SAU Community

Crinkle Finish Paint

Hi guys, what the deal with Wrinkle (or is it crinkle? Ha!) paint on rocker covers etc on skylines? is it a special paint or ordinary paint applied differently?Btw tried search but could find SFA

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/wrinkleplus/

its ordinary paint made by VHT..about 20$ at any auto store...it is tricky to get right too..i painted my coil cover and timing belt cover 3 times before i was happy with the finish and even then its not that great..You got through a can of the stuff pretty quick too i went through 2 or 3...

You apply it very thick and as it dries it bubbles up, but getting a uniform finish where it wrinkles evenly is hard..helps if you wave heat over it like a hair dryer as it dries...i think for best results ideally you would need heatlamps or something that can apply heat evenly...

I think some even bake their painted surface in the oven if possible or put it on the car and run the engine to bake it in.

Longer bakes or higher temps pronounce the wrinkle effect. I think if you google wrinkle rocker cover there is a honda forum where a ton of guys are experimenting with different baking methods and temps to get different results.

Hi guys, i picked up some of this paint (VHT) from the local auto one store and you are right! its a bitch too apply evenly, i applied it to one rocker cover and it come out like its supposed to the other one not so great, according to the instructions on the can the paint has a low temp tolerance 177 C but can be baked in a low oven