SAU Community

gearbox crunches..

gatty

hey guys,

I have a 93' NA 33 - and gears seems to be fairly smooth, except when for example coming up to a light/round about - i go to shift down into first and it wont go in...

If i try and force it it crunches BAD - so i need to hold clutch in while rolling forward with a slight pressure on it then it will go in....

Problem with gearbox? Oil change help...i brought it a month ago and haven't looked at oil level/type in there...

idea's?

Exact same problem on my car mate!

Its most probably bad oil, get it drained if you see metal filings and stuff in the drained fluid, your gearbox is ****ed,

but have a go with some new oil if that doesnt work its your gearbox :(...

hey guys,

I have a 93' NA 33 - and gears seems to be fairly smooth, except when for example coming up to a light/round about - i go to shift down into first and it wont go in...

where did you learn to drive skyline yet alone a CAR!!!

WOOOT into 1st?:slap:

I am not even bother to expalin....

no need to be rude gluey
life aint fairy tails... Its a BITCH so get used to it!! :(

on the seriouse side, I dont think I was rude on that comments, think about it you doing 20kmph around corner/round about then you get compression lock cuz you put into 1st gear then you take out pedespraints or pole or end up gutter somewhere.... well it can happen wet/oil slick roads (especially roundabouts)

so why is worng to tell youngun to how to properly drive. and if its RUDE... so be it.

yeah dude dont shift into first, stay in second unless youve completely stopped.

it wont do any harm staying in second, even if you roll to 0km/h. just clutch in if you feel the engine shudder (stall point). you can even take off from 0km/h in second gear and its fine

if your really keen and wanna challenge you can even try taking off in 3rd

first should only be used when taking off and thats it, never go into whilst moving

its a struggle :(

First Rule: Unless you've come to a complete stop, don't ever put it back into 1st whilst still moving. You *can* put it into 1st when at a reaaaaaaaaaly slow crawl but that's not even necessary... 2nd will do fine even from there.

And even if you're "< 10km/h", it's obviously still too fast, because it'll do exactly what you're describing.

"i go to shift down into first and it wont go in... If i try and force it it crunches BAD"

Second Rule: NEVER FORCE YOUR GEARBOX. It's telling you "NO!" for a reason. Great way to fcuk up your gearbox mate.

Third rule: Read "First Rule" again.

These are pretty basic driving skills dude sad2.gif

I can never get my box into 1st gear >20kmh unless I force it, or I double clutch. At first I thought my box was rooted, but I find that almost any car with any decent ks on it behaves exactly the same! A good oil change with Castrol VMX 80 will help things.