SAU Community

Rotational Idle Settings

Getting poncams installed tommorow, and wondering if anyone has or knows of good settings for the rotational idle (haltech) with the same cams or similar spec 260/260 9.15 lift. There’s a few vids on YouTube with the same cams and they sound pretty lumpy for what it is, I just wanna have a muck around with it before the tuner does.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

What, you want to make it idle like it's a peripheral port rotary running a Microtech dial-an-ECU back in the early 90s?

Why?

To sound like a legend obviously???

Rotational Idle is used to maintain a normal low idle speed when a fixed larger amount of air is being used for lift-off Anti-Lag purposes, or you just want to sound like a legend when your engine does not perform.

So do you have settings for me ??

Edited by SLIXK

You're better off enabling VCT from idle, and putting a timing hole into your zero demand ignition table

That would give you the lumpy idle you want, if you want to exaggerate it even more, reduce the lobe separation angle.

Rotational Idle sounds aids.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Well, no. But, surely you don't need "settings". Surely the tuner knows what he would need to do to make it sound like shit.

I’ll send a vid once it sounds like shit, old timer.

Record one as well from the engine side, so you don't hear the exhaust too clearly.

It sounds terrible, exhaust side it might sound ok.

You're better off closing up the LSA by enabling VCT from idle and/or retarding the exhaust cam then putting in timing step/hole in the zero demand table.

10 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Record one as well from the engine side, so you don't hear the exhaust too clearly.

It sounds terrible, exhaust side it might sound ok.

You're better off closing up the LSA by enabling VCT from idle and/or retarding the exhaust cam then putting in timing step/hole in the zero demand table.

Will do.. I’ve seen a few videos from the front of the engine doesn’t sound bad imo… but I have heard someone with stock neo cams from the front it yeah it sounds like shit.

27 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

One would assume the process will still be the same 

Yeah it would but I’m just saying that to everyone saying it would sound like shit with my cams 

Looking forward to see what it'll sound like. Don't know anything about it but can appreciate a bit of lumpy idle on the right car. Though to be honest the examples in the video just make it sound a bit broken.

13 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You're better off enabling VCT from idle, and putting a timing hole into your zero demand ignition table

That would give you the lumpy idle you want, if you want to exaggerate it even more, reduce the lobe separation angle.

Rotational Idle sounds aids.

I vote you upload a video of your idle in here for those that haven't heard it before. (For those that haven't heard it, you need to hear it to appreciate how good it sounds)

On 1/17/2024 at 5:00 AM, SLIXK said:

Getting poncams installed tommorow, and wondering if anyone has or knows of good settings for the rotational idle (haltech) with the same cams or similar spec 260/260 9.15 lift. There’s a few vids on YouTube with the same cams and they sound pretty lumpy for what it is, I just wanna have a muck around with it before the tuner does.

I hate to disappoint, but my 272 9.30 lift Kelford cams idle butter smooth. I doubt your 260 Poncams will lump, unless idle control gets funny. I also watched the street syndicate video a few days ago that was posted here and he does a decent job of explaining how to set up rotational idle. You should be set. 

If I had 292° cams in my car I'd still be trying to tune the idle to be as smooth as possible.

Choppy idle is not "cool". It is an indication that things are not working as well as they could. You can bet your bottom dollar that a race team engineer, running an engine with massive cams, is not trying to tune it to make the idle worse, even if it spends very little operational time at idle.

It's not 1970 any more. We can control this shit better.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Wouldn't say it sounds good, however it sounds ok lol.

Can’t even hear anything lol, but there’s plenty of videos with it sounding good, what cams are in there ?

Edited by SLIXK

12 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I vote you upload a video of your idle in here for those that haven't heard it before. (For those that haven't heard it, you need to hear it to appreciate how good it sounds)

Yeah give us a geeze.