SAU Community

Cracked Head Or Gasket

ARETHT3

Let me just say that i have searched and searched and cant belive how little there is on this subject...

Think i might have a head gasket blown as i have some of the signs eg: rough idel until it heats up, cpl of time i had masses of white smoke out the exhaust and bubbling in my radiator fluid... so i need to take the car in and get it checked over. Once the car heats up its runs fine but if you leave it to idle it sputters until you get moving (i think its buring the collant in the pistons). I cant see water in the oil, no water coming out the exhaust

Questions are

1. What test need to be done to check if it is a gasket or a crack ( whats the cost on these tests)

2. What is the standard size of a gasket thickness

3. Is a upgrade a good idea car is stockish runnin 10psi with a safc tune 220rwhp.... will i neeed to get it retuned if i do

3. Is a head removal and gasket change hard.. im pretty good with all this stuff but never done a head on a skyline

4. does anyone have any good links i can read on how its done

Please help thanks

Is the cooling system pressurising too much? You can check by warming the car up squeezing the radiator hose, if it feels rock hard then it's most likely a head gasket leak.

It's unlikely you cracked the head unless it overheated excessively which would mean the head gasket would be well and truly gone.

Oh yeah and this thread should probably be in forced induction.

Edited by Dobz