SAU Community

What Not To Do To Your Ecr33

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen,

it's his car, he owns it so he can do whatever he likes!! Give the guy some credit for getting in the garage and having a go????

awesome thread mate, very interesting with the testing and so on!

He is puting his knowledge into practice and it's cool!!!

Some people may get the wrong idea, I for one want Aequel to continue, but do a search on everything he is about to experiment with. Then with some knowledge take the extra step. Lecturers at university spend their lives reading in search of knowledge, read 1st.

My 1st car was a beach buggy that I had turboed by Benson's turbos back in 1978, my god, the mistakes I made with that car. I kept going though and after my second engine rebuild with lots of help I was stoked. Low 12s all day every day. So yes, I do understand. How about if Aequel tells us what he is about to do then we could suggest a direction ? This way he shouldn't end up with any further damage.

Thanks for all the replies all replies, warnings, concerns, flame and advice. I normally jack from the official jack points when I do oil changes and when I did the torsion tests. The only reason I was trying to jack the rear of the car in a different way was because I needed an alternative method as my jack won't lift the car high enough for the stands and wanted a method other than using wood ramps to see if it were possible. I didn't go under the car with a phone book holding up the jack, I quite like living.

The only reason I haven't done anything recently is because Christmas is unexpectedly busy this year for me for a change. >_<

The jack and stands are Orcon and set me back ~$150 all up a few years back they passed "standards"; I assumed (god damn hoped) that was good enough not to break on me. I'm starting to think ramps are a very good idea.

As for research, I'm only really doing modifications which I have heard do have some benefit and nothing drastic (The stuff I'm not confident with I'll take to the shop). I know there is a lot of information on this forum and it may seem like I'm proving what's already proven however the most proof readily available is a word or another qualitative result of a modification which is all heresay - I wanted to turn that into numbers and make it available for people to see so it can be settled.

For example, on this forum from the words of some very reputable people regarding strut braces is that the benefit is questionable and may simply be a placebo effect.

My area which I am trained is definitely not Engineering or even Theoretical Physics - it is merely a hobby. I am a trained experimentalist.

I really don't know why someone was questioning why I was doing weight reduction though... I thought it was quite reasonable considering the amount of time I didn't need the spare tyre and jack in my boot and the fact that I don't have road side assist or go on long road trips often lugging it along all the time is purely out of anxiety.

I've reduced the mass of the car by over 1% without even thinking and given Acceleration = Force ÷ Mass - for the same force but mass now 0.99 of the total (Multiply by 1 ÷ 0.99 both sides) acceleration improves by approximately 1%, not to mention deceleration too and cornering all of which follow the same concept. That surely has to be a reason to remove weight.

:cheers:

Keep going mate you will get there just read before you touch google is your friend. There would be hundreds of people on this site that have done the same thing you did. Most people on here will flame you when they have no way of knowing how to do it themselves. Talk to mechanics and fabricators that know what they are talking about not just heard it somewhere. Good luck with your build and be safe

So you didnt measure actual IAT's, just the temperature of the pod filter?

Yeah exactly, he has just measured ambient temps near the pod filter with the bonnet open and (presumably) the car idling. To extrapolate this to IAT's when actually driving is not very rigorous.

Also, please explain how you measured the torsional rigidity of the car? with a tape measure after hopefully jacking the car up in the same spot?

Dunno either but I LOL's a lot.

I am so torn by this thread. Do I keep watching to see a young man learning from his experiences or do I keep watching to see yet another Skyline ruined from an almost child like curiosity. That chassis rail being crushed is really quite disturbing. Rounded nuts, taking weight out of the car for no apparent reason, installing a strut brace and bending things, very worrying. I kinda get where Marlin's coming from. These cars are the XY GT Falcons of the future and just like them Skylines will continue to be abused, crashed and worked on by fools till they are all but a memory, so sad.

But the other side is that it's kind of entertaining to see an experiment where the researcher could conceivably be crushed beneath his experiment. This forum is so full of all the answers you are looking for. It is a bit like a doctor discovering a cure for the clap, writing a book about it then finding out there are 100 books already written on the subject using a cure they found 20 years ago. Research is about reading, listening and learning. Have you ever wandered why most discoveries are found by old people ? It's because they have taken a life time to find knowledge and then take that knowledge one step further.

The light bulb has been discovered and you are trying to invent a light bulb. By the way, removing parts of the car is fine but the spare wheel ? The only discovery you may make is that you will look a little red faced on the side of the road when you get a flat. When you have read every page in this forum, and I think I have, then go forward, discover, but at this time with your mechanical experience read the manual for correct positioning of the jack.

Don't be so high and mighty! I have to agree with Roy here, we have all made stupid mistake and foolish mods when we started out. Me I still consider myself a learner, I have made this dumb mistake to date:

Car rolled off jack, but luckily all wheels were on but still tipped over an axle stand and did minor damage.

Trashed the flare nut thread on a brembo caliper.

Bent cross member with a jack (slighly).

Rounded flare nut.

Put wrong coil packs in and wrecked them doing so lol.

I'm not sure if the OP is doing satire or is serious but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, so good luck to him.:thumbsup:

For example, on this forum from the words of some very reputable people regarding strut braces is that the benefit is questionable and may simply be a placebo effect.

To see the extra stiffness benefits you need to put the car under high loads which you jacking a wheel doesn't do.

If you want to experiment get some strain gauges on the chassis and hit a track.

When you have a stiff nut, be gentle with it and take your time. It is common for those nuts to round because they are so tight but you can loosen them with either a pole on the end of a breaker bar or tapping a socket on it. A few sharp taps will cause vibration to loosen it up a bit. Get yourself a decent Kinchrome socket set. $100-200 and will help immensely with your project. I have one as well as my full SP Tools toolbox and I use the Kinchrome one more at home. Their lifetime warranty is good too. Broke the ratchet and the breaker bar. No worries.