SAU Community

Beginners Camera Choice

Mangune

Hey guys thought id drop on by as i dont know much about the whole photo scene. Always keeping my eye on thread and thinking there some really nice pictures in here. I think we are catching the bug (yes the missus aswell lol).

So im looking for some advice on a dslr to begin on. Just looking for something basic to do some cars and scenery not much moving pictures really. I was browsing around and i notice the nikon D3100 and the canon D1000 are roughly the price rangish where i think it would be a good place to start. Cannon is coming with a twin lens kit an the nikon a single (more mp and a little more in price not much though)

So im thinking between one of these two to start on but other comments would be very handy :)

Also as for a program is there anything else on the market other than photoshop? or is it a case of you just cant go past photoshop.

Cheers damien

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for entry photography that is fine but the issue you face is the want to upgrade so quickly and losing out.

I bought Canon 500D early this yr (Purely for HOBBY USE) not knowing if I would enjoy it that much or not and have ended up loving it.

This has now got me to buying lenses, filters, hoods, tripod, more memory cards, batteries, battery grip, tripod, Photoshop.

All these other essentials that are needed (I believe) when you get into photography add the costs up quickly!! (especially if on a budget)

Even if you could purchase a second hand 500D - 550D with a few bits and pieces you can get a superior camera for the same price as a D1000 with kit lenses.

I'm looking at going to 60D as mrs wants DSLR so she can take mine.

This is my brief view on it and how I got into photography but I'm sure some of the people in the industry will have some great advice especially with Nikon as I will not bother commenting on them. Sure they are good but would not have a clue.

Going local for sure... I have bought everything local except my camera bag. I want the Full warranty just in case but also have it insured. You won't find out if it's worth the saving of a few hundred until you own it for as long as the warranty would of lasted. Few hundred more gives me peace of mind and local shops staying in business.

If you're looking at a Canon, the 1100D has just been brought in to replace the 1000D, and the 600D has been brought in as a slight step up from the 550D.

Whichever way you go, buy a camera body you'll be willing to keep for a while, then upgrade lenses as and when your budget/needs require them. Your first new lens should be a "Nifty Fifty," which is a cheap (but excellent value) prime (i.e. non-zooming) lens.

Once you make your purchase, use the camera as often as possible, and experiment with different settings to see how they affect your shots.

As for editing programs, Photoshop Elements should be fine and it's currently up to version 9. There are plenty of free programs too, but I couldn't tell you what's good to use.

Oh, and some essentials you should account for in your budget:

- a decent, sturdy tripod (don't get anything too cheap or it will almost be pointless);

- UV filters for ALL your lenses;

- a spare battery;

- extra memory cards; and

- a decent bag that will fit everything in with some room for new stuff later.

Nice job on the 1100D, its a nice place to start with. One of my friends had the 1000D, his only problem with it was that he quickly found that he couldnt get the kind of quality that he was looking for so he upgraded to the 550D. I would have recommended going for the 600D, but each to their own.:happy: Try investing in some decent glass as you will be able to use it long after you replace your current camera body. All the best and have fun, photography is an awesome hobby :laugh:

Decent glass also does not depreciate very much. I'm talking L lenses.

Post up if you have any dramas with your camera that you don't understand too ;)

Just a quick question, this canon 50mm here.

I can get this for $98 brand new from a store with 1 year warrenty. good value or not?

Yes this is "Nifty Fifty" that GoldZilla was refering to in his post above, I have this lens and it has been on my camera more than any of my other lenses. It is a great lense for the costs, you have seen the review of it on 'The-Digital-Picture' so you know what you are paying for. It is a great place to start off. So I guess I am saying... BUY IT. :P

yeah well I though for $98 its either good value or really really crap. but I think its just a good find for the price, I had a good look at the review and I was pretty happy with what I was looking at.

Just always like to ask for peoples opinions still :)

Yer that's prob the only thing I was goin to ask I got 2 is lens with the kit 18-55 I think an 55-250

So it's worth getting this nifty fifty?

Also do you all shot in raw only or L and Raw?

Cheers

The Nikon 3100 is a great camera but the lens it comes with is pretty average not sure on the Canon but like most people have said you would be wise to also buy a 50mm lens like this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5014af.htm

Then you will be able to take some great shots... I think you will find once you put the 50mm on you won't bother with the lenses that came with the camera at all.

Just a quick question, this canon 50mm here.

I can get this for $98 brand new from a store with 1 year warrenty. good value or not?

Do it, John! It's a great value lens and was one of the first lenses I bought beyond the kit lens.

Yer that's prob the only thing I was goin to ask I got 2 is lens with the kit 18-55 I think an 55-250

So it's worth getting this nifty fifty?

Also do you all shot in raw only or L and Raw?

Cheers

Yep, as stated by bluey already, it is definitely a worthwhile purchase - you'll not only learn to "focus with your feet," but you'll also think more about composition and get a better understanding of how aperture can affect your shots.

Personally, I shoot only in RAW - the file sizes are larger, but the ability to manipulate the image in PP is much greater, and it won't lose quality.

Thanks, at the moment im shooting in both, due to i heard that Raw has a better PS abilty.

I might have a to head out and get myself a 50mm :) Does everyone buy stuff from online or do they hunt good deals in the shops?

Cheers