SAU Community

3076R Failure. Gtx3076R On 30Det Or Other?

sriver killer

Hello everyone,

As a couple of you already know the gt3076R which was only on my car for a total of about 10,000 kms has failed!

It has some slight shaft play though my main concern was The front oil seal in the turbo (piston ring seal) had eaten through the housing that they normally sit in.

The turbocharger is at garrett for warranty and I will be doing what I can to achieve a good result from the warranty.

I am entirely happy by the way the setup drove with the 3076R on there.

Now that my old turbo is dead the opportunity is here to replace/upgrade.

I have had my eyes set on the GTX3076R, I am hoping that by choosing this turbo there is only going to be improvements from the original 3076R whether its marginal or not, I hope to be buying turbocharger thats an improvement.

Alot of the info that I have seen seems to point that it needs big boost/ E85 to make it worthwhile, will I be having this same issue on my 30det or can I expect to make more horsepower across the whole graph compared to the original.

The issue that I had with the original 3076R was that from 17psi onwards the turbo needed big increments of boost to make the hp gain worthwhile (5psi for 12hp) this would be reaching max efficiency correct?

What can I expect to be different about running the GTX on my setup, i made 430rwhp on 17 psi can I expect more on that sort of boost level or are these turbo's not in their effeciency range yet.

I still haven't knocked out another contender

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page__st__2680

atr43g3 with fnt housing

I am impressed with those results and wouldn't mind converting back to one of them due to garretts lack of support.

My engine setup is as follows...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/377415-my-2530-build-before-and-after-results/

my plan is rb30det

6boost

ext gate,

all supporting mods

GTX3076R/atr43 with .82 rear housing

cheers for your input!

is the motor built?

the engine has been running in car for about a month (if I read that correctly)

Otherwise stock pistons and rods, mls headgasket arp rodbolts and headstuds and some good tuning

This was my build thread if you need to verify http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/377415-my-2530-build-before-and-after-results/

I do not intend to use it for E85. pump fuel only

in that case your limit will be whatever the standard pistons can handle. reason i asked was, if its a stocker bottom end then your not gonna be able to push much further power wise and a gtx would be a waste. but in this case it comes down to how far your willing to push the standard pistons.

Bit confused by your opening post, is Garrett going to honour your warranty and give you a credit? If so, then you would choose a garrett turbo simply for convenience.

Just to confirm you are happy with how the 3076 performed before it failed? I read the sentence a few times but just wanted to make sure.

If so then I think a GTX3076 would be a perfect fit, from my reading you wont gain much at 17psi but when you increase the boost you should notice large increases in hp as the GTX turbo comes into its efficiency.

If you dont get a credit with Garrett then yes the ATR43G3 is a great option too! Or maybe a kando T67 :)

Bit confused by your opening post, is Garrett going to honour your warranty and give you a credit? If so, then you would choose a garrett turbo simply for convenience.

Just to confirm you are happy with how the 3076 performed before it failed? I read the sentence a few times but just wanted to make sure.

If so then I think a GTX3076 would be a perfect fit, from my reading you wont gain much at 17psi but when you increase the boost you should notice large increases in hp as the GTX turbo comes into its efficiency.

If you dont get a credit with Garrett then yes the ATR43G3 is a great option too! Or maybe a kando T67 :)

The warranty on this turbo isn't a clear cut case in terms of why it failed/what caused it. I am stuck in this process of turbocharger tennis, where between MTQ and Garrett info is being handed back and forth via email until they decide what actually happened.

As for honouring warranty not just yet but I am pursuing an outcome. They have given me the option of purchasing another turbo to get me on the road.

I am very happy with the setup. I am interested in the GTX as a bit of an upgrade from the 3076r, or even the atr43G3 with FNT.

I am balancing between the two, looking at the results that I am seeing in the hypergear thread the atr43g3 are a proven and have awesome results internally gated.

With external gate the results should even look better again.

am I right with coming to the concencus that there is going to be marginal difference on a 30det by throwing the GTX3076R on there? I would not want to go backwards by throwing one on there.

I am only going to push the motor as far as it wants to go, the old 3076R got to about 17 psi on the graph and any more than that it needed large increments of boost to make any difference to hp (like 5 psi for 10-15 hp atw)

Would I be expecting the same result from the GTX3076R until I get higher up the compressor map?

The GTX wont be a step backwards, the question is how much better will it be. On an rb25 and if you are happy to run more boost ie 22+psi then yes you will notice quite a difference. My only question is will this be the same on an rb30, is there someone who is an expert on compressor maps who can comment?

I think the ATR43G3 is also an excellent turbo and being plain bearing seems to be more reliable. I think either way you will be happy.

The GTX wont be a step backwards, the question is how much better will it be. On an rb25 and if you are happy to run more boost ie 22+psi then yes you will notice quite a difference. My only question is will this be the same on an rb30, is there someone who is an expert on compressor maps who can comment?

I think the ATR43G3 is also an excellent turbo and being plain bearing seems to be more reliable. I think either way you will be happy.

I guess what I am really asking is when will I be in that GTX efficiency range when it is actually going to make a difference. This gtx is such an unknown quantity to deal with. lol

Hello everyone,

As a couple of you already know the gt3076R which was only on my car for a total of about 10,000 kms has failed!

It has some slight shaft play though my main concern was The front oil seal in the turbo (piston ring seal) had eaten through the housing that they normally sit in.

The statement in bold doesn't make sense.

What oil feed line were you using to the turbo and what sort of oil are you using?

The statement in bold doesn't make sense.

What oil feed line were you using to the turbo and what sort of oil are you using?

The front oil seal (compressor side) sits in a groove on the main shaft from the core.

It acts like a piston ring and sits inside a housing, stopping oil from the core escaping into the compressor.

This ring had eaten its way through the alloy housing that it sat in.

10W40 is my choice and just the standard oil line that garrett supply.