SAU Community

Garrett 2871 In Rb25 Housing

Luke HCR32

Need to do a turbo swap on the RB20 in my 92 R32 Gts-t pretty soon as the amount of oil it is leaking into the intake is becoming unmanagable.

I wasn't planning on doing a real serious upgrade this soon but I have a few dollars to throw at it and figured I may as well push for a 180-200 rwkw build as I'm starting to grow out of the current engine performance and have now gone through 2 stock turbos.

The car was recently dynoed at 143.5 rwkw @ 11 psi with a turbotech controller, bosch 040, front mount, 3 inch exhaust and coil packs on stock turbo and stock dump.

The car will be getting mainly street use for at least the next year so I don't want anything too violent on boost and would also like the setup to be as resoponsive as possible, I would like the potential to go to 200-220 rwkw for track use in the future.

I'm prepared to do injectors, AFM, split dump and a nistune computer at the same time.

Went to adelaide turbo services recently and they recommended the 2871 in rb25 housing for response and 180-220 rwkw power range, does anyone have any experience, thoughts or opinions on such a turbo and the required support modifications?

Need to do a turbo swap on the RB20 in my 92 R32 Gts-t pretty soon as the amount of oil it is leaking into the intake is becoming unmanagable.

I wasn't planning on doing a real serious upgrade this soon but I have a few dollars to throw at it and figured I may as well push for a 180-200 rwkw build as I'm starting to grow out of the current engine performance and have now gone through 2 stock turbos.

The car was recently dynoed at 143.5 rwkw @ 11 psi with a turbotech controller, bosch 040, front mount, 3 inch exhaust and coil packs on stock turbo and stock dump.

The car will be getting mainly street use for at least the next year so I don't want anything too violent on boost and would also like the setup to be as resoponsive as possible, I would like the potential to go to 200-220 rwkw for track use in the future.

I'm prepared to do injectors, AFM, split dump and a nistune computer at the same time.

Went to adelaide turbo services recently and they recommended the 2871 in rb25 housing for response and 180-220 rwkw power range, does anyone have any experience, thoughts or opinions on such a turbo and the required support modifications?

I used to have 2871 highflowed into stock housings on my r33, it was very responsive on a RB25, it would be pulling hard on 2500rpm, so i guess on an rb20 it might be quite good, made 214kw on 17psi ( 56trim )

Might be a good idea to go for the r34housing cause you'll want more power later on.

My opinion is that you need to get some boost in reasonably early if you want it to pull hard without revving to the moon . I believe its more about torque than Kws but thats me . Don't write off the GT2860R units like GT2860RSs and "GT2530" turbos . The 2530 can be an easy way to get a direct fit HKS turbine housing which also works with the GT2871R cartridges - same turbine wheel .

The thing is that you need a turbine housing sized to make the turbo boost where YOU want it to in the engines rev range but often that makes the compressor end want to surege - ifs its early which is good . The fix for that is port shrouded compressor housings and the nous not to go too big in compressor trim size . The HKS GTRS (GT2871R 52T) is a good example to look at because they used a direct fit 0.64 AR turbine housing and a port shrouded compressor housing . From memory HKS also did a KAI version of the GT2530 and I think the difference is the port shrouded compressor housing . Ported comp housings are good things but they are only designed to work with one size and trim of compressor wheel - its about placing the surge slot at the right height to suit the wheels splitter (lower height) blades leading edges .

Anyhow your call , I'd be conservative because I'd prefer have the use of the turbo most of the time rather than occassionally .

A .

I ran the smallest 48 trim GT2871 cartridge with stock housings on an RB25. Excellent response, and best result was 225kW on 12.5psi. No boost control issues. No surge issues.

I did feel that the bigger OP6 turbine housing would have been a worthwhile improvement on top end flow. A HKS turbine housing with RB spec flange would be the best match, if one could be sourced for the right price. Hypergear's housings would be a good next-best option, and brand new. Personally, I would just have Stao machine up a compressor housing too and make up the whole unit.

Should be a great turbo to match up with a RB20.