SAU Community

Idling Trouble

gilly_ECR33

For some reason the idling on my car will just randomly drop wacko.gif even after adjusting it so it cant go any lower and will even stall while pulling up too traffic lightsdown.gif was wondering if anyone had some idea as too what it could be

cheers Gilly

AFM aswell man. When you're pulling up to lights or something try coasting in neutral, and if the revs drop right down and does the stalling thing then it would probably be a dirty afm. Voltage drops out and no load on the motor lets it die. If that's the case, the car will be really jerky and backfirey sometimes. Don't boost it! Detonation is not cool!!

+1 to the AAC valve and the AFM clean. Regarding the random stalling, my pervious R33 sometimes would do that when I stopped at lights etc. Cleaning the AAC value fixed that. I would also suggest resetting your ECU after you clean both the AAC valve and AFM. You can do that by disconnecting your battery and pressing the brake pedal a few times.

In regards to the adjusting the idle speed, I believe the best way to set it is to connect via a consult cable and use some software (free or paid) to lock the car into what is called "base idle mode" when the car is hot then adjust the screw on the AAC valve. I think you can lock the car into this mode without a consult cable however I can’t remember how to do it. This way you can set the idle correctly as the AAC valve (as well as other systems) are taken out of the loop. This is what I do when I set my idle on the GTST and GTR. Using this method I find my idle speed to be perfect.

Clean the idle control valve and the afm with carby cleaner, reset the ecu and you're motor will run fine. If you're not sure how to do it all I can help.

I would say that you clean the AAC valve and reset the ecu and see if that makes any difference. After that you would have to see if the AFM is the one giving you problems