SAU Community

New M35 Owner In Adelaide!

Glitch

What kind of rear bar is that?Point is, it's not stock, might be aero, but what I'm getting at is that is the bar could have just been bought on yahoo auction and fitted, not colour matched. So don't stress about it.

Welcome to the community mate.cheers.gif

Good point. Looks like my Aero bar, so that'd be my guess.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reply email from last night:

"...I just got off the phone to the agent. He checked the car out today when I first emailed him and couldn't tell at all, but as it became a little overcast he could see a slight difference in colour. He says it it quite common for strong pearled paint to appear different from various angles. The change in lines of the car between the rear panel and rear bumper can exaggerate this. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for the paint to age slightly different on the plastic as opposed to the metal surfaces. The agent has reconfirmed no accident damage saying the bolts holding the rear bumper on have not been tampered with.

This confirms what I had thought and hoped. We may even be able to improve upon the finish with a polish once the car arrives. Once you have had a look at the car in the flesh yourself, let me know what you think."

All good, then. I wasn't panicking but certainly curious as to the difference in colour. Like Troy said, though, once I see car in the "flesh" I'll be able to judge it all for myself.

I have an unrelated question; How many are running a custom exhaust on their M35? I'm wondering whether to go a full turbo back kit from AM Performance or whether to get a Dump+Cat and get a cat-back exhaust from Japan.

Any ideas?

The cost of each would be in the same ball park but I'm thinking that the cost of postage from Japan will make it the more expensive option...

The exhaust is one of the first mods done on these car... particularly the dump pipe as the stock one holds to much heat near the turbo and decreases the life of the turbo.

I don't think there are any dump pipes available ex JAPAN. You would be looking at a from the dump back from Japan.

Have a look at Scotts dump design. It is a great piece of work.

Cheers

Andy

I wouldnt worry about the Jap postage, both will cost similar.

My vote would obviously be AM Performance. Drive it in there, and Andrew will take care of it. Also means if it isn't exactly what you want you can get it tailored.

I did the whole thing in one go, but I am curious what kind of gains you'd get doing just the dump pipe.

Definitely get a good dump pipe (I can attest to Scott's units).

A custom 3" front pipe with high flowing cat (eBay Bokka cats are pretty good ;)) won't be difficult nor expensive to get made up.

Personally, I'd go with Jap cat-back. Can't fault them... especially the Fujitsubo and Nismo units which flow very well, give a fantastic note and are both under 89dB.

also another note to the bumper, ive seen a few that have a 'touchup' to cover the scratches in the bumper that you get over they years of driving, mine a slightly off.. hard to tell unless you really look at it.

also i can atest to it being a bitch to colour match, the shop that did mine got it right the 3rd attempt :S not accepting a off colour.

cool, thanks for the opinions guys but it certainly doesn't make the decision any easier lol. Does Scott have F/S page with his Dump pipe or is it a matter of PM-ing him and getting the details? I know that he threw up some pics of his design a while back but I'm having some trouble finding it. I'll keep searching though, that way I might be able to compare the AMPerformance one with his.

Regarding the colour matching, I'd be exactly the same as I've refused to take a car as the repairer firstly didnt get the colour right, then didnt blend the repair in properly and on the third time around didnt buff the orange peel out of the clear coat. Needless to say they were rather happy to see the back of me, lol.

Umm... can someone advise what the difference is between these two and why one would be more expensive over the other? is it just a matter of different vendors with different prices or is there an actual difference in the product they offer?

Exhaust 1

Exhaust 2

Cheers fellas

cool, thanks for the opinions guys but it certainly doesn't make the decision any easier lol. Does Scott have F/S page with his Dump pipe or is it a matter of PM-ing him and getting the details? I know that he threw up some pics of his design a while back but I'm having some trouble finding it. I'll keep searching though, that way I might be able to compare the AMPerformance one with his.

I can send you some more pics if you like, my dump is a 3.5 inch bellmouth while the AM performance one is a split style, couldnt be further apart in design. I dont think anyone has pushed the limits of this split style to see their flow rate yet. Either way, unless you can get here with the car you will need to buy the front pipe off him as I can only supply the dump interstate at the moment.

My dump will arrive wrapped in ceramic heat wrap, includes the o2 bung, lower gasket and stainless bolts. I can also supply stainless studs with copper nuts to replace the old ones if you need them. PM me if youre interested. :thumbsup:

post-63525-0-76642800-1329621400_thumb.jpg

I can send you some more pics if you like, my dump is a 3.5 inch bellmouth while the AM performance one is a split style, couldnt be further apart in design. I dont think anyone has pushed the limits of this split style to see their flow rate yet. Either way, unless you can get here with the car you will need to buy the front pipe off him as I can only supply the dump interstate at the moment.

My dump will arrive wrapped in ceramic heat wrap, includes the o2 bung, lower gasket and stainless bolts. I can also supply stainless studs with copper nuts to replace the old ones if you need them. PM me if youre interested. :thumbsup:

Pm Sent, thanks Scott! =)

I dont think anyone has pushed the limits of this split style to see their flow rate yet.

yeah yeah yeah, im getting there! :nyaanyaa:

Fuel pump in next weekend, then to decide whether to tune as is, or upgrade injectors. Will need to start considering the turbo soon I think...

Does your dump fit the standard mounting points Scott? Can someone order your dump, Andrews mid pipe and a jap cat back?

yeah yeah yeah, im getting there! :nyaanyaa:

Fuel pump in next weekend, then to decide whether to tune as is, or upgrade injectors. Will need to start considering the turbo soon I think...

Does your dump fit the standard mounting points Scott? Can someone order your dump, Andrews mid pipe and a jap cat back?

Slack mate. :nyaanyaa: Upgrade to 1000's for sure, I should have gone the 2000's looking back as im maxing mine with the current turbo. (about to upgrade to the GTX3076 >_< )

Yeh, my dump fits all the stock gear, or I can fit a standard 3 inch flange if the customer wants to get a local exhaust place to make the front pipe.

Is the 3076 externally the same size as what you've got? You might have a hard time fitting it in...

Was thinking I only needed to do injectors if I was going E85, and sticking will good old reliable 98 for now.

When Andrew was designing his stuff, I made him design it to bolt to the factory mount points so that if someone wanted your dump, and a Jap exhaust, it'd all fit. Funnily enough when I put out the EOI on the AM group buy, most people wanted mid pipes!

That's because the bellmouth is better, lol ?

Also it's strange that Nissan used a weird style of flange at the dump to front pipe joint. Don't understand why they went with a wider bolt pattern on that flange to then use a standard one at the front pipe to cat back.

Edited by slippylotion

That's because the bellmouth is better, lol

We've opened that can of worms before, and I don't believe anyone has ever been able to prove either way?

Spoke to Andrew about it, and it sounds like a good Bellmouth beats a crap split, and vice versa.

He has found merging the gases later works better - and I can't argue with him. Power and boost increases I saw on the dyno backs him up.

I think in reality any a/market dump pipe will give you an increase over the factory unit. One factor is that the bellmouth will fit ALL a/market turbo upgrades running the same flange pattern.

But each worm to their own. ?

Edited by slippylotion