SAU Community

How To Start Drifitng

effortz

Hey Guys biggrin.gif

Names Yohann, only 16, I've grown up with cars love them, love Gran Turismo and I can't wait until I get my P's.

I'm just wondering what I need to cover if I were to make a drift car? I really want to take drifting up

I heard it's expensive maintaining the car? Would buying a second hand car be cheaper or just getting the shell and then doing a engine swap?

How does the insurance work with a drifting car, it's not road legal is it?

Would it be difficult doing so since I'll be on my P's? because I aim to get this done from 18+

And of course I'll be taking lessons before I get the car!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Yohann

Edited by effortz

Until you get a feel for a car you will have no hope. i could say handbrake to get the car sliding and then use the throttle to control angle etc but that wouldnt really mean much. I learnt how to drive in the pine forest. I wouldnt call myself a dr1fter as all the cool cats call it. I just like to get the car sideways on the abandoned air strips and fish tail up there. something like that is a good start, somewhere you cant kill others, or get nagged my an angry mob as it is very frowned upon :(. and on the money side of it... unless you are making +700 a week in my opinion you wont be able to "maintain" your drift car as they arent a very practical daily (constantly clearing defects). the chepest way would be getting a shell obviously. If you are serious save some coin, if you can use a spanner get a shell if not buy complete car. Good luck. If you are for real its an expensive path...

Oh and another piece of advice no matter how realistic your forza 4 or GT5 is. IT IS NOTHING. I repeat NOTHING like the games. You crash and that how you learn. there is no rewind button.

Forza 4 and GT5 arent, get a logitech G25-G27 and play Live for speed www.lfs.net, its how i learned to drift and how i practice, steering techniques are the same and can be carried over from the game to real life and its good for learning lines and how to follow someone

buy a NA S13 (p plater legal), lock the diff, get a decent seat and go drifting

only spend money on fixing it, entry fee's and tyre's and it will cost shit all as long as you don't buy a bomb and do all the work yourself

At least your asking the right questions.

As stated above it's best to have a 2nd car as a drift car incase somthing happens (i've come close to the wall).

If you deside to use your daily as a minum do the following.

2nd hand coilovers, somthing with seperate hight and spring rate adj like cusco zero 2R. BC's are good bang for buck if you wona go new.

Front and rear struts bracs and front and rear sway bars.

A front mouht intercooler (return flow is best for road legal) 3" dump pipe and exhaust. stock airbox with K&N panel filter and a tune (nistune ecu is a good bang for buck ecu)

You will need a helemt and i highly recermend a harnes. I used stock mounting points (removed rear seat) and drilled a hole in the transmition tunnel, keep the stock seat belt for road use and use the harnes for tack. This wont be illegal.

Oh and one other thing a set of 17x8 or 17x9 are good as you can run a 235/45/17 which are generly the cheepest to get.

Here's my take on advise for a first time drifter (disclaimer : this is my opinion from my own experiences , take it how you want)

To start drifting you're going to need a car , remember your learning , it's going to get trashed . forget being fully hectic and jdm , your car doesn't have to come from japan to drift , there are plenty of local rwd cars to pick through (i'm actually building a 'missile' atm out of a el falcon , best bang for buck i could find on the market , a good sift through classifieds can find you one well under 1k and manual conversions if needed are easy to find for cheap and parts are still plentiful) , get onto bond roll cages and buy a bolt in roll cage (if you crash bad enough to not be able to put it in another car , it was money well spent) , get yourself a decent lsd or even a weldy , a nice comfy seat that holds you in place and make sure your h/brake works , search for some decent s/h springs/shocks add the obvious like tyres etc and get out there and give it a go :)

Yep, I agree with toffy.

Step 1, buy a manual RWD car with LSD or weldy for less than $1500

Step 2, get some tyres

Step 3, go to a drift practice day.

Step 4, rip some skids.

Step 5, repeat step 4 until you run out of something (tyres, fuel or talent)

Keep drifting that snotter for at least 1 season. Maybe give it some love, see how you feel.

Once you've mastered that and can rip a pretty good skid, save up and buy a 2nd hand car that's already proven, you see lots of drift cars for sale for less than $15k that are pretty epic. And I can guarentee you'll get more bang for buck getting a $10-15k drift car than spending $15k on your snotter. Plus you can then lend your snotter to a mate and share the drifting love :)

If I had to do it again that's what I'd do. I spent too much dosh on my car straight up, now I'm to chicken to point it at the wall or do massive entrys.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how common this is, but it was the problem with me and a few others I know. What I started drifting I often used the throttle too much, I tried to use the throttle to control how far the back of the car came out, this isn't the best technique I found. It is better to treat the throttle as a tool to keep the rear end slippery, only use enough throttle as you need to keep broken traction in the rear. Use your steering wheel to control the slide, this is a much better way to learn and will set you up well for later on when you start doing 120km/h+ corners in the dry. Much better to control the slide.

Also, a good seat makes a huge difference, same with steering wheel.

I'm not sure how common this is, but it was the problem with me and a few others I know. What I started drifting I often used the throttle too much, I tried to use the throttle to control how far the back of the car came out, this isn't the best technique I found. It is better to treat the throttle as a tool to keep the rear end slippery, only use enough throttle as you need to keep broken traction in the rear. Use your steering wheel to control the slide, this is a much better way to learn and will set you up well for later on when you start doing 120km/h+ corners in the dry. Much better to control the slide.

Also, a good seat makes a huge difference, same with steering wheel.

This man speaks the truth thumbsup.gif

I started off with 300rwkw, this is not help at all. pirate.gif