SAU Community

clutch burns - how to avoid them?

hi i'm a fairly new manual driver and i get clutch burn fairly often. any tips on how to avoid this? i try to release my clutch pretty quickly on gear shifts but when it comes to reversing and going upslope slowly during traffic on 1st gear, it tends to occur. much obliged am i!!

less revs.. more clutch release. comes with practice, may even want to get it adjusted.

i take it that its only happening when your starting in first or reverse?

by the time the cars initially moving forwards with your revs still down towards 1grand.. smoothly release the clutch fully and continue accelerating.

sorry if its something else attributing to it.

here's a tip that has always worked for everyone i've given it to. go to a flat bit of road and stop the car..... put it first and leave yr foot off the gas... then slowly remove the clutch. your aim obviously is to get the car going with now gas until u have the clutch all the way out. i found this helped people get an idea about where and how their cluch bites and just how much power u need to supply.

do you have to fully depress your clutch to change gears, or will slightly depressing it do?

here's a tip that has always worked for everyone i've given it to. go to a flat bit of road and stop the car..... put it first and leave yr foot off the gas... then slowly remove the clutch. your aim obviously is to get the car going with now gas until u have the clutch all the way out. i found this helped people get an idea about where and how their cluch bites and just how much power u need to supply.

that's right, only in 1st or reverse

less revs.. more clutch release.  comes with practice, may even want to get it adjusted.

i take it that its only happening when your starting in first or reverse?

by the time the cars initially moving forwards with your revs still down towards 1grand.. smoothly release the clutch fully and continue accelerating.  

sorry if its something else attributing to it.

dam man just practise .... i generaly say just practise on level ground first without any acceleration, then practise on a gental slope with minimal acceleration on major slopes just use the handbrake too assist you , use hand brake just untill you feel load on the engine thats when your clutch is engaging then slowly release your hand brake as well at the same time using a little acceleration you would not need too go above 1000rpm too take off from a hill if you do it will result in a smelly intirior for a while ...hehe ...

"practise makes perfect "

as for your clutch in... for now... do it to the floor... when u get into the flow of things then work on quick shifting. heh its always easy to get over eager on a gear change and dump yr clutch too early, god knows on occasion i still do.

quick shifting meaning slightly depressing the clutch on gear shifts or still fully depressing the clutch but letting it go fast?

as for your clutch in... for now... do it to the floor... when u get into the flow of things then work on quick shifting. heh its always easy to get over eager on a gear change and dump yr clutch too early, god knows on occasion i still do.

haha man .......... quick shift is just a quick shift but you dont have too engauge the clutch all the way all the time this will damage the thrust bearing , all u need too do is depres the clutch just enuf for a quick smooth move .me i only depres the clutch about a quater of the way for a quick shift but my box and clutch are modifyed to do this , i practecly str8 shift all through the gears , but if u have a standard clutch and box just depress the clutch half way and see how u go there ....

i would suggest going to driving school, or having someone experienced teach you. Not going to learn too much by reading. Also, I wouldnt reccomend changing gears with the clutch only slightly depressed... quick way to **** things up.

Well not realy all u need too do is release the clutch enuff too disengauge the mesh of the teeth then bring it back on again ...... full engauge is for start offs and reversing if you do it all the time your just gonna get a jolty ride all the way..... yes if you dont depress the clutch in enuff your gonna get crunchy problems but there is no need too depress all the way down ..... thats another second your wasting in a lost race ...

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/img/kb2gpx_bn_b.gif

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/img/kb2gpx_bn_b.gif

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/head.html

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/head.html