SAU Community

Tyre Suggestion

ecl

Heya,

Just purchased an r35 and picking her up tomorrow. Currently has potenzas which will need to be replaced in the not too distant future.

Anyone have any good recommendation for street tyres and suppliers (apart from the dealer). What other alternatives are there? I know there's the Dunlops.

Cheers

ECL

Cheers

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

1) Potenza RE070R (what is the difference between R2 and the normal one? which is better for just street use?)

2) Dunlop SP Sport 7010 A/S DSST (how do these compare to the potenzas?)

I'm at work so googling for reviews is a little hard (harder than posting on SAU) hahaha

if you dont need runflats, buy a set of michelin super sports - you'll lose a fair bit of weight ditching the runflats too

Cheers

Found a bit of a guide here too also

http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/09/nissan-gt-r-wheel-and-tire-fitment.html

Though i'll probably go for RFTs, do the Michelins cater for the stock TPMS?

Edited by ecl

Congrats on your purchase man. You won't regret it!! :thumbsup:

The Michelin SS's are designed for the GT-R but in a non-RFT capacity, and because of their wear rating, will be my next set of tyres for sure.

Check out NAGTROC forum in the USA. There are a few members who have been using the tyres successfully without an issue on the stock TPMS for a few months now.

Edited by Wardski

you can put the tpms in any tyre - it attaches to the rim

i have the oem tpms on my 21" ADVs and they work perfectly

all a runflat tyre really is is just a strengthened sidewall - which also adds weight in the worse place imo (excl. roof)

Edited by domino_z

just to add to comments, Tempe tyres in Sydney will sell the RFT's for about $650ea

Nah, I can get the Michelins for $575 a corner delivered to my door, and they have double the wear rating... :whistling:

Thanks

Wardski, can you PM me the contact for the Michelins?

I am still waiting back for shipping from the US but from calling a few places (for Potenza/Dunlop), it works out a few hundred bucks cheaper. The tradeoff is obviously the shipping time though I'm not in a hurry.

The Dunlop 7010 A/S also has a good wear rating too compared to the Potenza and the Dunlop 600

Nah, I can get the Michelins for $575 a corner delivered to my door, and they have double the wear rating... :whistling:

True but they are not RFT's

if you want the non-RFT's that's cool

Thanks

Wardski, can you PM me the contact for the Michelins?

I am still waiting back for shipping from the US but from calling a few places (for Potenza/Dunlop), it works out a few hundred bucks cheaper. The tradeoff is obviously the shipping time though I'm not in a hurry.

The Dunlop 7010 A/S also has a good wear rating too compared to the Potenza and the Dunlop 600

PM'd :thumbsup:

Where are you guys all getting these michelins from and how are they grip wise vs the stock tyres.

You can get them from the US.. well, you have to get them from the US because Michelin will not be releasing them here (I contacted them already). So their loss IMO :whistling:

Refer here for user comments:

http://www.nagtroc.o...ally-announced/

Edited by Wardski

Got quoted low $300 for delivery to my door for a set of GTR tyres from tirerack. Unforunately, they don't sell BBS to other markets so i'll need to find them locally or from somewhere else. Looking for either BBS or Advans.

I think i'll go for the Dunlop 7010 A/S RFT. They have good wear so it should last for a while and good grip for the street. However, with that said, I do love the tread pattern of the potenzas (a few guys asked whether they were legal lol). They are roughly the same price so i'm still a bit undecided.

The michelins are only $200 or so cheaper so it's probably safer to just go RFTs (for me).

For non-RFTs, there are also yoko advan sports and pirellis (both are quite cheaper) but again, not RFTs

on a similar note, anyone know any good distributors for advans (preferably cheap)

looking at advan TC III or RS-D's in 20s but a bit more aggressive offet so it sits a bit more flush. Does anyone know if having more aggressive offsets affect anything handling wise on the r35?

7010s are a great choice at this stage for a street tyre if you want a RFT. Expect excellent tyre life.

I feel the jury is still out on the pss, especially it's on track performance. Photos on NAGTROC don't show it wearing very well on track, much like my ps2's on an m3.

7010s are a great choice at this stage for a street tyre if you want a RFT. Expect excellent tyre life.

I feel the jury is still out on the pss, especially it's on track performance. Photos on NAGTROC don't show it wearing very well on track, much like my ps2's on an m3.

Of course, its common sense that the PSS's won't wear as good, being such a low profile and with no RFT side wall strengthening.

But for a street tyre - which is all mine will be used for - they are not as brutal on the bumps, and work well in the wet :thumbsup: