SAU Community

Rb26 Vs Rb25 Clutch Fans

The clutch fan is not in my car's future. I'm sticking to electric fans. My reason is this: 1) Clutch fan is big and I don't have much bay room 2) IMO,properly configured thermo fans can performance equally as good 3) Clutch fans don't cool the fluid in the radiator as well as a pusher fan attached directly on a radiator would 4) Small response gains from electric fans are worth it even though my electrical system (alternator) takes a hit 5) My Haltech can control the electric fans

I'm sure there's a list of PROs to the clutch fan but the above list really matches my needs.

cheers.gif

do you have a proper shroud, if your using a thermo then a full shroud is a must to get ant sort of efficiency from it.

No, I do not. I haven't started purchasing anything ATM. I'm listening if you got info to pass regarding shrouds.

you may find the rad core is not capable of decent air flow hence poor cooling.

its about effiencey.

N1 pump has larger fins and backing plate to cut down on cavitation, turbulence within pump housing,

If your hanging high rev's frequently then, maybe pulley size can be changed to slow pump a bit and give the water a chance to cool, before it's returned to engine from rad.

lots can be done, speak with a pro about it, fix should = reliability.

you may find the rad core is not capable of decent air flow hence poor cooling.

its about effiencey.

N1 pump has larger fins and backing plate to cut down on cavitation, turbulence within pump housing,

If your hanging high rev's frequently then, maybe pulley size can be changed to slow pump a bit and give the water a chance to cool, before it's returned to engine from rad.

lots can be done, speak with a pro about it, fix should = reliability.

I have an after market radiator. Not the best but it works. I'm also rocking the stock RB26 water pump. No issue as of yet with it. I don't I'm fine on the coolant side but I do need to improve my fan configuration.

No, I do not. I haven't started purchasing anything ATM. I'm listening if you got info to pass regarding shrouds.

If you just bolt the thermo onto the rad your pretty much only cooling that circle where the fan is, if you have a full shroud (like the factory one) you will be drawing air through most of the surface area of the radiator which is a lot mor efficient than just one section, there is dual and single setups on ebay.

^^

My current setup is a puller fan cooling the engine (replaced the clutch fan). The shop the previous owner used wired the puller fan off the A/C -overheat - fan's rely in the fuse box and set it to turn on with the ignition. I only have 1 fan that works and its ALWAYS on.

I will still have that same puller fan for my future setup but I will add some sort of shroud to it and direct it towards the engine. I'm planning on removing the condenser and installing a brand new pusher fan in place of the old A/C fan. That brand new pusher fan will be hugging the radiator and I want to control both fans via the temperature sensor and my Haltech ECU. I eventually plan on getting air panels attached on the sides of the radiator and intercooler to direct air towards the IC and radiator.

Edited by Bigalow

I ditched my aircon and had two 11" thermos on the front of the radiator (no shroud) but retained the engine fan and shroud.

I was thinking of having the same exact configuration as you, bud. I decided to do the setup I previously posted about. If for some reason my tuner or my car tells me that the clutch fan is necessary again then I will do the 3 fan setup like you: 1 clutch fan and two pusher fans in the front.

cheers.gif (fosters)

uestion about Shrouds:

Do I want a big shroud engulfing the radiator (such as stock) or is the shroud that comes with the thermo fan enough?

(STOCK GTT)

DSC_9426.jpg

VS

(I have something similar to this fan. Notice the shroud surrounding the fan)

143.jpg

ideally a shroud covering the whole radiator so the fan can pull air from the whole core and niot just the area the fan sits

Exactly what I was thinking but I wanted to confirm with ya'll first. Do you know (or anyone reading) know if the ER34 fan-shroud combo is compatible with another Nissan (i.e. R32 GTR, 300ZX, etc)? I'm asking so I can have more search options.