SAU Community

Heaviest Training Load

iamhe77

So obviously there are a quite a few in here that have been training for a while, but I am curious as to whether you guys are training with your heaviest exercise load or did you exercise much more in the past than you do now?

Either way, what did you do or do you do when you are exercising the most?

haha, no, not the heaviest weight lifted.

hmm... most intensive training program?

When it was implemented (in the past or doing it now?) and what it is?

Apologies for the cryptic language.

Edited by iamhe77

I like Lamp

Congrats, now maybe you can make like one, stand in the corner and STFU.

Cardio - age 17 to 18, SANFL (football) training

Weights - currently 5days a week, however only 7 weeks into it.

How often did you train for the footy Brendan? I'd imagine you lifted weights as well during that time, yes?

I used to do weights 5 mornings a week and 3 nights kickboxing.

I stopped doing weights and started doing MMA as well as kickboxing When I started coping with that I started weights again 2 nights a week.

The last year due to injures Im only managing to do kickboxing but trying to get back to MMA and weights.

Next goal for me atm is Tuff Mudder, after that the fighting will get a bit more serious

Thanks Andrew, were your injuries associated with the type of training or something else?

Good luck with Tuff Mudder :) Might have kickstarted a more serious routine if I had have heard about it earlier confused.gif

Yeah just from training. I cracked my ribs twice last year as well as a few other little things

I only herd about TM about a month ago. The fighters class where going to do it but there is a show on the 1st April so most of them will be in that. So ive ended up joining in with a couple of girls that train in the intermediate/beginners class and their friends. Not really expecting it to push my limit (with the group im with) but still looking forward to it.

How often did you train for the footy Brendan? I'd imagine you lifted weights as well during that time, yes?

Yeah I did a lot of home weights, then gym sessions 2-3x a week after footy training. Trained 5 nights a week and played 2-3 games a weekend. All with ruined knees that dislocated numerous times daily, bone-on-bone. Got to the stage where I guess I overdid it for too long resulting in numerous surgeries. Hindsight is great, but at the time all I wanted was to reach my goal of 1 1st18 Sanfl game.

I'm guessing you played ruck lol.

LOL, yeah thats it. Ruck, moving to Centre-half forward and full forward during quarters.

Felt I would have been best suited to CHB as a rebounding defender setting up play on the counter attack / forward-press spoiler, but too many coaches are set in their ways...... Enjoyed ruck & chf tho. Nothing better than taking the pack mark outisde 50 & bombing it through ;) closely followed by tapping it out of the ruck down the throat of my onballer who then burst through the congestion & goaled on the run. Fun times, pity it didnt last long

Farkin coaches...yeah I was in a real short team in my social footy league...so at only 6'3 they wanted me to play ruck, which I was shit at anyway, and when I played in centre half forward they had me up against guys who were 7' and 130kg. Kind of hurts when they land on your foot...

Training was much more in cardio in my 20's.

At 30 I did some very heavy training / power lifting in conjunction with plyometrics and sprints (struggled with technique). Though the weights sessions were very short , the weights were stupidly heavy. 235kg on the bar (whatever that weighs) for squats 6 reps. 520kgs on hack squat machine. 520kg donkey calf machine. 740kg leg presses. In terms of training load. The heavy weights load the hell out of your heart in terms of blood pressure when lifting.

Started as an idea of getting into sprinting (100m) for a laugh but, due to life work and family (4 kids) it derailed.

tried getting back into weights a year or so back. Put on lots of muscle and lots of strength and then got sick lost a fair whack of weight and stopped, habit broken.

At almost 40 , Trying to back into it at the moment (3 weeks ago) with a couple of really small workouts a week (2-3 per week) to see if I can get back into the habit.

Interesting thing is that for almost 10 yrs I still looked like I worked out (even though I was doing nothing) based on the weight training I did back in the day and not too much beer and chips in the diet.