SAU Community

R33 Gts Secutriy + Remote Start

LayneGXE

Hey guys,

What alarm system would you reccommend i get? I was looking at Viper alarms, but was wandering which ones you'd reccommend etc..

What does the Carjacking VRS system do and why do cheaper produts have it and not the higher end ones??

Confusing.

Anyhow i was looking at this

http://www.viper.com/P-3102V/Viper-1002-1-way-Security-System

I dont believe these types of alarms are ADR Approved / insurance covered as they do not have a minimum 2-3 point immobilisation system... so in the incident that your car gets stolen your insuarnce company will not cover you / pay you out for the loss.

check with your insurance to make sure this type of alarm is accepted.

If your looking for a good viper alarm with remote start check out the Viper 5901 or 5902 they are expensive though!

I believe theres one for sale at a rediculously good price not sure if its still available http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/395421-viper-5901-for-sale

Alarms like the Mongoose M80 is a good option there are a few others around as well they offer 3 point immobilisation as well as a whole lot of other features.

Oh, right so it needs to be 2-3 Point?

Im going to be with JustCar insurance if that helps.

Mongoose M80 comes with a turbo timer, does that mean it'll be illegal? Or non compatible with N/A cars

Im with JustCar and im pretty sure they require a 2-3 point immobiliser alarm. Everyones policy is different so check with them to make sure.

The M80 is ADR approved and the turbo timer is legal and can be ajusted as far as i know. You can install it on any car, if you have an N/A the turbo timmer wire is not connected, everything else works normally.

Edited by DarkRyda

-Black wiring and concealed main plug

-Backup Battery Siren

-Microphone glass break sensor

-impact sensor

They are probably the main ones you would like to have =) there are heaps more features you can get that help protect your vehicle. Thats just my opinion others might think remote start is a priority i prefer protection over "coolness".

Be aware that an alarm is only there to deter thieves away from your car, you install an alarm to make it harder for them to steal it most likely if the thieve knows what he is doing he will have your car started within a few minutes. in my opinion theres no point having an alarm that doesnt protect your car in one way or another. Remote start is really cool but has no protection against thieves so its just something to impress randoms and your friends with which is useless in the long run if something does occur.

Make sure you get a quality installer a great alarm is nothing if installed incorrectly.

Turbo timer is a defect !!! And ghey anyhow so dont take some advice as gospel on the net

Remote start is being sold here with iphone viper gps ( the legallity is not clear it was a major defect in the past ? ) you shouldnt need remote start in oz its wank factor mine isnt hooked up and besides stick shift needs a lot more to override safely

Vipers are great alarms if installed right but without dumping a lot more sensors and immobolizer points just cars wont insure it in the event of theft , you also need the black wire harness feature and the yearly gps cost is about 70 bucks i think The gps feature is about 300 + alone

you can buy your own gps tracker and sim card for much less and no extra fees except top ups on prepaid sim card

They work fantastic and intergrate well with smart phones

Remote shut off and a mutitude of other things you can do with it

Geo fence

Speed alerts

Etc

And buy a club lock even a cheapy is fine your after multiple layers of security to make it to hard to be worth it

And common sense goes along with the alarm , serious lack of it lately !! Dont put it on the street in the hood

Like most cars they can be nicked in 30seconds

But done right even a flat bed wouldnt get it !!!

Remote start is for cold climates so you can warm up the car and defrost ice the windows while eating breakfast

you can cool your car with a/c but its not legal or worth it

dont buy cheap alarms for skylines and use a recommended installer who can hide it and warranty the work

Thanks mate, well its N/A so turbo timer won't defect it will it?

Mongoose M80 make anything defective?

I'm researching good installers in Mornington Penins area at the moment.

I wasn't planning on using the Smart phone features though

Great helpful tips!

Thanks mate, well its N/A so turbo timer won't defect it will it?

Mongoose M80 make anything defective?

I'm researching good installers in Mornington Penins area at the moment.

I wasn't planning on using the Smart phone features though

Great helpful tips!

Question is, why would you want to have a turbo timer installed on a car without a turbocharger?

In theory every car should be driven mild or ilde for a 30 seconds before shut off to let oil and water temps to stabilize ,, the metal in the block alloy heads on cast iron cools at different rates and warped heads used to be extremely common as well for the same reason , the turbo timer came from the days of old where

Turbo failure was common because of oil cooking and coating the suface in a gooey film of burned on oil and the quick fix was sent out in a dealer note to let the car idle for x number of min before shutdown or drive slow and mellow for a bit after leaving the highway , the same note was also a killer of rotor engines flog it then shut it off was extremely bad for them , the early turbo nissans , ford mustangs , saab , and some other companies had a really bad record of turbo failure in usa , the cars would come right off the higjway and be shut off( highways back them 75mph or no speed limit in daylight in montana) and it gets just as hot in summer , and oil wasnt as good either , people didnt change the oil twice as much on a turbo( like the manual says) they just drove it exaxtly like the old 283 small block chevy they traded in with so much sludge in the engine it sealed up the leaks and a putty knife was the only way of removing it.

My moms honey bee datto B210 had at least 25 mm on the outside of the engine block one day i decided it was time to clean the greasy pig off and it never ran right again it seemed to like the blanket of sludge to keep the hear in it on below freezing days ??? Go figure

But today common sense and good oil , changed often and australias slow highway speeds , plus lots more idling in traffic you really dont need a turbo timer its a old gimic that is still a feature on usa designed alarms mostly and it is a defect CFR the ADR number but its been hashed out a thousand times on here its wank factor now , it has merit but is it worthy of a defect sticker !! NO

but until the nanny states in this country loosen the knot around your throat when it comes to mods that are safe if installed properly and every state applies the same rules ( funny ADR means "australian rules " but each state seems to differ on some items that you can run without hassles

its big brother draconian thinking ( protect the public from lack of common sense and themselves ?)

Kinds like airbags - so many now you may as well drive inside a jumpy castle ? how about teaching people how to drive better first !!!

And now the mandatory rules for loss of car controls in all new cars

It wont end until we go to automatic drive cars , that leave gaps in traffic, cant speed , detects drugs and booze in your breath, and you cant steer , you sit in the back seat watching brainwashing tv and " Siri" drives you to the pub lol hey that would be useful sometimes haha

So long story Thats why lol