SAU Community

My Bayside Blue R34 Vspec Gtr - Finally Detailed

Put those old badges on your toolbox, that is what I did :)

Yep mate, I'm sure they wont go to waste. The chrome is still in great condition, its just the discolouration on the 'R' from normal years of use.

They would look great on a N/A R34 GT though, or even an Excel.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Part 4 - New GTR badges are now on.

The front one just had two screws holding it on. The rear one had double sided tape on it, which was a pain to remove.

With the rear, first thing I did was take exact measurements of the badge placement. Then used fishing line to harmlessly cut through the old tape behind the old badge and then removed the residue with my fingers and alot of rubbing and peeling. A bit of Eucalyptus oil on a rag also helped here.

This was followed by masking up the area around where the old badge was (to ensure the badge placement was completely accurate), then compounded the required area with Meguiars Ultimate Compound for clean up. New badge was then applied and then afterwards, the area was polished with Meguiars Ultimate Polish and then waxed with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax.

It was done in this order as I believe it is not recommended to apply stickers or badges to a freshly waxed / polished surface as they can move when exposed to sun - etc.

Cheers.

compare1024x683800x534.jpg

img2111800x598.jpg

img2113800x598.jpg

img2118800x598.jpg

Edited by iwanta34gtr

Ive already replaced the front badge but i wasn't game enough to replace the rear as i know how much of a pain it is to get the old tape / residue off completely, then re-align the badge perfectly, but you have done a fantastic job and inspired me to try it after seeing the results.

Great work again.

Damn bro. You are more obsessed than me!! Love the passion you bring man!!

Car is so damn clean!!

Thanks for the kind words mate. I've seen your car in the other thread too - looks really sexy and clean.

• 1 month later...

Update.

The Meguiars 'Ultimate' products which were applied at the start of this thread are still holding up well.

Dedicated some time towards cleaning her engine bay.

No real tricks here, started with degreasing and hosing out the whole area (After covering required items - air box, alarm, AFM's - etc) avoiding electrical areas and valley cover.

Required materials -

1) Degreaser and standard hose with spray nozzle

2) Autosol and microfibre cloths for metal polishing

3) Mothers powerball for hard to reach areas

4) Meguiars ultimate compound for painted surfaces

5) A few hours worth of blood, sweat and tears

Pics attached. Also took a few better shots of her new front GTR badge.

I'm new to photography, having lots of fun learning.

engine1024x683.jpg

rb261024x683.jpg

fullengine1024x683.jpg

twinturbo1024x683.jpg

gtrangled1024x683.jpg

badge1024x683.jpg

Edited by iwanta34gtr

How does the rainX stuff go on removing watermarks on glass? I've tried a lot and i cant seem to get rid of the ones on my rear window?

I have used RainX Xtreme Clean polish on a few of my previous cars to remove the majority of hard glass water marks.

If you looked very closely from certain angles, you could still see a few of them - however it definately brought back the clarity and reflections.

u definitely have a gift & eye for detail when it comes to photography

But seriously, that has come up looking absolutely immaculate. I love that colour and what better way to show it off in all it's glory! well done mate

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...

Windscreen wipers. Sound exciting yeah?

As this has turned in to a bit more of a 'blog', thought i'd post my endeavours over the weekend, as exciting as they may be.

My windscreen wiper arms were a little worse for wear - with rust, scratches and discolouration all over them.

Structurally, they were 100% so I decided to spend some time restoring them.

The process -

1) Sanded down the surface with wet and dry sand paper - 800 grit, 1200 grit, 2000 grit

2) Spent alot of extra time around the parts which had rusted - ensuring the surface was 100% smooth

3) Cleaned the surface with water and microfibre cloths, prep for painting

4) Popped the screw caps off the bottom of the arms, as they still looked brand new and didnt require painting

5) Started the masking process, lots of newspaper and 3M blue tape

7) Left the spray can out in the sun for a good 15 minutes+ to let it heat up and spray easily

6) Applied 10 thin and even coats of heat resistant 'flat black' paint, sourced from Bunnings

For something so visible through the windscreen - I'm very happy with the result.

Plan on doing the same to my rear wiper next weekend.

Some before and after shots attached below.

Cheers.

wipersbefore1.jpg

wipersbefore2.jpg

wipersbefore3.jpg

wipersafter3.jpg

wipersafter1.jpg

wipersafter2.jpg

wipersafter4.jpg

Good work! I in fact did the same to my wipers but I went as far as applying multiple layers of paint stripper to get all of the old paint off those intricate areas underneath around that spring etc...I went too far hehe

When are you going to start tickling that engine of yours? :)

I had my 2.5yo ute detailed yesterday, the best $180 i've ever spent. It now looks in better condition than the day I picked it up from Holden.

Seriously, with the amount of money people on this forum spend on mods, take a months break and get it detailed instead.