SAU Community

'03 350Gt, Cig Lighter Has No Power But Still Heats Up?

Haino

Hey guys,

when i had the car inspected the report came back that the cig lighter didnt work, I have one of those HD recording cameras so I can record the cruise events and such without having to get out the iPhone, when i plug the camera in to the cig lighter socket it doesnt work, although when i use the cig lighter as a cig lighter it burns my hand -_-

Does this mean it is getting power? or is the power seperate to the cig lighter part?

when i bought the car it came with ipod connectivity which connected through the center console, the previous owner put that in, its good but I was thinking could he have taken the power away from the cig lighter and used it for the ipod connector?

How do i fix it? get another power cable and try to adapt it to the orig cable orrrrr?

cheers guys,

Im no electrician but if your cig lighter gets hot then it must have power going to it. Unless you have a very small man in there rubbing two sticks together. Possibly the cig lighter is not producing enough power for the camera to work.

As others have said, isolate it by trying in another car/try a different charger in yours.

If another charger works in your car than your camera charger is faulty.. Usually the end of the charger unscrews off to reveal the fuse which may have blown..

If its heating up, its getting power. :)