Gtr 26/30 With Cams And -5S

Scooby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets use a real life example here...

paul diemar with his drag car TWOOGLE;

when he had the car tuned with the standard head it was within duty cycle of his injectors.

he then had head work done which gave him similar peak power, however, the torque increased substantially.

as a result, he maxed out his injectors & upgraded these to suit.

i only wish he was still on this forum to set the record straight :(

Marko I think you're just getting confused mate.

I don't doubt Paul made more torque with the mods he made. And what he was saying was that he was making more torque "at a given revs or range", ie he was making more horsepower at that rpm range. And if you are making more horsepower (as a result of more torque) then you need more fuel.

So the point is: Its not a RB30 that 'needs bigger injectors' because of the extra torque it makes.

Based on that theory, a 510 Cube V8 making shitloads of torque but only 400hp needs bigger injectors than all of us!

Also think about this. You sometimes hear people say 600cc Injectors can support X amount of 'horsepower' (ie Torque x RPM). You never hear people say 600cc injectors support x amount of 'torque'.

Here is another example.. suppose you have two motors, an RB26 and an RB30 that both make the same Horsepower. But that the RB30 makes more torque (usually at lower revs right?)

Lets say the RB26 makes 400ft/lb of torque at 8000rpm. HP = Torque x RPM / 5252.. therefore about 609hp.

Lets say the RB30 makes 500ft/lb of torque at 6400rpm. Do the Maths = about 609hp.

The RB30 makes more torque, but it only needs the same injectors to support 609hp.

What Paul was telling you (most likely) was that he now made even more than 500ft/lb of torque at 6400rpm (and therefore made more horsepower) which of course requires more fuel. (Obviously Paul makes more than that - I am just using the figures from the example I made up)

Make sense?

Well theory and flow charts are fine and can be helpful but I'll just reiterate that two different top tuners (one a Japanese tuner who gets most of the best GTRs in NZ and the other a very experienced RB man with a 7 second R32) both of whom use hub dynos and all the gear ( including fuel pressure gauges - can't believe the number of posts I've seen here of people saying the tuner "thinks there may be a fuel problem" - doesn't he know how to tell?) are independently saying when tuning between 300 - 400kw that for a single in tank pump the Nismo ones don't hack it and the O44 do.

Marko I think you're just getting confused mate.

I don't doubt Paul made more torque with the mods he made. And what he was saying was that he was making more torque "at a given revs or range", ie he was making more horsepower at that rpm range. And if you are making more horsepower (as a result of more torque) then you need more fuel.

So the point is: Its not a RB30 that 'needs bigger injectors' because of the extra torque it makes.

Based on that theory, a 510 Cube V8 making shitloads of torque but only 400hp needs bigger injectors than all of us!

Also think about this. You sometimes hear people say 600cc Injectors can support X amount of 'horsepower' (ie Torque x RPM). You never hear people say 600cc injectors support x amount of 'torque'.

Here is another example.. suppose you have two motors, an RB26 and an RB30 that both make the same Horsepower. But that the RB30 makes more torque (usually at lower revs right?)

Lets say the RB26 makes 400ft/lb of torque at 8000rpm. HP = Torque x RPM / 5252.. therefore about 609hp.

Lets say the RB30 makes 500ft/lb of torque at 6400rpm. Do the Maths = about 609hp.

The RB30 makes more torque, but it only needs the same injectors to support 609hp.

What Paul was telling you (most likely) was that he now made even more than 500ft/lb of torque at 6400rpm (and therefore made more horsepower) which of course requires more fuel. (Obviously Paul makes more than that - I am just using the figures from the example I made up)

Make sense?

Cylinder filling is at max at max torque, therefor there is the most amount of air in the cylinder and requires MORE fuel to achieve the same afr.

So the more the engine can fill (cubic inches and boost etc) the more air is in and more fuel is required.

Max injector duty cycle should be at max torque

Cylinder filling is at max at max torque, therefor there is the most amount of air in the cylinder and requires MORE fuel to achieve the same afr.

So the more the engine can fill (cubic inches and boost etc) the more air is in and more fuel is required.

You are forgetting that the cylinder will be filled more times per minute at higher revs. Demand for fuel will increase (more duty cycle) but increase in demand will not be linear if torque drops off so duty cycle curve should have more in common with power curve than torque curve.

But to get back to reading what the OP said: his tuner told him that the Nismo was running out of puff but when he hooked up a 040 it went fine. How can you argue with that? Do you want him to tell the tuner " other people can do it why can't you"?Although I would get a 044 intank.

no, max injector opening time is at max torque. max IDC is at max power, assuming of course that AFR's and timing are normal.