SAU Community

What Not To Do To Your Ecr33

a turbo timer is used for cooling down the core of the turbo charger so when you switch the car off,the oil inside has less chance of coking up and blocking the bearing feeds.....

Yes, I'm not saying no cooldown period at all is necessary but rather driving close to idle rpm for the last few moments of your drive will cool it quicker than leaving your car in your garage bonnet up. Keep in mind this is a street car and everything I find is only applicable to this situation. This hypothesis is also supported by the fact my auto turbo timer seems to go on forever after turning my car on for about a minute letting it idle in the garage then turning it off.

Marlin: Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if you understand but the structural damage to the rear strut brace is not on the car. I used two bolts and tightened them a bit too much before adjusting the brace itself which made it bend a bit around the bolt before actually tightening am aware there is not meant to be any tension along the strut brace in normal position - there wasn't any, no creaks no nothing it was tight enough to stop the thing from rattling - the bending around the bolts made me have to tighten it excessively to make up for that slack. Either way, if you believe it's too tight - I'll hand tighten it next time.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need some decent tools and some experience, it seems your doing more damage than good...

so far, youve ruined a piece of perspex for no gain as far as I can tell, and it looks pretty crap

you have bent the strut brace mount metal

then you rounded off the nut holding your front upright onto the tower

perhaps start by washing the car and give it a polish and measure the before and after reflections (shinyness and effectiveness of the washing process) of your car.

surely nothing can go wrong in that test.

and use a 6 point socket to undo tight nuts next time....less chances of rounding them as they grab the sides/corners more evenly(i didnt go to uni/do any type of degree/use pythagoras theory or newtons law of physics to work this out ;))

and use a 6 point socket to undo tight nuts next time....less chances of rounding them as they grab the sides/corners more evenly(i didnt go to uni/do any type of degree/use pythagoras theory or newtons law of physics to work this out ;))

Otherwise known as impact sockets but should be more common in standard socket sets and also be availabe as ring spanners!

So I decided to jack up the car, I don't know why... But my hydraulic jack didn't lift the car high enough for me to put the stands I have underneath it - so I had to improvise like so...

SDC13336.jpg

:/

I know it looks like everyone is jumping on the band wagon after Marlin's comments, but seriously?

Forget all your plans for the moment, find someone, anyone, with half a clue about working on cars and get them to show you how to use a jack and jack stands safely before you hurt yourself or damage the car further.

At first I thought there was some decent scientific theory in here that was beyond me, but now....... you do realise a strut brace isn't tightened so the whole rear end becomes stiff, its attached to reduce body roll when cornering, not parked. Don't know why you're trying to get a little metal pole to flex the whole steel chassis and wondering why it doesn't move much. also LOL'd hard at this turbo timer theory of yours.

:/

I know it looks like everyone is jumping on the band wagon after Marlin's comments, but seriously?

Forget all your plans for the moment, find someone, anyone, with half a clue about working on cars and get them to show you how to use a jack and jack stands safely before you hurt yourself or damage the car further.

I'm not trying to shoot the guy down, he's obviously keen. But, I've been flabbergasted all weekend after first reading this, and thought he actually was trying to take the piss but was kind of failing. Them I saw he was actually pretty serious, and was going to end up wrecking what looks to be a fairly neat 33.

Like I and you have said, and with all due respect to the OP, I think it wise to just move away before it ends in tears.

I am so torn by this thread. Do I keep watching to see a young man learning from his experiences or do I keep watching to see yet another Skyline ruined from an almost child like curiosity. That chassis rail being crushed is really quite disturbing. Rounded nuts, taking weight out of the car for no apparent reason, installing a strut brace and bending things, very worrying. I kinda get where Marlin's coming from. These cars are the XY GT Falcons of the future and just like them Skylines will continue to be abused, crashed and worked on by fools till they are all but a memory, so sad.

But the other side is that it's kind of entertaining to see an experiment where the researcher could conceivably be crushed beneath his experiment. This forum is so full of all the answers you are looking for. It is a bit like a doctor discovering a cure for the clap, writing a book about it then finding out there are 100 books already written on the subject using a cure they found 20 years ago. Research is about reading, listening and learning. Have you ever wandered why most discoveries are found by old people ? It's because they have taken a life time to find knowledge and then take that knowledge one step further.

The light bulb has been discovered and you are trying to invent a light bulb. By the way, removing parts of the car is fine but the spare wheel ? The only discovery you may make is that you will look a little red faced on the side of the road when you get a flat. When you have read every page in this forum, and I think I have, then go forward, discover, but at this time with your mechanical experience read the manual for correct positioning of the jack.

units of tightening measure Nm=Newton meters FTlbs=Foot pounds SPPM=Sphincter pulpertations per minute......the later could also be called "taking 100 or 200(depends on the SPPM your trying to acheive) high speed shutter pictures of the concrete under your arse"

if your on a budget you could buy a great big fu*k off 30mm spanner and when you need a 12mm spanner pack 10 or so 5 cent pieces on the side of the nut.....the larger spanner you need the less 5 cent pieces ;)...... also these bad boys are handy if your trying to fish arse it :D

gallery_2711_155_2.jpg

Edited by ylwgtr2

Lay off guys. I think there are about 6 Skylines in the country that dont have bent chassis rails. I know mine are banged up from hoists and trolley jacks.

I have also rounded shit loads of bolts. And dropped a car off jack stands/trolley jack with only 3 wheels on the car (iw was very , very late and we were all very tired)

He isnt taking on any major works, jacking alloy nuts on a strut bar isnt going to damage the chassis...it may bend/shear a bolt as was the case...

Start slow and research before you spin spanners and GO FOR IT.

But as badharidave said, make sure you are jacking the car correctly and using the stands correctly. My old cheap trolley jack used to drop pretty quick and had to always put wheels under the car at a minimum if I had to get under the car at the track and didnt have stands. Wheels damage underside of car so using the stands of the front of the rear cradle, front tow hooks, castor rods, gearbox cross member or engine cross member is the go. It depends what I am working on as to which point i use for stands

Ok....

You can choose to say thanks.gif and take this as "feedback" OR

You can choose to say ban.gifand tell me to get lost.

Either way....I am going to say a few things...............

First up....congrats on owning a skyline....congrats on finishing your exams....congrats on possessing your current enthusiasm levels and obvious zeal for "D.I.Y" projects...attitude is half the battle won.

I can relate to your desire to do things yourself....experiment....explore..discover etc etc....read my build thread and you will find that I too am a discoverer albeit a more "cautious one" !!

However it is really easy to get carried away and go overboard....you think your doing really well...but a little knowledge is an extremely dangerous thing. This forum is amazing...there are lots of fairly knowledgeable people on here and if you learn to siphon through the plethora of "free advice" and back it up with constructive and careful research you will find that there is a lot of things to learn. There will always be haters and though some of these are merely venting frustration at your apparent lack of knowledge..(they momentarily forget that they too went through the various stages once upon a time)....some actually help by pointing you in the right direction.

Without making this a huge lecture fit for a psychology tute.........do this if you want to continue owning a "nice" car ------- RESEARCH stuff carefully before experimenting !!!!!

So yes continue to experiment, explore, discover, practice etc etc.....but do it when you have a rough idea of right from wrong....there have been plenty of "explorers" before you..so learn from there mistakes instead of being a candidate to "learn from".

Anyone else love the irony???...............................the thread is called - "What Not To Do To Your Ecr33" !!

Lay off guys. I think there are about 6 Skylines in the country that dont have bent chassis rails. I know mine are banged up from hoists and trolley jacks.

I have also rounded shit loads of bolts.Stood on motorbike fairings,stolen screwdrivers,broken unobtainable mazda rx3 gt parcel shelves,set fire to cars And dropped a car off jack stands/trolley jack with only 3 wheels on the car (iw was very , very late and we were all very tired)

He isnt taking on any major works, jacking alloy nuts on a strut bar isnt going to damage the chassis...it may bend/shear a bolt as was the case...

Start slow and research before you spin spanners and GO FOR IT.

But as badharidave said, make sure you are jacking the car correctly and using the stands correctly. My old cheap trolley jack used to drop pretty quick and had to always put wheels under the car at a minimum if I had to get under the car at the track and didnt have stands. Wheels damage underside of car so using the stands of the front of the rear cradle, front tow hooks, castor rods, gearbox cross member or engine cross member is the go. It depends what I am working on as to which point i use for stands

there.....fixed :thumbsup: