SAU Community

R32 gtst sluggsh when cold

Guest Jordy32

Guest Jordy32

hi guys, just wondering if any one has had this problem with there rb20 at all & if so whats wrong???

when the engine is cold, for the first 5mins or so of driving the engine seems to bog down for a little bit then cleans up, only noticable when driving. feels like someone keeps shoving thier foot up my exhaust. it does this on & off for about 5mins of driving. when its warmed up its fine. whats the story????

dont know if its a oxygen sensor or water temp sensor, cause it seems to be only when the engine is warning up??

any ideas???

thanx guys.

My 33GTR does a similar thing... not for as long tho - only first minute or two when cold. The acceleration isn't smooth (i dont let it rev high when its cold anyway) but after a couple of minutes when its warmed a little its smooth as...

its like i keep my foot on the gas the same amount but the car jitters, like instead of just accelerating in a smooth line, it jumps a tiny bit.. hard to explain

Guest Jordy32

hoetrain, im not giving it a hard time when its cold, it does it just coasting along.

its like it runs full rich than leans up.

the ecu has been chipped by the chiptorque. could be ecu tuning i spose??

My R32 gtst does this exact same thing too. Joel made some good points about his car doing it too, said it was his TPS. I haven't adjusted mine, simply cause when it hits halfway on my temp guage (ie- its warmed up), it goes away.

Do a search, theres been heaps of discussion on this before.

Steve :thumbsup:

My car is always rough when its cold, its just the ecu, nothing to worry about.

You should be happy that it is doing it, its protecting the engine.

yeah i had this problem with the std ecu, impossible to drive it over 2000rpm just wont rev but boosts and blows clouds of black fuel out the back. seems like the ecu retards ignition when cold, only started doing it after getting the safc tuned tho

sounds like majority of 'line owners have this problem, from the R30's to the R33's so i guess its common and built into the ECU as the others have explained. My car does the same, doesnt rev smoothly over 3500rpm, but as its warmed up it nice and smooth. cold starts, live with it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jordy My GTS-X does exactly as you discribe and I have been chasing the problem for over a year, I have replaced all sensors had AFM tested and swapped, ECU swapped, tested coil packs and still there. The only thing I havent changed are the injectors and ignitor so they are next in the line. The car should not do this, there is an inherent problem with lines just need to find it, as people have said they just put up with it, It drives me nuts and wont put up with it, just need the money to continue with my quest.

I was under the impression that you shouldn’t really drive them until the temp gauge is near halfway “optimum temp”. For all those guys making over 200rwkw’s I though it would be best to leave the car idle for at least 5mins before driving. I find that if I am in a hurry the car runs fine if I give it minimum throttle and stay under 2000 RPM’s.

My RB30 Sillhoutte that I had before the GTS-X would fire up on the coldest of mornings with a flick of the ignition and was drivable straight away and it would drive cold the same as when warm, would not miss a beat, so I know how they should run :cheers: I just need to get my RB20 to do the same