SAU Community

Options For An R32 Project

So I have a 1989 R32 GTS auto, and I picked it up fairly cheap, was going to work on it myself as my first project and then to be my first car, but recently after trying to fix a coolant leak, I somehow lost one of my welsh plugs at the back of the engine block, right up again the firewall... So now its basically stuffed and sitting in my garage... The body is is need of a full respray (sanded down to nothing and start from scratch) and the front and rear bumpers need replacing.. I don't know much about body work but I figured to get this done I would be looking at paying around $2000.. Then there's the engine side, I think I would end up paying around $1200 for the work and this includes the coolant leak from the heat hose that was already there and any other issues they may find... I'm not sure on those figure they are just a guess as this is my first car... Now I know a skyline for a first car is something frowned upon on these forums but I am no p-plater with 100 fake hours and a mullet. I grew up on acreage and have learnt to many drive different cars (bush bashing) and have been driving since the age of about 13.

So I just want to see what other people would think as I only have a few mates with opinions about what to do. I could fully remove the rb20 in there and drop a 25 in the only issue there is that I feel because its only an auto I wont enjoy it and then I still have to pay the 2000 to make her look good. Or I could get these issue fixed but that's alot of money to pay on a car that may not have much life left in her. I could sell the car as is for about 2500 I reckon and save up for something cleaner and that doesn't need work. Or buy another shell and go from there maybe take the rb20 out of the current one, sell the shell, fix the engine issue and then buy another shell with no exterior issues and drop the engine into that. This work would all have to be done professionally unless maybe I get a hand from some mates but even then its kind of a difficult job.

So what option would be the best, are my estimations on costs close or way off, or is there another option I could take that I have overlooked?

Thanks,

Mack

Your estimated costs... prepare to pay twice that if not more.

You cant just swap engines like you swap your undies, its illegal. If the engine didnt come in the car in the first place, it has to have an engineers cert to certify it meets emissions standards. The only 25 you can drop in is the non-VCT rb25de out of 32 gts25s which are harder to come across and ultimately a huge waste of time.

Coolant leak? Sounds like a broken radiator pipe, easy fix. Broken radiator? $300-$500+

If the car is already a colour and you respray it the same it can reduce the cost, but in your case its not. Front and rear bumpers , full sand down , and a DECENT full body respray = $3000+ atleast. Fair chance the things got rust in it too so theres more work to be done.

IMO, sell the car. You probs wont get 2500 for a rb20de auto skyline with coolant leaks, f**ked bumpers and shit paint tho, ide pay $1000 max.

Unless youre experienced, dont try and attempt any of what youve set out to do, its not worth it, will make you hate the car. Not trying to bring your hopes down or anything but things like paint jobs and such need to be done right or they look shit and last no time at all.

my 2c

Edited by NISMØ

Your estimated costs... prepare to pay twice that if not more.

You cant just swap engines like you swap your undies, its illegal. If the engine didnt come in the car in the first place, it has to have an engineers cert to certify it meets emissions standards. The only 25 you can drop in is the non-VCT rb25de out of 32 gts25s which are harder to come across and ultimately a huge waste of time.

Coolant leak? Sounds like a broken radiator pipe, easy fix. Broken radiator? $300-$500+

If the car is already a colour and you respray it the same it can reduce the cost, but in your case its not. Front and rear bumpers , full sand down , and a DECENT full body respray = $3000+ atleast. Fair chance the things got rust in it too so theres more work to be done.

IMO, sell the car. You probs wont get 2500 for a rb20de auto skyline with coolant leaks, f**ked bumpers and shit paint tho, ide pay $1000 max.

Unless youre experienced, dont try and attempt any of what youve set out to do, its not worth it, will make you hate the car. Not trying to bring your hopes down or anything but things like paint jobs and such need to be done right or they look shit and last no time at all.

my 2c

Thanks for that, after having abit more thought about it, it looks like I will have to sell it.

Any other opinions are welcome