SAU Community

free air subs into sealed box

DVS-8OR

ask fhrx, he seems to know this sorta stuff fairly well. i had a pair of free airs in my old vl in the parcel shelf and cracked one pair and damaged another. they were clarion free airs 10". i dont think their meant to be in sub boxes but cant hurt to try it i guess ?

• 1 month later...

ive got the ts-w303f 12inch subs, just about to put them in, would they run better free to air than boxed? gonna be heaps easier to get a good design if free to air, also just put sound deadener (spray on - not the best by the looks of things) in the entire boot area, any ideas on spray on sound deadener that will work really well.... its alot of area to use the mats!!

The main difference between free-air (infinate baffle) subwoofers and their enclosed brother is the stiffness of the suspension (the spider etc). One is designed to run with compressed air behind it, the other is not.

From that we can deduce that both will run in either application, but you have to be careful not to damage the subwoofer's internals if the unit is not in it's specified application.

sweet, just checked the pioneer website and they show this sub as being free-air so this will make it heaps easier to setup an install in the boot .. time to get the welder out :)

any ideas on the spray on sound deadener?

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are some interesting answers here.The answer to this question is yes and no......Yes sure you can put these subs will go in to a box but they will sond like crap and be as fruitful as a techo on an auto car........so now the true answer no these subs were designed to be run free air or infinent (sorry about spelling) baffle and should only be run this way as the suspention and q and fs factors are different.If it was me i would sugest you take those subs to a cash coverters get the money and put towards a nice pair of sealed/ported drivers....Just my @ cents

Well i have put these subs into a sealed pioneer box and the bass from them are excellent. So i made a twin sub box pretty much similar to the pioneer box. There was a difference in how deep the bass was with a proper sealed sub compared to the free air in a box. Im happy with the setup, getting the bass i wanted.