SAU Community

Dyno Tune For Skyline R33 Gts-T S2

R33gtstEL

Hi, Just wondering what is involved in a dyno tune as i was reccommend to get it done and the cost and benefits. If anyone could give me any info thatd me much appriciated

Thanks Elijah

Yer it does.. So does that mean I should or shouldn't get the dyno tune? Thanks

You need an aftermarket ECU to get a tune (unless you do a custom rom, but that sort of sucks). If you haven't changed anything on the car since the last tune was done, it might be a waste of time, however.

What ECU is it?

im not so sure about skylines, but with evos you can do a full tune with their factory ecu.

Theres always a good reason for a tune :) and generally theres always going to be some improvement made. how much improvement and what and the cost is what you need to weigh up.... Is it running quite bad? usually you can tell when its time for a tune.

Whats involved?? quite a lot of things actually but the basics are air fuel ratios, engine timing and boost. These things among others need to be set safe or be at safe levels or over time or a short time your engine will break or go boom. basically lol

The cost varies a bit depending on- Tuners pricing, Dyno time, alterations made during process and dyno type.

Ive done some research into getting a tune, as im also getting ready for a big day on the dyno, 2 days i think actually. The mechanic said it will be a day to alter the engine components like cams and fuel etc and full tune, then next day for cold start and road setup check. the price for the dyno tune alone is just under $1000 (not including installing cams and any mechanical work involved)

$900 to $1200 is a pretty fair range to expect for a tune.

One thing to note, a good tuner will only do very small alterations at the most. 9 times out of 10 they will save the setup, then wipe the whole ECU and start from scratch because they can never trust the current tune.

However you could also do a Dyno run or Power run.. (I just did one recently) it will give you power figures obviously, and will also give the tuner an indication on how your cars running and then he can tell you if he can make more power or if its running bad and needs re tuning etc etc.

only takes around 30 mins for a roller dyno and costs around the $100 - $150 mark

this is only based on my experiences over a few years in the scene.

im not so sure about skylines, but with evos you can do a full tune with their factory ecu.

Theres always a good reason for a tune :) and generally theres always going to be some improvement made. how much improvement and what and the cost is what you need to weigh up.... Is it running quite bad? usually you can tell when its time for a tune.

Whats involved?? quite a lot of things actually but the basics are air fuel ratios, engine timing and boost. These things among others need to be set safe or be at safe levels or over time or a short time your engine will break or go boom. basically lol

The cost varies a bit depending on- Tuners pricing, Dyno time, alterations made during process and dyno type.

Ive done some research into getting a tune, as im also getting ready for a big day on the dyno, 2 days i think actually. The mechanic said it will be a day to alter the engine components like cams and fuel etc and full tune, then next day for cold start and road setup check. the price for the dyno tune alone is just under $1000 (not including installing cams and any mechanical work involved)

$900 to $1200 is a pretty fair range to expect for a tune.

One thing to note, a good tuner will only do very small alterations at the most. 9 times out of 10 they will save the setup, then wipe the whole ECU and start from scratch because they can never trust the current tune.

However you could also do a Dyno run or Power run.. (I just did one recently) it will give you power figures obviously, and will also give the tuner an indication on how your cars running and then he can tell you if he can make more power or if its running bad and needs re tuning etc etc.

only takes around 30 mins for a roller dyno and costs around the $100 - $150 mark

this is only based on my experiences over a few years in the scene.

skyline ecu's can't be tuned that easily. r32 and some r34 ecus can have a daughter board installed which can be tuned. (r33's have to use a z32 ecu or a r32 ecu, but will lose the VCT with the r32 ecu).

as for always getting a gain from a tune, if he has an aftermarket ecu and the tune is decent then there won't really be any gains.

as for always getting a gain from a tune, if he has an aftermarket ecu and the tune is decent then there won't really be any gains.

+1. I wouldn't expect any gains.

However, for a new car it's not a bad idea to just do a power run to make sure whoever tuned it previously did a good job of it. Power runs are usually about $100.

Ok thanks for all the information about it and yer I'll just to a power run I think to see what he reckons I think it's going good but I just bought the car a week ago and just want to make sure it's all good.. So yer I'll get a power run and if it needs a full tune might do that but it's pretty pricy..

Thanks again

just ask around first, if hes a dodgy tuner he may say it needs one in order to get business ( i hope there arnt many around like that) also buy going to a top rated tuner that knows there stuff you know you are getting a reliable answer.

The dyno sheet can say its safe and all honkey dory but the tuner could also say it has more potential.

Like my one, its safe as houses, and has had a full tune a year or so ago by previous owner. But a new fuel pump its running a bit rich, and the tuner/s said it can and should be making a bit to a lot more from the power run.

As im new to Melbourne ive read a bit on the these forums and Ben at race pace is the man to see. thats where im going for my tune.

just ask around first, if hes a dodgy tuner he may say it needs one in order to get business ( i hope there arnt many around like that) also buy going to a top rated tuner that knows there stuff you know you are getting a reliable answer.

The dyno sheet can say its safe and all honkey dory but the tuner could also say it has more potential.

Like my one, its safe as houses, and has had a full tune a year or so ago by previous owner. But a new fuel pump its running a bit rich, and the tuner/s said it can and should be making a bit to a lot more from the power run.

As im new to Melbourne ive read a bit on the these forums and Ben at race pace is the man to see. thats where im going for my tune.

DVS JEZ has tuned plenty of Skylines with plenty of good results.

DVS JEZ has tuned plenty of Skylines with plenty of good results.

Helpful bloke too, has helped me out on a number of occasions and I'm not even in the same state as him. If I was in the same state, I know who would be tuning my car... thumbsup.gif