SAU Community

Aftermarket Headlights

Jayce23

^^ haha too funny - this is similar to what Heretical and I both bought, and have now sent back to be replaced by D2S globes. ^^ How can the listing be for "D2S D2R" when these are 2 separate bulb types?

The D2S is for projectors, which is what our new lights are.

The D2R is for reflectors.

BUT, I have noticed on our headlight boxes it says "D2R" - and it also says this on the headlights themselves.

Then I noticed that the inside the projectors of our headlights is a piece of cardboard (or something) that does the cutoff for us.

So it looks like with these headlights you can use either the D2R or D2S.

Confused yet?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ haha too funny - this is similar to what Heretical and I both bought, and have now sent back to be replaced by D2S globes. ^^ How can the listing be for "D2S D2R" when these are 2 separate bulb types?

The D2S is for projectors, which is what our new lights are.

The D2R is for reflectors.

BUT, I have noticed on our headlight boxes it says "D2R" - and it also says this on the headlights themselves.

Then I noticed that the inside the projectors of our headlights is a piece of cardboard (or something) that does the cutoff for us.

So it looks like with these headlights you can use either the D2R or D2S.

Confused yet?

Yep definitely confused!!! Can anyone confirm (sorry to ask again) what to buy for high/low beam?

Yep definitely confused!!! Can anyone confirm (sorry to ask again) what to buy for high/low beam?

Someone post me a pic of what you projector looks like..

IMG_3292.jpg

Send me a pic of your bulb and ill tell u what it is.

D2R bulb has a black strip on the blub on one side, D2S has no strip at all on the bulb..

Low Beam D2S

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130530352295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1053wt_1399

High Beam H1 12258 (you have a philips standard one already.. but if you want 100% improvement then below bulb is below

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220992691276&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Edited by R6n350GT

There is an extensive thread about these somewhere in the V35 section. Bit of a PITA job to fit including baking your lights to break the seals and open them, much stuffing around to fit the halos (including having to silicone them in = dodgy imho) and horror stories about the place on the net of people baking their lights too long and ruining them, not baking them long enough and damaging the seals when opening them, and the halos falling out of place or not being siliconed in perfectly straight and looking like shite. Not something I am game to do TBH - hence why I bought the aftermarket lights with all of the guesswork taken out. Plus it is fully/easily reversible to switch the lights back if you want later on.

Are you free Saturday morning/lunchtime to help/watch/drink while we fit the headlights to 5 x V35s Matt? Munro might pop around in his R35GTR for a look/help/drink too. It is getting some new toys fitted as we speak and will be making mid-400 awkws by the weekend :)

Eye surgery on 5 V35s sounds awesome haha, but I don't think I'm gonna show up since my baby isn't getting the surgery :( Whereabouts are you guys located? I'm in North-West Sydney

Thanks for the links, is there anywhere to get these in Australia?

Not without paying 2x the price.

Also can someone take a pic b4 u put headlights in car of the low beam projector, as in taking a pic where the hole is for the bulb ???

P.S that eye "surgery" was my DIY, its in my Servicing Sticky thread ;)

Edited by R6n350GT

Hey yall, if anyone can help me make sense of something.

When I brought my car and took out the stock headlights, I found the HID igniter module attached beneath the headlights, but I can not find the harness and wiring to connect it. Does all of our cars come with that module, even if the HID options weren't installed on it? Wouldn't make sense for the manufacturer to installed the module if it wasn't going to used right? I assume that it did have the HID options installed, but compliance took them out and that's why I can't find the harness and wiring.

I just wanna make sure before I install the new headlights with the halogens and realise I need to inspect deeper for the harness and wiring been tucked away somewhere. I can't be bothered taking apart the front bar and headlights again to do this and also can't be bothered installing a HID kit, if the the harness and wiring are gone...

I would presume that compliance pulled out the HID globe and wiring and just left the igniter there rather than have to seal up a big hole it leaves in the bottom of the light if you remove it.

YAY! It's done, headlights installed! Damn unplugging the headlights were a bitch! Dreadnought it took me 4 hours this time, took a while to unplugged the harness from the old headlights. Annoying with the tight space and undoing the bolts of the front bar underneath the headlights, holding the plastic wheel guard back.

How y'all doing with the install?

I would presume that compliance pulled out the HID globe and wiring and just left the igniter there rather than have to seal up a big hole it leaves in the bottom of the light if you remove it.

I'm thinking the same too... :(

I opened up the old headlights and the wiring from the igniter has been cut and I saw on the new headlights that it had an additional harness, I tried to see if it was for the igniter and it is, fits perfectly. But I left it disconnected as I'm not good and confident enough at wiring, so I didn't bother trying to wire up igniter to the new headlights.

Edited by 81gSKy

Just a quick update for all of the guys doing this install. Today 4 of us got together in Adelaide to do this install. Looks pretty easy thanks to Nightcrawler showing us how. 2 of the cars could not be done because we had halogens & our cars were missing the HID ignitor cable. Best to check yours out before trying this. Would anyone know where we could get these cables? Locally would be best if available.

YAY! It's done, headlights installed! Damn unplugging the headlights were a bitch! Dreadnought it took me 4 hours this time, took a while to unplugged the harness from the old headlights. Annoying with the tight space and undoing the bolts of the front bar underneath the headlights, holding the plastic wheel guard back.

How y'all doing with the install?

I'm thinking the same too... :(

I opened up the old headlights and the wiring from the igniter has been cut and I saw on the new headlights that it had an additional harness, I tried to see if it was for the igniter and it is, fits perfectly. But I left it disconnected as I'm not good and confident enough at wiring, so I didn't bother trying to wire up igniter to the new headlights.

4 hours for 1 car? We effectively did 3 cars in under 4 hours, and that included about half an hour of calling around wrecking yards/workshops to try to find some igniter cables .... but yes undoing the headlight hardness is a real pita - until you realise that you just unbolt the headlight and pull the headlight with all your strength forwards, and the hardness will just pop off with enough force. Worked a charm for all of our cars :)

4 hours for 1 car? We effectively did 3 cars in under 4 hours, and that included about half an hour of calling around wrecking yards/workshops to try to find some igniter cables .... but yes undoing the headlight hardness is a real pita - until you realise that you just unbolt the headlight and pull the headlight with all your strength forwards, and the hardness will just pop off with enough force. Worked a charm for all of our cars :)

Can you confirm if the additional harness is suppose to be connected to the igniter? Also, I'm wondering what that small black box with the double sided tape on it is?

took me about 1.5 hours by myself in the near dark... its easy the hardest part was defiantly unplugging the harness, as the cable was real short as it had been cut and re wired before

Can you confirm if the additional harness is suppose to be connected to the igniter? Also, I'm wondering what that small black box with the double sided tape on it is?

harness connects to the ballast which sits in the hole in the headlight and the the other end of harness plugs onto your D2S bulb. Other thing u need is the ground cable which goes from the projector housing and plugs onto the spade connector on the D2S connector plug.. i will take a pic of the whole setup if some one will return the favour and take one picture for me so i can see your guys RHD cutoff lens. take a pic as if you are looking into where the bulb goes in.. Can someone do this before you all install you headlights???

The harness you need is like this:

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1372wt_1378

I am going to see if he can get hold of any import workshops in Qld that comply V35s and see if they keep the cables or throw them out, as 2 Adelaide guys need them and I am sure others will realise too that they need them. Otherwise we can figure out how many we need and do a mini-group buy on them from the USA Ebay link above. That same guy has the ballast, but they are $100 each. Dog with Bone needs these too sadly.

The black box that double sided tapes to the new lights is the igniter/control module for the Angel Eyes in your lights.

R6n I will take a photo for you today before I chuck my other light in.

I have these lights already..

They come wired so it's a direct plug and play exercise.. The Halos and LEDs come on if you move the stalk to parkers.. They also come on if the lights are set to auto and the headlights come on.. If you want to have the halos/leds always on you will need to cut and connect to something like accessories (so they are always on when the car is on) They DO NOT come with any bare wires.. It is all plug and play if you have the stock HID ballasts/globes and igniters.

The current harness on your factory lights are not used at all.. as long as you have the original unhacked car headlight wiring harness (there is no need for this to be modified by compliancing etc so it should be intact and untouched)

The indicator bulb that comes with the lights is a dual filament bulb.. so its always on (USA style) You can buy a new bulb or just remove the connectors to the extra filament (takes 10 seconds to remove)

Lastly $140 to install these lights is a joke.. it took me maybe just over an hour to do both lights.. I am not a mechanic with access to a hoist.. I did it on my garage floor laying on cardboard with no jacking up involved

If you want new Bulbs

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2346wt_1163

I'm very happy with them.. Don't go above 6000k though

I'm trying to convert the dual filament bulb to single filament bulb. Do you know which wire I should remove/cut? There are 3 wires connecting to the bulb - 2 green and 1 black.