SAU Community

Diet And Work Out

chubs

I don't like training in a circuit of random stuff.

If you want to get FIT, that kind of stuff is ok.

If you want to get bigger or stronger, there are better proven ways of training - and that is not it.

Everything will give a result to a certain extent.

But some ways are more effective than others.

If you want to get bigger and or stronger and you are new to lifting, you can't beat a simple program mainly filled with compound movements.

Squat 3 x 10

Bench press 3 x 8

Bent row 3 x 8

Military press 3 x 8

deadlift 3 x 8

BB curl 3 x 8

Do the above 3 times a week.

if you get the sets and reps as lifted on a certain weight, increase the weight by 2.5 - 5kg the next time you do it.

If you did that and ate properly for at least 3 months you'd be on your way - Personally, if you haven't lifted and you're young, I'd suggest doing that for 12 months.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good to me :) will need to find time with somebody to go through propper form with things like squats and deadlift kind of lifting as those ive not done. Im 27 so not sure if you would call that young lol. Once my nightmarish work schedule frees up a bit though I will definately take you up on your earlier offer :)

Also noticed today my old man bought one of those tower200 door gym things. they seem a bit gimiky to me but gonna give that a go to.

They provide resistance so they work, but you don't have to pay money to do those exercises. People have no imagination these days, it's so easy to come up with resistance training just using stuff from around the house.

You could also give the 300 workout challenge a go ;)

• 2 weeks later...

P.s if you are starting out I want you to google compound movements. No reason for any advanced movements plymetrics etc.

...... Edit.... Gtst has already mentioned compound and some nice movements. Stick with them for now BUT stay away from deadlift. You will need someone to show you to complete a Romanian deadlift correctly

• 5 weeks later...

Eat clean, smash water all the time. Try and aim for at least 3 litres a day.

Try and eat little and often.

When you train like everyone has said before work on compound lifts like squats and deadlifts but like 25gtt mentiouned get someone to show you good form right because deadlifts and even squats with bad form can ruin you back bad. Start with quite easy weights until you get good form and work up slowly.

I usually finish off a workout with some cardio like 1k on a rower or 1k on the treadmill or even look into some high intensity interval training.

2 great cardio workouts i love to do with great results back to back are:

bike, level 13 @ 70rpm for 1 minute them sprint for 30 seconds above 100rpm for 15 minutes then jump on the row at level 10 and sprint for 100m every minute on the minute after the 100m slow down to a steady pace which is ur rest every minute so depending how fast u go u should be getting a rest for about 40 seconds every minute and do this for 10 minutes. trust me u will need it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Do mainly shoulders back and arm work so yer:

Bicept curls x 12 @ 15kgs

Tricept raises x 20 @ 15kgs

Shoulder flys x 30 @ 2x5kgs

Shoulder shrugs x 50 @2x20kgs

Lat Rows x10 @ 40kgs

Military press x 10 @ 40kgs

And doing three sets 3 times a week

Diet is high protien, like stupidly high mainly meat and eggs ;)

Am. 5'10" 90ks just under 17 inch arms :)

• 2 months later...

Do mainly shoulders back and arm work so yer:

Bicept curls x 12 @ 15kgs

Tricept raises x 20 @ 15kgs

Shoulder flys x 30 @ 2x5kgs

Shoulder shrugs x 50 @2x20kgs

Lat Rows x10 @ 40kgs

Military press x 10 @ 40kgs

And doing three sets 3 times a week

Diet is high protien, like stupidly high mainly meat and eggs ;)

Am. 5'10" 90ks just under 17 inch arms :)

wrong!!!!

did i mention wrong?

stick to compound movements to start with as TTT said. far better for you to get cut and increase muscle strength!

if your looking to drop some weight first the bulk after you want to go to resistance circuit work to keep the heart rate up and drop your food intake....depending on what your diet is like offcourse

from there you can train to strenght by dropping reps and increaseing weight or going size by increasing reps and dropping weight

and from above i would suggest get a trainer as most of the comments in this thread are from other peoples workouts nor are qualified in giving you the best options

just out of couriosity who in here is qualified in training??

Do we really need this many threads on gym and dieting?

Fark qualified, the trainers at my gym are "qualified"...there's also only one of them who can bench over 80kg. I'd rather listen to the guys who have achieved what I want to achieve - that to me is qualified.

spoken like a true mirror monkey birds! :P

Say what you want, there's a reason personal trainers don't have respect these days; AIF spitting out certificates like there's no tomorrow and you don't even have to have lifted a dumbell in your life. There's more to knowledge of exercise than what you can learn from textbooks; some things can't be taught with a few weeks of theory. It's also a heavily self marketed profession and humans are natural emulators. Like having a qualified doctor taking a drag on a cigarette while telling you to cut back on yours.

I have trained my share of people; am still training people as we speak..am I legally qualified? Hell no. But I look and live the part, and I get better results for my non-clients than those paying good money for gym trainers who'll step out of the industry in 3 months. Qualified means SFA these days.

Say what you want, there's a reason personal trainers don't have respect these days; AIF spitting out certificates like there's no tomorrow and you don't even have to have lifted a dumbell in your life. There's more to knowledge of exercise than what you can learn from textbooks; some things can't be taught with a few weeks of theory. It's also a heavily self marketed profession and humans are natural emulators. Like having a qualified doctor taking a drag on a cigarette while telling you to cut back on yours.

I have trained my share of people; am still training people as we speak..am I legally qualified? Hell no. But I look and live the part, and I get better results for my non-clients than those paying good money for gym trainers who'll step out of the industry in 3 months. Qualified means SFA these days.

i totally get what your saying but there is always a "but" not to mention the legalities of it if something goes wrong!

any PT or GI for that matter should continue their training otherwise they loose their qualification anyway. The other problem is PT's or the majority of them are super lazy and couldnt give a flying fark about the person they are training in the first instance! Get rid of those idiots as a start and the industry would be 100 times better already

As long as money hasn't changed hands, I don't think there's anything illegal about giving someone advice without being qualified to do so. That's always been a grain of salt / at your own risk scenario. But legalities aside, I know who I'd rather take advice from, if the choice is between the big guy benching 120 or the qualified guy who asks me why I have sores on my legs from deadlifting.

Wow massive thread revival. 'Captain Natro' has probably completely changed his workout... friggen October?

I would much rather take advice from someone who has been training for years and has a good body rather that a 'qualified' trainer (aka some quick certificate from an Institute of Fitness that I could complete myself and still not understand how best to work out) Most trainers I see have pathetic images of fitness and look like they've just left highschool. Most of the guys I know who are fit and experienced are either doing professional sports or a job that pays far more than a PT job ever would.

Btw this is general, just what I've seen and it's all seen at commercial chain gyms not powerlifting places or cross fits etc.