SAU Community

Haltech Platinum Pro Plug N Play Ecu For The R33 Gtr

MHHJ

Hi all,

I have decided to dump my HKS FCon Pro V piggy back and go for a stand alone ECU. I have bought the Haltech Platinum Pro and have been quoted between $800-$600 for fitting and dyno tune. Not sure what other people's experiences are on here, just thought I would put it out there and see what people's experiences have been with different tuner's in Melbourne/Victoria.

Not sure why you went haltech, as vipec, link and Powerfc are all plug in and most likely cheaper. Even a nistune is pretty good, and even cheaper again.

Can't help with tuners, but I'm a tuner and I'm not a fan of haltech in the Nissan skyline. There seem to be much better options.

Other than the power fc (which is not the djetro), the other two ECUs you suggest are pretty much the same price. Also, I have got quite a few good reviews from people using the Haltech Platinum Pro already on their GTRs.

I'm not trying to bag the haltech, but from my experience it's an ECU that is designed for many cars. Is it a plug in, or do you need to hack the wiring loom?

With vipec, link, and Powerfc, to me, the plug in no hacking models you buy for your skyline seem to be more tailor made or personalized for the car.

My experience with the haltech v12 (no experience with the one you have) had a lot of random settings not applicable for the car it was installed in. Kind of like a "one size fits all"

I'd prefer something more designed and tested for the car it's made for.

Specific models from reputable conpanies mean it has been tested properly.

I'm not trying to bag the haltech, but from my experience it's an ECU that is designed for many cars. Is it a plug in, or do you need to hack the wiring loom?

With vipec, link, and Powerfc, to me, the plug in no hacking models you buy for your skyline seem to be more tailor made or personalized for the car.

My experience with the haltech v12 (no experience with the one you have) had a lot of random settings not applicable for the car it was installed in. Kind of like a "one size fits all"

I'd prefer something more designed and tested for the car it's made for.

Specific models from reputable conpanies mean it has been tested properly.

Exactly, The Platinum pro range is exactly that, No hacking looms etc its a straight plug & play unit. The platinum pro range has come a long long way since the old outdated E series Haltechs.

The Mafia - If your in Sydney im more then happy to loan you my Platinum pro (R33 GTR) to experience the difference.

Cheers,

Johno

Also, I have got quite a few good reviews from people using the Haltech Platinum Pro already on their GTRs.

Reviews by who? Users who’ve simply picked up the car – or tuners? :thumbsup:

Either way it both mean very little.

Why you ask?

If your tuner doesn’t know his way around it and so on… You are going to pay more for the tune (due to time) and perhaps not get the best result (tuner not being familiar with it).

You should pick the tuner & then the ECU… Not the other way around.

Your options might be Chequered Tuning or maybe Chasers. I’m struggling to think of a workshop down here that has done a Haltech in a GTR before, let alone extensive Haltech experience on RBs

If you went Nistune, PowerFC, Link/Vipec, Wolf you’d have more choices than you’d know what to do with…

Hey mate, I'm in Germany at the moment, lol, but flying back today. Actually in Mackay, but if I was there I'd tune it for free just to be able to try out the haltech.

Tuning is all the same concept, the settings are just in different spots, sometimes making it longer to do.

Shame, but let me know how you go. I might even download the software and have a look.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I have decided to dump my HKS FCon Pro V piggy back and go for a stand alone ECU. I have bought the Haltech Platinum Pro and have been quoted between $800-$600 for fitting and dyno tune. Not sure what other people's experiences are on here, just thought I would put it out there and see what people's experiences have been with different tuner's in Melbourne/Victoria.

No idea about that ecu but you don't want to be choosing a tuner on price ($800 for installation and initial tune sounds cheap to me BTW).

wow... talk about bringing up a old thread.

would be nice to go back to 2011....

anyway.. the skyline gearbox needs ignition retard on gearchanges, and a few other things... the aftermarket ecu's are not going to work correctly with them.

you could go with a greddy emanage or something similar... maybe fully manualise the auto and go for the haltech could work.

• 2 months later...

I am not car smart but like them, A LOT! I find that too many people on these sites saying "refer back to past posts, years OLD" Tech changes and companies refine their products, Haltec has an ECU for R34GTRs and I will be having one installed in mine soon, so I guess I will find out first hand what they are like but I will probable never use all of the functions, but?

Does the same Pro work for R32 /33 , NO they do another model that is designed for the 32/33

Here is the site below, maybe I read it wrong but it looks like they are made especially for the R3s

http://www.haltech.com/product/platinum-pro-plug-in-series/nissan-skyline-r34-platinum-pro-plug-in/