SAU Community

Beginners Camera Choice

Mangune

woot.gif

Yeah, that is good enough, like really good.

2 models up from mine and Marks camera.

Can't go wrong.

Depends on your photography style, if you take close up or distant photos.

Both is good :thumbsup:

Everything you listed is what I got, even the Lowepro bag :laugh:

I got an extra Tele Lense for long distance and good for track days.

A few extra Sandisk CF Cards but a 4 GB would be better as I only have 1 and 2 GB.

Also bought a Tri-Pod, great for night photos, set the timer on and let it do its own long exposure.

Not sure about the Dual Battery Grip..?

Where / What is that?

The dual battery grip attaches to the bottom of the camera, great for when you want to do vertical shots and need the extra capacity (holds 2x battery packs), it also allows you to use AA batteries via a special aptaptor cartridge.

-> http://auto.globalshop.ua/images_user/cat_photos/ftp_photo1/Digital%20SLR%20Camera/Canon/EOS%20400D/batterygrip.jpg

-> http://media.photobucket.com/image/400d%20battery%20grip/airbutchie/Various%20Images/IMG_1340.jpg

yeh I got a tripod too - hand me down from my dad - always in the boot of the Skyline, unfortunately its a light duty duty tripod, tends to sway slighly on windy days.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dual battery grip attaches to the bottom of the camera, great for when you want to do vertical shots and need the extra capacity (holds 2x battery packs), it also allows you to use AA batteries via a special aptaptor cartridge.

-> http://auto.globalsh...batterygrip.jpg

-> http://media.photobu...es/IMG_1340.jpg

laugh.gif

Got Battery much?!

Looks hardcore as with all the battery and battery packs hanging off it.

Nah, I don't have that, just have to make sure my batteries are charged before hand, but I can see it coming in handy.

Taking Vertical Pics uses more battery? What?!

laugh.gif

Got Battery much?!

Looks hardcore as with all the battery and battery packs hanging off it.

Nah, I don't have that, just have to make sure my batteries are charged before hand, but I can see it coming in handy.

Taking Vertical Pics uses more battery? What?!

Hahaha - na, what I meant was it actually acts as a good grip when taking vertical shots. ie. natural to hold, like when taking shots horizontally.

The extra battery capacity helps if you go out and take many shots with the inbuilt flash. Took roughly 1000 shots with the grip attached with 2x batteries.

Hahaha - na, what I meant was it actually acts as a good grip when taking vertical shots. ie. natural to hold, like when taking shots horizontally.

The extra battery capacity helps if you go out and take many shots with the inbuilt flash. Took roughly 1000 shots with the grip attached with 2x batteries.

Ah ok, I see now.

Cool thanks man!

:)

hi guys, reading through these threads has inspired me.

quick question(probably a stupid one, dont ask=never find out), can you use lenses from old standard film slr's on dslr's?

have a camera i got off my dad, shutter is now broken, and it has a couple of lenses with it.

they have threaded sections on the end to replace mounting ring.

eagerly awaiting your answers.

thanks, luke.

ok, back onto the topic, looking at canon eos600d, and nikon d5100

does anyone have first hand experience with both?

anyone out near western sydney that can show me theirs, and go over some of the features?

any help would be appreciated.

hopefully someone can help me out with this question.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting choice you made. I have been looking at digital for some time now and not knowing which way to go, as I want to diversify a bit, rather than just shoot film.

I have been shooting film for quite a few years now and have quite a collection of some of the best SLR's money can buy.

My first buy was a Mamiyaflex from Jocke Leate at Hurstville, but I quickly moved on to a Pentax Spotmatic II, then a Spotmatic F and then changed to Canon. My first Canon was a T50 bought in Fiji by relo's. (Never let your relo's buy for you overseas because you end up with something you didn't want) I asked for a T70, but they got me a great deal on the T50 and saved me money to boot ............ ummm for joy, for joy?

I now have a collection ranging from FTb, AE-1, AT-1, AV-1, A-1, AL-1, AE-1 Program, T50, T70 & T90 plus numerous copious quantities of Canon FD & Tamron lenses to suit.

Now for my digital endeavours:

I have been looking for some time as I said and about 4 weeks ago I bought an Panasonic Lumix G-1 and 14-45mm lens & 45-200mm lens. I bought it on eBay for $500.00 the lot including an 8gb SD Memory card. When I got it I was amazed to find it was almost like new, not a mark on it and in perfect working order. I have since bought a longer 100-300mm lens to compliment the kit.

I was so impressed with the G-1 that today I bought the upgrade, the newest release, the G-3.

They might not be an DSLR in the true sence, but still an interchangeable lens digital camera with 16megapixel resolution and lightening fast auto focus. 14-45mm is 0.1sec,

45-200mm is 0.12 and 100-300 0.18 and features out the door. The issue I had not sticking with Canon was the consumer grade lenses suffer from zoom creep when shooting upwards, or downwards and are a tad slow focusing in AF mode and I cant justify the cost of the pro grade L series lens equivalents.

I'll post up some pics when I get time to myself.

As a foot note, I have a brand new in the box 55-250mm Canon Lens to suit the 500/550/600D if anyone is interested and at half price. If interested drop me a PM.

Cheers, Dennis