SAU Community

Do You Guys Have Insulation Under Gearboot?

Jap_Muscle

Hi Guys,

Over the past few months my car has suffered from a extremely annoying situation where the car cabin starts to heat up alot and more then often, forces me to blast the AC on to have it bareable.

Ive double checked its not my heater that is stuck on or anything like that. It seems the source of the heat is coming from under the gear boot. I pulled it apart and this is what i see.

img0742ks.th.jpg

About 8months back i had my mech install a Short shifter, however im not quite sure but i recall there being insulation around the boot. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Jap_Muscle

Hi Guys,

Over the past few months my car has suffered from a extremely annoying situation where the car cabin starts to heat up alot and more then often, forces me to blast the AC on to have it bareable.

Ive double checked its not my heater that is stuck on or anything like that. It seems the source of the heat is coming from under the gear boot. I pulled it apart and this is what i see.

img0742ks.th.jpg

About 8months back i had my mech install a Short shifter, however im not quite sure but i recall there being insulation around the boot. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I've got a small piece of insulation material that sits in there.

the top of the boot isnt holding onto the shifter, so there is an air gap letting hot air up through there. I made my own short shifter and just pulled the boot down a bit and cable tied the boot tight against the shifter (used 2 cable ties actually)

I had a second boot underneath the one you can see in that picture but it was pulling my shifter out of first (not sure why...) so I just got rid of it. I have no heat issues at all from that area of the car. Bit noisey, but then again I do have polyurethene bushes on the gearbox and diff now

the top of the boot isnt holding onto the shifter, so there is an air gap letting hot air up through there. I made my own short shifter and just pulled the boot down a bit and cable tied the boot tight against the shifter (used 2 cable ties actually)

I had a second boot underneath the one you can see in that picture but it was pulling my shifter out of first (not sure why...) so I just got rid of it. I have no heat issues at all from that area of the car. Bit noisey, but then again I do have polyurethene bushes on the gearbox and diff now

Thanks for that mate, ill try tightening it up. hopefully that fixes it.