SAU Community

Purchasing From Within Japan

brett982441

Hi everyone,

First post from a long time reader!

I'm currently in Japan, and will be for another 10 months or so. It has been a dream of mine to purchase an R32 GT-R for many years now. My master plan is to purchase one here, drive it within Japan for the next 10 months, and then import it back to Australia (for everyday use) when I head back.

Stuff I have worked out so far:

Can't import R32 GT-Rs made between July 1991 and May 1992.

Post May 1992 models would be preferable due to already having side-intrusion bars fitted.

The main thing I am not sure about is to what extent the car must be returned to factory condition upon importing it into Australia. For example, the majority of R32 GT-Rs in Japan seem to have basic modifications such as aftermarket wheels, exhausts, suspension, steering wheels, 320km/h gauge clusters etc., unless I pay the premium for a completely stock one.

Taking into account that I would like to register the car with normal road registration, can anyone please tell me to what extent the car I import needs to be in factory condition?

Thanks heaps :)

The main thing I am not sure about is to what extent the car must be returned to factory condition upon importing it into Australia. For example, the majority of R32 GT-Rs in Japan seem to have basic modifications such as aftermarket wheels, exhausts, suspension, steering wheels, 320km/h gauge clusters etc., unless I pay the premium for a completely stock one.

Hello, Nice to meet you and good luck with your search.

Are there many stock R32 GTR's left over there? It was very hard for me to find a completely stock R34 GTR and I wanted a particular colour and spec. And the clean close to stock ones over there cost just as much as they did over here in Aus (and thats before you even got them on to the boat + compliance - etc).

There are many which are around 95% stock, with only an aftermarket exhaust for example, but the completely stock ones are few and far between. They are at least double the price of one with a pile of mods, seemingly regardless of mileage. I'm not really too fussed on the one I buy being 100% stock, I just don't want to run into trouble when the time comes to have it complied.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any definitive information on what is allowed and what isn't. I've read that compliance places often say the brake pads need replacing for example, and that you have to replace them with original Nissan pads. Stuff like this is really turning me off the whole procedure, if only I knew what parts have to be stock, I would be much better off. I might try contacting an importer about it.

Someone like Kristian/Iron Chef will give you a more accurate answer but I believe you must own the car for a minimum 12 months before you can privately import the car (which is easier/cheaper then importing as per usual). Obviously the good thing about doing it this way is that you are not constrained by what is and isn't "eligible for import".

Just something to think about.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have one more question about the necessary side-intrusion bars if you don't mind :)

If I purchase an 89/90/91 model over here, and then swap the doors with those from a later model while I am over here, would it be ok? I'm just assuming it would be much easier/cheaper to buy second hand doors here, rather than paying a compliance shop to find and fit them in the Australia.

Cheers.