SAU Community

Dakin/Xeedy HD RB20DET clutch problems

I just got a Dakin/Xeedy HD clutch fitted to my car but ive been having problems changing gears, as soon as you put load on the engine goin through the gears it wont change and will grind the gears (not flat changing) but if you drive normally and change its fine, i had no problems with the standard clutch before, anyone ever experienced this problem with HD clutches up behind the rb20det 5spd box and if so how did you fix the problem?

it just seems like its the weight of the clutch is too heavy for the gearbox

any help or idea's would be much appreciated

maybe the slave needs to be re-bled. if there is air in the hydraulic system it may not be lifting the plate properly. Hence when you push the clutch in quickly the air or bubbles are being compressed.

I have a heavy duty exedy clutch on my RB20 and its fine, ive never had a prob with it.

If the pedal engages very close to the floor it could be

1 Air in the system

2 Wrong height thrust bearing carrier

3 too much freeplay in the underdash pushrod.

Do 3 and 1 first cos 2 means pulling the box back out.

Cheers

ken

the main problem is each time i go through the gears i have to hold the clutch in for about 2 or 3 secounds to change without grinding(this happens in every gear), i was goin to drag race my car a few weekends ago but i dont want to destroy the gear box and the way it is id have to back off at each gear to change, its really annoying

i put a dakin clutch in my car and have had the same problems i replaced every thing slave, master, thrust bearing,bleed it nothing has fixed it never again will i buy dakin they can stick to makeing air cons

ive got mine adjusted as best as posible but will never be like it was

OYEAHA - When we contacted Dakin/Xeedy they said what they are prepared to do is supply a Standard clutch plate and use it in conjunction with the HD pressure plate. Its just a real prick, obviously the clutch plate is to heavy for the gearbox to operate properly and release quickly..

You probably need to adjust the clutch. I remember it being a bit of a pain but still able to be done in your backyard ;) I had a Daikin HD clutch (2800lb) put into my 32, and i was having problems engaging gears without it grinding. I think the adjustment that needs to be made is what GTRKen is talking about ("too much freeplay in the underdash pushrod").

(sorry for the lack of tech names:) If you follow the clutch pedal up it comes to a shaft (approx 4MM diameter) that goes thru the firewall when the clutch is disengaged. This can be adjusted so the shaft pushes into the master cylinder a little more when the clutch is pushed in. I can't remember exactly how to adjust it, but have a look - it's not too hard to figure out.

After I adjusted this, my cluch was fine :)

Good Luck

46n2

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update the clutch is still being a problem we have narrowed the problem down to the speed/weight of the clutch been the main problem, no word from xeedy as to what they are goin to do either i pull it out and throw it away or grind the **** out of my gearbox

The clutch engages/dissengages fine but you still have to wait a couple of seconds till the clutch to slow down to grab the next gear....

I would agree with R31Heaven, I would be susspicous of your sync's, try redline oil in the box if it still grinds it may be the clutch weight but I doubt that would be so bad.. change the box oil dude.. I had the same prob when I first got my car and the oil change has fixed the issue, I know thatthe sync are bad and that this will only be temp/eventually I will have to get the sync replaced, but if you change the oil and it goes away then you will know what the issue is..

Oh one other thing to check is that because of the presure the new clutch puts on your lines the and master and slave cylinder you may be getting leak by and then your clutch is not engaging/disengaging properly, I just cant see the actual clutch giving your problem, I am just about to have my cylinders sleeved with a stainles steels sleeve and new plungers because of this same sort of problem.