SAU Community

i use the "no time" excuse because i simply don't have the time to take the car to a mechanic to get done. but i do take that into account when pricing the car as well. having said that, the cars i have sold "as is" have always then passed rwc's first time with no issues either. most of the stuff a car may fail a rwc for is easily checked yourself. as long as the tyres are good, there's no oil leaks, the brake pads are good and it drives well (no weird noises or vibrations) then there won't be much trouble with it passing a rwc. and besides, a car can be a complete lemon despite passing a rwc. they don't check actual condition of the engine, etc. just check that it is safe for the road. hence the fact that you can have a car pass a rwc that could be defected due to illegal mods.

i agree to a certain extent. there are plenty of things joe average cant pick up on. eg i inspected a subaru forester for sale with no RWC for a friend once, i declared it to be fine to pass RWC, only to have the inspecting officer say that the drivers seat needed replacing due to having too much wear on the padding! goes to show that its not always the simple stuff that matters.

Thanks a lot guys. That was more than enough to answer my question. Car that comes with RWC does not mean anything. When I bought my R33, it comes with RWC but after I transfer the registration and take the car for a service, my mechanic told me there is an oil leak and several other problems that does not pass the RWC.

From then on I do not care bout RWC because I will rather spend $80 on a full RWC check, engine check and let my mechanic have a look at the car before I buy any car.

that makes perfect sense IF there is no problems.. otherwise that small sum of $80 can get pretty big!!

In my experience, that is a very naive way to purchase a car.

i agree to a certain extent. there are plenty of things joe average cant pick up on. eg i inspected a subaru forester for sale with no RWC for a friend once, i declared it to be fine to pass RWC, only to have the inspecting officer say that the drivers seat needed replacing due to having too much wear on the padding! goes to show that its not always the simple stuff that matters.

that makes perfect sense IF there is no problems.. otherwise that small sum of $80 can get pretty big!!

In my experience, that is a very naive way to purchase a car.

What i mean is, I will spend $80 to do a full RWC check to see if there is anything needed to repair in order to pass RWC, trust me I have enough experience in dealing with car without RWC. This is my sixth purchase and I got ripped off twice before and it is a serious one. The second one gave me a really hard time. It gets dragged on for 2 months. He just wouldnt leave me alone although I'm the victim. I learned it the hard way.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will definitely post a picture if I bought the car.

After some research, I think 17k for a 1999 r34 at 110000 kms onwards is really overpriced. Am I wrong?

What i mean is, I will spend $80 to do a full RWC check to see if there is anything needed to repair in order to pass RWC, trust me I have enough experience in dealing with car without RWC. This is my sixth purchase and I got ripped off twice before and it is a serious one. The second one gave me a really hard time. It gets dragged on for 2 months. He just wouldnt leave me alone although I'm the victim. I learned it the hard way.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will definitely post a picture if I bought the car.

After some research, I think 17k for a 1999 r34 at 110000 kms onwards is really overpriced. Am I wrong?

its getting towards the high end for stock examples, but yes you are wrong, it is not "really overpriced"

they do have the neo engine, but if the engine cover has been taken off the engine looks very much like the standard rb25. only major difference in looks is the throttle body setup (other small differences, but throttle body is the easiest to spot)

Guys,

There is a seller selling his car which is only 3 weeks after the import took place. No rego and no rwc obviously selling at $14000 on 78k.

another one is 11500 at 90k (not new import) with rego but no rwc

In your opinion, should I just get the one that has just arrived in australia?

Both sellers told me they are willing to drive the car to my mechanic for a full check. So I guess they are confident in their car.

WHICH ONE? OMGGGGGGGG

Edited by R33 Gts-T Sedan

Yes, meeting with the seller this saturday morning at my mechanic's. If there are no major repairs required to get the car in good condition, I'll buy it immediately. If repairs will cost above $500, I'll look at the newly import one.

Look and check both; and drive both.

Ensure that the recent import is able to be (or has already been) complianced, otherwise it's just going to be a track car.

Came back from checking the car.

Engine:

Very bad oil leaks. Something that looks like an engine mount located beside the two front tyres cracked both of them (forgotten whats the name). Timing belt has to be replaced. 4 tyres are worn out. Exhaust damaged still usable but have to change.

Body:

A few scracthes. A few rusty area. Body looks so old compared to other R34.

HKS suspension with knocking sound. (common but don't like it so its my personal choice to change all of them cost around $2000 maybe.

AND other problems.

Cost a little over $2000 to repair everything.

Seller reduced the price for me down to $10,500 but I'm just worried bout the rust. There might be rust in other place that I couldn't see.

Opinion guys? Look for another car patiently or grab this one and fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

Most rR34's are overpriced. I sold my auto R34 with a ton of mods and 135,000kms for 13.5k just because the HKS turbo was noisy. The guy got a gret deal and i was being realistic. This was over a year ago. Some of the prices I see today make me LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Came back from checking the car.

Engine:

Very bad oil leaks. Something that looks like an engine mount located beside the two front tyres cracked both of them (forgotten whats the name). Timing belt has to be replaced. 4 tyres are worn out. Exhaust damaged still usable but have to change.

Body:

A few scracthes. A few rusty area. Body looks so old compared to other R34.

HKS suspension with knocking sound. (common but don't like it so its my personal choice to change all of them cost around $2000 maybe.

AND other problems.

Cost a little over $2000 to repair everything.

Seller reduced the price for me down to $10,500 but I'm just worried bout the rust. There might be rust in other place that I couldn't see.

Opinion guys? Look for another car patiently or grab this one and fix it.

Was this r34 sort of blue/grey with gold drift teks?