SAU Community

New Xtreme Clutch In, No Pedal Feel

VLSteve

Hi all, I've got an RB25DET in my car, and I just replaced the clutch with an xtreme organic HD.

Flywheel was machined, and I also replaced the throwout bearing which came with the kit.

When I put my foot on the clutch pedal theres almost no feeling. Master cylinder adjuster has been turned all the way out.

I've even bled the clutch, but I shouldnt have needed to as I didnt disconnect the hydralic line!

I'm guessing I might have to pull the box back out, but I checked everything when it went together so I dont know what would be wrong?

Looking through the dust boot that sits over the throwout fork, the clip is still sitting over the pivot ball ok.

I even swapped the master and slave from my other car to see if it would make any difference

Any suggestions?

Edited by DasBlitz

I can push it in really easy, only feel some pressure when the pedal is just about on the floor.

No air in the system and no leaks.

It previously had the stock standard nissan clutch

well it seems i've even been sold the wrong clutch- ended up with one for an RB30E VL / R31

so the throwout bearing or pressure plate are probably wrong size for an rb25det gearbox and thats whats causing my problem

also means ive gotta take the f**ken box out again

Edited by DasBlitz

well thats the only explanation I've got at the moment. I'm going to have to wait until later this week when I get around to pulling the box off again.

xtreme reckon they sent the right clutch to the shop I bought it from, but the part number their website catalogue shows isnt the same as what was given to me...

Bugger that is a frickin pain. I've gotten into the habit now of comparing pressure plate and clutch plate sizes when replacing them. Obviously clutch plates will be different thicknesses but it's easier to pick up the differences when they are side by side.

I'm guessing that if you used an RB20DET or na RB30 5 speed it would work. RB25DET box bellhousing is bigger and a bit longer, as the box is massive compared to the others!

Did you notice the difference in the bearings when you changed them? Strange as my freind has a r31 with rb30 and a 25 box using a rb30 clutch kit and its fine. The only difference I would of thought between the kits would be different clutch and pressure size since there flys are diff.And how did the clutch fit if it was for a rb30 flywheel?

Edited by boostn0199

• 1 year later...

Sorry to hijack a thread but i'm having this exact same problem on my vl and need it fixed asap so i have a car again.

Problem with mine is that the clutch wont disengage until the pedal is pushed hard against the floor and even then there is only juuust enough movement to disengage the clutch. My clutch pedal is also adjusted right out and have also swapped master and slave cylinders but that doesnt appear to be the problem. there was also zero air in the system.

Engine is a rb30, gearbox: rb30 na mf5, clutch: brand new rb25det (i think) exedy hd sports tuff single plate (the pink one).

What i decided to do is use the throw out bearing that came with the clutch which is no doubt to suit the r33gtst box and i have used this throw out bearing on the vl carrier rather than the r33 carrier as i am using a vl gearbox with the rb25det clutch.

What i did notice is that the r33 bearing had a taper which located it right centered in the hole in the pressure plate prongs which meant it sat in slightly where as the vl throw out bearing was larger in diametre and maybe slightly in height meaning it would push higher up on the pressure plate prongs and would still end up centred as the shaft would locate into the clutch hub and spigot bush. I also noticed that the r33 carrier is definately a different height to the vl although they look identical.

So anyway what i'm thinking is that the rb25det throw out bearing on the vl carrier doesnt have enough throw to disengage properly. and also the r33 TO bearing sitting right in the centre of the pressure plate may mean it needs more throw to flex the pressure plate than the vl TO bearing that sits higher up.

Anyway i'm taking the box out again and i'm pretty annoyed with myself so i want to get this right.

I'm planning on now using the vl throw out bearing on the vl carrier in the vl gearbox and hope that will fix my problem as everything will be as per factory specs except the clutch, which looks identical to the old one that was in the rb30 box and is the exact same diametre.

So what are everyones thoughts and as to what the problem could be? I would appreciate any help i can get.

I always thought R31/32/33 clutch plates, pressure plates, and throw bearings were interchangeable. Saying that I am using a clutch made for a 300ZX in my current R33.

Dumb question, but did you put the fork in properly (I think it's called that, the fork that holds the bearing and comes out of the gearbox for the slave to push)