SAU Community

New M35 Owner In Adelaide!

Glitch

Makes perfect sense, but did you notice much of a difference when you did the cat back later?

Thats what I'm wondering. Seeing the difference between OEM and after market dump pipe and mid pipe, I know they'd make a huge difference on their own. Just curious what a cat back adds.

Mine picked up more power after the 3" Mid pipe, 100 cell cat and Legalis cat back were fitted. I don't know how much can be attributed to the larger diameter pipework, and mine also had a horrible compliance cat.

I'd say there's definitely gains to be had when upgrading from the OEM system; that huge, heavy mid muffler would have to be a fairly restrictive piece.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger all im guessing, I ran 230kw through a 2.5 system with the stock turbo. It allows you to shoot higher thats all.

Thats what I figured. Cheers.

Nick, already knew about the midpipe - I'd recommend anyone upgrade their midpipe. Mine is heaps better now that it has no muffler and just a high flow cat :banana:

Brilliant responses from all and certainly a good idea to buy dump and mid locally and save for the Legalis. Suppose there's no harm in getting the pieces before the car's set sail, do you reckon that the Compliance shop will assist in fitting the pieces after compliance has been done or would it be likely that they'd prefer to see the car gone so the next one can be done?

I'm starting to feel a little impatient at the lack, of what seems to be, progress in getting the Stag on this side of the ditch. For those that imported their own, what was the wait time before you saw your pride and joys in the driveway?

From the time we bought ours at auction it took 4 weeks to arrive in Adelaide. Can't remember how long compliance took though.

The day after we payed for the car I ordered my Work XSA rims and then another week later had a new set of tanabe coilovers sitting here waiting plus a few other small things.

I say buy all the bits you want to fit up as soon as you get the car, then you can sit back at look at them and dream of what will be! Atleast that's what I did ?

Edited by slippylotion

Brilliant responses from all and certainly a good idea to buy dump and mid locally and save for the Legalis. Suppose there's no harm in getting the pieces before the car's set sail, do you reckon that the Compliance shop will assist in fitting the pieces after compliance has been done or would it be likely that they'd prefer to see the car gone so the next one can be done?

I'm starting to feel a little impatient at the lack, of what seems to be, progress in getting the Stag on this side of the ditch. For those that imported their own, what was the wait time before you saw your pride and joys in the driveway?

Mate, I've just recently gone through the import process and am now getting a few mods. I think it was 3 months before I took took hold of it. It didn't leave port for 2 to 3 weeks. You really shouldn't have any time expectations, it'll only drive you mad.

A few thing to be aware of:

*it's likely only going to come with one key;

*be careful of where its complied, compliance shop failed to do the basics with mine, in fact he only did the paperwork and didn't changed the oil filter and air filter amongst other things. I've just changed the airfilter and its made a significant difference to fuel economy

What I'm doing at the moment:

*Putting in Scotty's dumps on Saturday. My dad has more welding DLi tickets than you can poke a stick at and was a Tafe Teacher in welding for 20 years and he said it was of good quality, though he could tell it wasn't fabricated by a qualified welder.

* Putting in an ipod connector so that I can keep the original facade without having to shove some hideous shiny flashy cd player.

* New alarm and immoboliser ($100 off ebay)

* Frequency expander (you won't get a lot of fm stations without it).

In relation to your cat-back, import monster have Blitz NUR Touring catbacks for $950 (delivered) which are probably the quietest but they have a huge tip.

Hope this helps.

I'd spend a bit more than that on an alarm and immobiliser... remember it has to be Australian Standards approved or you'll be in trouble with the insurance if the car gets stolen...

I thought an imobiliser had to be done as part of compliance as well... I know it was on my car same with the freqency expander.

With the compliance workshops, there is also the double edgded sword...

If they do it properly, they replace all the fluids, change the brakes, rip out your Xenons, cut up your exhaust to fix a new cat, fit the cheapest tyres they can find etc...

With my R33 it was less of an issue.. no Xenons, cat is a bolt in, nice cheap tyres on 16" rims..

With my M35, was really glad they were half hearted in some areas but official in others... Xenons were stil there, as was the stock front pipe and cats, not like Cam's Frankenexhaust.. They had changed the cabin filter, engine oil and brake pads, but not the air filter or the quality Japanese 18" tyres. Seat belt tethers were really well installed, which is important given the two child seats in the car..

I bought both my cars from the places that actually did the compliance. That did give me a bit of faith as well as access to parts when I needed them, during the first 3 month warrantys, new speedo for the R33, tie rod end on the M35, with no questions or hassle.

The reallity is, that once you get that car parked out the front of the house... You don't care any more... It's there and it's yours...

I'd spend a bit more than that on an alarm and immobiliser... remember it has to be Australian Standards approved or you'll be in trouble with the insurance if the car gets stolen...

My insurance company said the same thing "it has to be fitted with an Australian Standard Approved Alarm" and so I said "can you please provide a list of these." Then silence. They couldn't produce a list and did say "there was no list." Indeed they couldn't even tell me what constitutes an Australian Standard Alarm (i.e does it need to come with a rotwheeler or automatic launch of nuclear weapons on the offender etc etc).

I reckon it's a bit of a minefield actually because there is a standard (4601 or something) but I can't find the detail in that standard. I would be off to court if they failed to pay up because of this......

Since we are talking about immobilisers, what if it is a factory immobiliser?

Pretty sure that the PM35's have a multipoint, auto arming immobiliser (well mine does at least).

Shannon's seem happy with this, but just wondering if anyone has had experience with Nissan factory immobilisers.

With my M35, was really glad they were half hearted in some areas but official in others... Xenons were stil there, as was the stock front pipe and cats, not like Cam's Frankenexhaust.. They had changed the cabin filter, engine oil and brake pads, but not the air filter or the quality Japanese 18" tyres. Seat belt tethers were really well installed, which is important given the two child seats in the car..

Half hearted or considering what the buyer would want (Xenon's for example).

Yeah, that Frankenexhaust was shocking and had to be the one they used for the emissions testing!

That was going to be my next question, actually; Does the compliance workshop supply and fit an immobiliser/alarm? I imagine, if I wanted something different, I could supply one at my own cost once the car's in the workshop.

Has anyone had any experience with Remote Starts on these cars? I've seen that some of the Euro cars cant be done due to the security system in place with their keys and whatnot, but I'd imagine it'd be a handy thing to have in a turbo car, so as to warm it up before setting off on whatever journey is planned.

Another question, going back the exhausts, is if there's a difference in volume if the front pipe doesnt have a cat. AM Performance have an option for a Cat-less front pipe which would hit the mark, budget wise, but I dont know what effect, if any, this will have to the volume or performance.

Thanks again for the help so far, guys. Truly a brilliant community to be a part of.

Pretty sure that the PM35's have a multipoint, auto arming immobiliser (well mine does at least).

Shannon's seem happy with this, but just wondering if anyone has had experience with Nissan factory immobilisers.

Yeah, that Frankenexhaust was shocking and had to be the one they used for the emissions testing!

I'd also be interested in the answer to this for an 02 AR-X.

I don't think it would cover you as its not an Australian approved immobiliser as the car isn't an Australian delivered car. Thats what both SGIC and Just cars told me.

The insurance companies will use any out of paying up that they can!

Depends. If its multipoint and auto arming it sounds like it conforms to Australian specs.

That was going to be my next question, actually; Does the compliance workshop supply and fit an immobiliser/alarm? I imagine, if I wanted something different, I could supply one at my own cost once the car's in the workshop.

Has anyone had any experience with Remote Starts on these cars? I've seen that some of the Euro cars cant be done due to the security system in place with their keys and whatnot, but I'd imagine it'd be a handy thing to have in a turbo car, so as to warm it up before setting off on whatever journey is planned.

Mine came in with the Nissan option alarm, and the compliance workshop left it in there. As far as I can tell there was no immobiliser, so when the Nissan system started playing up I had the whole lot ripped out and replaced with an Australian standards system.

AFAIK no one makes an Australian standards approved alarm with remote start. I was thinking the same lines as you originally, but if its not AS, no point in getting it.

Another question, going back the exhausts, is if there's a difference in volume if the front pipe doesnt have a cat. AM Performance have an option for a Cat-less front pipe which would hit the mark, budget wise, but I dont know what effect, if any, this will have to the volume or performance.

Thanks again for the help so far, guys. Truly a brilliant community to be a part of.

Give Andrew from AM a call and ask him, 0401 865 373. He'll know, and he'll be happy to tell you the ins and outs of all the different options. I wouldn't run cat-less though, and from what I hear there's bugger all difference performance wise between cat-less and a decent high flow cat.

Depends. If its multipoint and auto arming it sounds like it conforms to Australian specs.

Mine came in with the Nissan option alarm, and the compliance workshop left it in there. As far as I can tell there was no immobiliser, so when the Nissan system started playing up I had the whole lot ripped out and replaced with an Australian standards system.

AFAIK no one makes an Australian standards approved alarm with remote start. I was thinking the same lines as you originally, but if its not AS, no point in getting it.

Give Andrew from AM a call and ask him, 0401 865 373. He'll know, and he'll be happy to tell you the ins and outs of all the different options. I wouldn't run cat-less though, and from what I hear there's bugger all difference performance wise between cat-less and a decent high flow cat.

Thanks Ryan, I'll try to find a moment to contact him when i get a moment at work. =)

I wouldn't run cat-less though, and from what I hear there's bugger all difference performance wise between cat-less and a decent high flow cat.

Why though? More cost to the exhaust and if you get defected it pretty much has to go back to stock anyway.

Why though? More cost to the exhaust and if you get defected it pretty much has to go back to stock anyway.

A fair point. I suppose I'm looking at it from a cost/budget perspective though not looking far enough to see that if it gets defected I'll be paying more anyway. :down:

Given that cops in SA can defect your car on "suspicion of ADR breach", and then you have to go to Regency to get it inspected - you have to either make it "100% legally modified" the first time, take the risk, or return it to stock.

I always keep the stock parts just in case an Enforcer has had a bad day and decides to take it out on me.