SAU Community

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Vs Skyline V36

Maybe just my bias but I reckon the V36/G37 looks a hell of a lot classier. Hyundai has certainly come along way from the little Excels and Sonatas in the 90s but the Genesis coupe still looks very Tiburon to me. Interestingly I have read and watched a number of road test comparisons between the 2 cars and the reviewers tend to agree that the V36/G37 is undoubtedly a better package but the Genesis is unbeatable bang for buck...

Yeah, they do look similar. :P

I still won't buy a sport car in Hyundai though as it still has a long long way to match any Japanese competitors in performance, longevity, not much supporting aftermarket parts and resale market / value.

It's a good value for money though for those who want a cheaper sport car and not wanting a Japanese sport car. :)

Edited by VNS 24

Hyundai have come a hell of a long way and the Genesis does look hot. They compare them to the G37 Coupe in the states and there is generally not much in it at all.

Hyundai's only problem, I think, is lack of racing pedigree. Most of the more fancied car manufacturers that they would like to try to go up against (NISSAN, Mazda, BMW etc etc) all have at least some history in MAJOR motorsport, as far as I am aware Hyundai do not. They were in Rally for a while, they even talked up getting into F1 when Korea got their own GP, but it never happened......

When you start out making $10,000 s&%t boxes, you are always going to have trouble working your way up to the high end. I guarantee that Hyundai will be making some rediculously nice, high end cars in the near future that are easy as good, if not better, than their competitors but the simple fact is that once you have a reputation it takes a looooong time to change it.

IMO i rekon the genesis looks better than the V36. no offence intended to anyone, thats just MY personal opinion.

i still dont think id buy a hyundai after them making complete shitboxes. but as craig has mentioned, read how they wanted to run the company.

their new in-house 5L V8 is a monster though

They way they both look is always a taste thing...

But at the end of the day the Skyline is finished off better and is quicker and is less likely to leave your forehead indented into a 100 ft gum tree!

The Genesis got a gong in my Top Ten Cars We Never Got article - copy and paste...

Hyundai, in a rare stroke of brilliance, decided to make the Genesis rear wheel drive. Care to name an affordable Japanese RWD sports car released in the last ten years? No? Neither can we. Then there are the engines: there’s a two-litre 4 cylinder turbo engine producing 157kW, which sounds a bit pathetic until you realise that its bottom end is shared with the Mitsubishi Evo, but with even more strengthening measures taken. If there was ever a motor screaming out for 25psi worth of boost, this one is it. Then there’s the rorty 3.8 litre V6 atmo engine pumping out 228kW, widely considered to be a worthy adversary to the VQ37 engines in the 370Z. Still not enough? The sedan has a 4.6 litre 287kW V8 stuffed under the bonnet, and rumours have persisted that this motor will eventually make its way into the coupe, although whether it would upset the coupe’s balance is anyone’s guess. Add Brembo brakes, a Torsen LSD and a six-speed manual in a neatly styled car that undercuts its rivals on price by a good margin, and you have a winner on your hands. The Genesis has genuine street cred in the US too: Rhys Millen was the first to jump on board, building a 550ps Genesis drift car for the Formula Drift series with the V6 engine taken out to 4.1 litres and a Turbonetics huffer, closely followed by HKS USA who built a show car based around the 2.0 litre engine with a GT2835 bolted on.