a slight hill the revs started dropping even though I was still accelerating. They progressively dropped all the way down and the was almost stalling on a rough idle. Totally confused I killed the ignition not wanting to do more damage. About 4 hours later I tried starting it and it started with a regular idle but a bit low and drove back here with

What felt like slight power loss.

What do u guys think? Mass air flow? Hopefully not gasket? Is this a turbo fault?

I'm moving from a 96 v8 fairmont so this is allllll new to me.

Thanks all.

By the way I'm located right by maylands traino.

Jesse.

Ok, so I just pulled my top Afm out to have a looksi.. Previous master has obviously already resoldered our connections here. This is the joins, sorry they're upside down.. :P

cfc0a840.jpg

dfb4f2d2.jpg

And this is what I assume is the O2 sensor.

07642c77.jpg

3e35baf2.jpg

Very oily/dirty.

What do we think guys?

Thanks for the input. And Boss-Zilla, this is pretty much all I've done so far.

Jesse.

thats the hotwire of your AFM and its filthly lol that will probly be your problem (o2 sensor is in you dump pipes after the turbo), spay it with some electrical contact cleaner, DO NOT touch it with anything, next thing is to figure out where that oil came from.

Edited by horrace

That is the hot wire (sensing) element in the airflow meter, O2 sensor is in the turbo dump pipe.

And that looks like a shitload of oil on the afm, look up the cleaning DIY and see how it goes.

Got a catch can?

Edit: beat me to it horrace!

Darn, cleaned everything up, resealed and reassembled but no good. Idles still rough as guts and dips down in revs every few seconds.

Anyone up for another round? :P

Cheers all.

Jesse.

Damn v8or4x4 that sucks balls, i'm getting a airflow meter installed soon to go with my upgraded turbo do any of you think i need a oil catch can after what bubba said

Just need to clarify, really I meant an oil/air separator.. contains baffles etc and is used to scrub oil from the air before returning it to the intake stream. Always a good thing on a boosted, legal, recirculating breather setup.

A catch can just catches any oil that may come out the breather and is a safety measure required in some racing, usually used in atmo breathing setups (and in recirc setups by people who bought cheap catch cans off ebay).

Jesse, to me it sounds like a vaccum leak and another possibility is intake manifold gasket leaking.

Have a look in the workshop manual for the vaccum layout, will show you all the hoses - make sure they are all good.

To search for leaks in intercooler piping and manifolds, grab a can of Aerostart or similar and with the engine running, spray around all the joints in the cooler piping and intake manifold - if the revs pick up you've found your leak.

Hmm, interesting. That's tomorrows jobs sorted I guess. Bubba, how does aerostart increase revs when applied to coolant hoses? Sorry but am I missing something?

Oh dear, most of the vacuum hoses look like this; (these are top and bottom turbo control solenoid hoses respectively)

9126f7f9.jpg

b0c17282.jpg

I'm about to go get some aerostart to test em but I think they will all need help soon. At least if I can get it driving ok I can get it to a mech.