SAU Community

Atr43G3 Low Power

Forgot

Was there knock? Fuel shouldn't affect anything unless you were getting detonation.

Does Sean have any ideas? Has he checked your EGT's?

I had planned on going E42 anyway (not just to solve this problem) but it wasn't knock related, just wouldn't make any more power so Sean left it at 16psi.

He didn't really have any ideas & thinks it might just be all the turbo's got in it, which could be completely true but after seeing so many people consistantly make high 300wrhp it's making me wonder.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

interesting, let me guess this hyperdrives dyno or ovaboost. forget comparing dyno output's from eastern states dyno's if it is on either of those 2.

My old 34 barely made 290hp on hyperdrives yet cars with the same turbo on the east coast were making 350 or some thing silly and my R34 with a RB3025 running a GT3576 made only 370. I have also seen a r33 on hyperdrive's dyno make about the same as yours with a proper GT3071 so it just reads super low compared to other machines.

So what I would suggest is throw the dyno sheet in the bin and take it down the 1/4 mile. As long as it pulls like 14 yo school boy you should be happy.

Nah it was on Allstar's hub dyno.

Im not so worried about the number, it just doesn't feel like its producing what its capable of thats all. I mean the stock turbo made 255rwhp on the same dyno with mostly the same setup (except for Z32 & injectors) so I was expecting around the 350 mark.

Like I said though, there's every possibility that there is nothing wrong & this is as good as it's going to get, I just want to make sure theres nothing wrong for safety's sake.

interesting, let me guess this hyperdrives dyno or ovaboost. forget comparing dyno output's from eastern states dyno's if it is on either of those 2.

My old 34 barely made 290hp on hyperdrives yet cars with the same turbo on the east coast were making 350 or some thing silly and my R34 with a RB3025 running a GT3576 made only 370. I have also seen a r33 on hyperdrive's dyno make about the same as yours with a proper GT3071 so it just reads super low compared to other machines.

So what I would suggest is throw the dyno sheet in the bin and take it down the 1/4 mile. As long as it pulls like 14 yo school boy you should be happy.

Those are both roller dynos, and I hardly got any impressive results there :P

OP's at Allstar.

I had planned on going E42 anyway (not just to solve this problem) but it wasn't knock related, just wouldn't make any more power so Sean left it at 16psi.

He didn't really have any ideas & thinks it might just be all the turbo's got in it, which could be completely true but after seeing so many people consistantly make high 300wrhp it's making me wonder.

Fair enough.

It's hard to comment without looking at the graph. My results were more impressive at Allstar, but I still didn't see the same results they are getting over east. My original tuner (Andy at Hyperdrive) told me to be skeptic of any results coming from over east, he doesn't trust them. But then I look at the job he did tuning my car and I wonder... Not to get into a slogging match though, I still think he is a good tuner and a quality bloke. I just happened to be better off at Allstar.

Nah it was on Allstar's hub dyno.

Im not so worried about the number, it just doesn't feel like its producing what its capable of thats all. I mean the stock turbo made 255rwhp on the same dyno with mostly the same setup (except for Z32 & injectors) so I was expecting around the 350 mark.

Like I said though, there's every possibility that there is nothing wrong & this is as good as it's going to get, I just want to make sure theres nothing wrong for safety's sake.

Yeh, but then look at my setup. I'm using a smaller turbo than you and I made 350 on Allstar's dyno. I'm sure yours is capable of more, and the fact that it's making almost peak power at 4500rpm backs that theory up.

When are you hitting full boost?

Those are both roller dynos, and I hardly got any impressive results there :P

OP's at Allstar.

Fair enough.

It's hard to comment without looking at the graph. My results were more impressive at Allstar, but I still didn't see the same results they are getting over east. My original tuner (Andy at Hyperdrive) told me to be skeptic of any results coming from over east, he doesn't trust them. But then I look at the job he did tuning my car and I wonder... Not to get into a slogging match though, I still think he is a good tuner and a quality bloke. I just happened to be better off at Allstar.

Yeah, Sean is a mate which is why I take it there but I have no doubt that Andy is a more than capable tuner!

I will post the graph as soon as I get home tonight cos I do realise its hard without that.

You guys have given me a few things to check anyway & if there's nothing wrong then I'll just drive it & be happy with the results. It could well be that my motor is just a bit shy on power full stop, I was really just concerned that it wouldn't take the extra boost.

Also Hanaldo, looking at your results on the same dyno & a smaller turbo it just seems a little strange that I am getting a fair bit less.

Yeh, but then look at my setup. I'm using a smaller turbo than you and I made 350 on Allstar's dyno. I'm sure yours is capable of more, and the fact that it's making almost peak power at 4500rpm backs that theory up.

When are you hitting full boost?

Full boost @ around 4200

The .60 is the older version without FNT turbine setup. That had no issues making 300rwkws.

Are you running stock intake pipe with EV21 mods? If so Run 3inch metal intake pipe with pod then return with exhaust dropped. Should make 60kws difference.

The .60 is the older version without FNT turbine setup. That had no issues making 300rwkws.

Are you running stock intake pipe with EV21 mods? If so Run 3inch metal intake pipe with pod then return with exhaust dropped. Should make 60kws difference.

Thats what has me concerned, the fact that it seems as if its choking up top. If it continued to make power from 4500 then im guessing mid to high 300rwhp wouldn't be out of the question.

I have a 3" stainless intake so no restriction there.

Edited by Forgot

either Intake or exhaust restrictions causes turbine side to heat up as that stops turbine shaft from spinning. The .82 shouldn't get hot thou. Drop the exhuast and try again.

I think the person whom sold you this turbo have made 265rwkws on pretty mild boost before went for the FNT version with larger comp trim. That should be the base line power.

Ive got the SS2 turbo from hypergear. When I first got it tuned it made 244rwkw on 11psi which was the maximum of the actuator. I took it to Jez on here to get a tune on higher boost. We upped the boost to around 13 - 14psi low boost and 19psi high boost. On low boost there was 246rwkw and on high boost there was 250rwkw. The figure seemed off. At the time my intake pipe was a half metal half rubber. Now it is fill metal but not exactly 3" the whole way(the angle was half moon removed and the pipe bent to a tighter angle, we are losing some diameter). I have a new design for my intake pipe which I need to cut and get welded up soon.

I don't believe that 2psi will give a 2kw difference and a 8psi over the 11psi is only going to give 6kw difference. When I took the car for a drive on the road, there was a HUGE difference between 11 and 13 psi and a MASSIVE SHIT MY PANTS difference between 13psi and 19psi. I never even set it to 19psi(ill upload some pics today of a 13psi run on the streets).

My engine is relatively healthy. I too was concerned something was wrong(now something IS wrong which we gotta fix lol). Ive had a catch can plumbed into my intake, there is not even a drop of oil in the hose leading to it. It is a sealed unit, baffled inside. Not a single trace of oil anywhere so I know I am not getting any head issues or blow by. I have not done a comp test but the car feels very strong, VERY strong, it doesn't seem sluggish and fuel economy is close to 350 with moderate throttle probably closer to 400 if I reduce throttle which may indicate the engine is not too tired yet. I am also running a quite rich tune up top to prevent any detonation as 19psi is alot of boost in a stock motor.

I never dropped the exhaust to see how it goes, maybe if I get it on rollers again ill see what happens. I'm going to take it for a run at CRD see what it pushes on their dyno.

Try get a compression test done. If compression is good, your block and head should be good so you can take a breath of relief knowing they are fine. You look like you've got all the supporting mods too. The dropped exhaust didn't give you any gains either so you can rule that out. Without looking at the dyno figure, how do YOU think it feels on the street? Do you feel like its not as fast as it should be?

Tuning is tuning. There is no magic to tuning. Its a simple concept really, adjust your fuel ratios then give it timing. There is nothing hidden that one tuner can do and another one cant. If there is then the tuner you went to shouldn't be a tuner lol. Show some pictures of your intake setup, lets see how she looks. Hopefully this Sunday I can fix up all the issues with my car and then get a new intake pipe made.

either Intake or exhaust restrictions causes turbine side to heat up as that stops turbine shaft from spinning. The .82 shouldn't get hot thou. Drop the exhuast and try again.

I think the person whom sold you this turbo have made 265rwkws on pretty mild boost before went for the FNT version with larger comp trim. That should be the base line power.

Well that almost rules out the turbo if it's preformance has been proven.

I will try another run without the exhaust & see what happens.

Ive got the SS2 turbo from hypergear. When I first got it tuned it made 244rwkw on 11psi which was the maximum of the actuator. I took it to Jez on here to get a tune on higher boost. We upped the boost to around 13 - 14psi low boost and 19psi high boost. On low boost there was 246rwkw and on high boost there was 250rwkw. The figure seemed off. At the time my intake pipe was a half metal half rubber. Now it is fill metal but not exactly 3" the whole way(the angle was half moon removed and the pipe bent to a tighter angle, we are losing some diameter). I have a new design for my intake pipe which I need to cut and get welded up soon.

I don't believe that 2psi will give a 2kw difference and a 8psi over the 11psi is only going to give 6kw difference. When I took the car for a drive on the road, there was a HUGE difference between 11 and 13 psi and a MASSIVE SHIT MY PANTS difference between 13psi and 19psi. I never even set it to 19psi(ill upload some pics today of a 13psi run on the streets).

My engine is relatively healthy. I too was concerned something was wrong(now something IS wrong which we gotta fix lol). Ive had a catch can plumbed into my intake, there is not even a drop of oil in the hose leading to it. It is a sealed unit, baffled inside. Not a single trace of oil anywhere so I know I am not getting any head issues or blow by. I have not done a comp test but the car feels very strong, VERY strong, it doesn't seem sluggish and fuel economy is close to 350 with moderate throttle probably closer to 400 if I reduce throttle which may indicate the engine is not too tired yet. I am also running a quite rich tune up top to prevent any detonation as 19psi is alot of boost in a stock motor.

I never dropped the exhaust to see how it goes, maybe if I get it on rollers again ill see what happens. I'm going to take it for a run at CRD see what it pushes on their dyno.

Try get a compression test done. If compression is good, your block and head should be good so you can take a breath of relief knowing they are fine. You look like you've got all the supporting mods too. The dropped exhaust didn't give you any gains either so you can rule that out. Without looking at the dyno figure, how do YOU think it feels on the street? Do you feel like its not as fast as it should be?

Tuning is tuning. There is no magic to tuning. Its a simple concept really, adjust your fuel ratios then give it timing. There is nothing hidden that one tuner can do and another one cant. If there is then the tuner you went to shouldn't be a tuner lol. Show some pictures of your intake setup, lets see how she looks. Hopefully this Sunday I can fix up all the issues with my car and then get a new intake pipe made.

Seems like you are having similar problems, what does your tuner think about your situation? My intake is definately not a restriction though as mine is simply a 3" 45 degree bend with the Z32 & pod filter attached to the end.

As far as how it FEELS, well it feels like it has 320rwhp. If it felt like it was making the appropriate power then I wouldn't care what boost I was running but it just doesn't, even if you take into consideration the variance between the east & west coast dyno figures, its definately lacking for some reason.

I hope you manage to sort your issues out as well! Can be frustrating sometimes.

I had a RB20DET with a ATR43G3 0.63 rear on the same dyno (with a lot more boost)

Did a similar thing... 300rwhp @ 5000rpm but only made 51hp more!

Food for thought :)

Well its good to compare to someone who's been on the same dyno with a pretty similar turbo.

I'll have a chat to Sean & see what we can come up with , maybe thats all she's got.

In reality there is a difference though. There's a lot of variables that can affect the tune, and what one tuner considers safe and good may just be a poor tune to someone else. I picked up 60rwhp and about 600rpm of response just by changing tuner. Even if I ignore the number because I changed dyno as well, the car is definitely fast now.

For example, you believe your fuel economy is good. If I were getting 400kms to a tank, I'd be annoyed. I get 600kms to a tank. Difference in tune.

I had a RB20DET with a ATR43G3 0.63 rear on the same dyno (with a lot more boost)

Did a similar thing... 300rwhp @ 5000rpm but only made 51hp more!

Food for thought :)

Thats very impressive figure for a Rb20det. I'm running a ATR43G3 high flow in stock nissan housing pulling 287rwkws on 19psi. Turbo's definitly got more then 300rwhp. Check intake, exhaust, cooler, its normally one of those things.

Actually Stao, you are probably most qualified to comment on this but what do you make of my & SimonR32's power delivery?

It seems that both of us made pretty good power through the midrange but didn't make much more at all from then onwards. Most dyno graphs I have seen that are using your turbos seem to make good power right the way through to redline (ecept in cases where boost control is an issue).

I will post up my graph tonight but it is quite similar to the one SimonR32 posted.