SAU Community

Drew And Jess's Rb26 Disaster

ryu1605

Ok so as a few of you know, Jess and myself bought a 32 gtr not long ago and the day after finally getting our hands on it the engine decided to produce a very lovely knocking sound.

We made the decision to pull the engine and pull it apart to find out exactly what went wrong. in short....its pretty bad lol.

From what we can see there were a lot of corners cut when this engine was being built and it also seems as though it wasn't really run in after being put into the car. so its been slowly killing itself since day 1.

on the plus side, i feel a lot better knowing i couldn't really have avoided the damage. knowing exactly what went wrong and why has given me a bit of closure lol.

the only bottom end parts that are really re-usable are the block and crank, although both will need a little bit of work to be good again. the head also copped a bit of damage from piston no. 3 smacking against the bottom of it so the head will need a little bit of work also and the turbo's can be re-used but in the not to distant future would need a bit of a freshen up. also seems as though theres been a fair bit of dodgey work done on the engine bay loom so that will need to be fixed up before anything.

we have a few options in terms of rebuilding at the moment but unfortunately with the extent of the damage a rebuild is going to be out of our price range for a while.

i think at the moment we're leaning more towards sourcing a stocker to throw in just so we can drive the beautiful thing around instead of leaving it sitting there for what could potentially be over a year while we save up money to rebuild.

so i need everyone on here to keep an eye out for preferably a stock r33 rb26 or a late r32 rb26 that we can throw in lol

i might even have a bit more of a chat to fatz about the one he's selling at the moment.

i'd just like to say thanks for all the help and advice you guys have provided over the last 2 weeks or so. it means a lot that complete strangers would go out of their way to help us out and offer lots of advice.

cheers guys!!

Drew

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah took a couple of pics on my phone and i have the pistons and rods in a box at home lol little bit of a momento haha

when i work out how to post pics (coz im a forum noob lol) i'll post some up

As you can imagine, at first i was extremely far from happy lol

But shit happens hey. getting/staying angry from here will only make things seem a million times worse. plus i'm getting pretty old now (24 lol) so maybe im just a lot wiser with my old age lol

Have to just cop it on the chin and fix the bloody thing. at the moment im probably more excited than anything else. we're closer to being able to drive it again now than we have been in 2 months :banana:

That sucks to hear Drew.

Let me know if you need a hand with something, I'll see if I have any free time. I have bought stuff from Fatz but I never end up using his gear and decide to sell it on :P.

If you MMS me the pics, i'll post them up here for you ;).

Cheers Eiji, i'll send you the pics tomorrow.

the only thing i can think of that we'd be able to do in the immediate future is have a look at all the wiring lol

we're still deciding exactly which way to go engine wise

I've been lucky on the engine, but replaced most things around it.

Good luck with it all, I'd love to hear how the eventual rebuild goes.

Some of the semi track racers have two engines, one built, one stock for when the built ones blows.

Yeah definitely ate something lol. Oil pump seems perfectly fine though. We were gonna open up the pump but after seeing the internal damage of everything else decided it wasn't worth it. So no idea what it ate lol.

Cheers for that Eiji

Just a bit of an update for everyone.

So today after work I'm heading to ESP to pick up all the bits and pieces of this engine. Me and Jess sat down and had a big chat about exactly what we want to do and have come to a decision.

The GTR has officially been put on hold for the moment. We decided that we're gonna take the money we have saved for the gtr and go to Japan for a month or so early next year. Kind of spoil ourselves a little bit after this massive run of bad luck we've had lol.

Once we get back we're gonna save up some more money and fix the damn car.

As of right now I'm really not sure which direction we will end up heading engine wise. Now that we've got heaps of time to think about it knowing me I'll change my mind at least 50 billion times lol.

Do we stick with a 26, use this N1 block and build a monster?

Do we sell almost everything and build a crazy rb26/30?

Do we stay twin or go the single turbo route?

Or do we source a very nice low k stock 33 rb26?

So many options!!! Lol

I'm sure Japan will give me even more ideas haha but at least we've got a lot of time so we don't rush into anything and make a bad decision.

Will tackle this with a clear mind early next year and hopefully will be on the roads showing off before this time next year.

Don't worry though, I'll still be around asking stupid questions like the noob that I am lol. Hopefully catch up with some of you at the track day next weekend. Hoping to get dad to come and see what he's getting himself into now he owns my old gts lol.

Cheers guys!

Drew

I know what you mean about changing your mind all the time lol

Personally given the option I would rebuild the N1 block.

Nothing crazy, good pistons, Standard rods, good bearings

Providing the piston skirts are ok, you may even be able to reuse those ones (in a different block)

If you like I can come have a look at what you have and what you can reuse

Yeah actually that would be really good. Let me know when you're free and then I can check out this new A70 of yours.

I'm definitely leaning more towards something nice and simple instead of something crazy. Purely for a good reliable engine that we can just cruise in. Originally I wanted to track this thing and maybe enter some super sprints or something but after all this I'm starting to see that I won't be able to afford the upkeep of a track going gtr for a least a few more years. Might have to buy a beat up gtst to play with lol

After you get back and make a decision i would definitely be interested in the turbos depending on the price as this time a year is going to be expensive!

Enjoy your trip to Japan!